Making chocolate protein shake tastier?

Options
I use Optimum Nutrition's Hydro Platinum Whey in the chocolate flavor. I've been using it for about two years and although I thought the taste was great for the first year, I've gotten very tired of it and find it difficult to get down. Is there anything I can do besides mixing it with milk to help?

Replies

• polza1888
    polza1888 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Add peanut butter, I use that a lot with shakes, gives it a great kick :) Try mixing your shakes up, try different flavours like banana and blend in actual bananas with it...
  • laurastomlin
    laurastomlin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree. I love to add a couple tsps to my chocolate shake...very good!
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I can't add PB because it's a migraine trigger. Anything else?
  • martintanz
    Options
    I mix in half a frozen banana, and sometimes a couple of spoonfuls of lowfat vanilla yogurt. Helps with the texture. If that doesn't help, maybe consider switching brands and/or flavors.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I put the powder in with my overnight oats. You could try some Greek yogurt and fruit with milk/almond milk. I've also seen shakes made with Cottage cheese and milk but they are a bit lumpy for my taste.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If you don't want milk, try unsweetened almond milk to thicken. Blue Diamond is only 40 calories.

Cocoa powder. Chocolately and a good source of fiber.
    About 5-7 eye dropper drops of peppermint extract
    PB2 powdered peanut butter
    Any of a billion sugar-free syrups.

And this one: a little cocoa and 1/2 to 3/4 cup of frozen blueberries. Blueberry chocolate is awesome!
  • polza1888
    Options
    Cut up 1 fresh banana and 1 cup strawberries and blend them with your chocolate whey protein powder drink. The fresh fruit can add sweetness, along with numerous vitamins and minerals.
  • polza1888
    Options
    I put the powder in with my overnight oats. You could try some Greek yogurt and fruit with milk/almond milk. I've also seen shakes made with Cottage cheese and milk but they are a bit lumpy for my taste.

Agree, overnight oats are great
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Anyone have an exact recipe for this? I just started eating overnight oats last week and the first time I tried it with my protein powder, it was disgusting. I did about 1/2 cup rolled oats, some regular milk and about 5 spoonfuls of blueberry Chobani greek yogurt. When I got it out in the morning, I mixed in a little bit of the protein powder.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

Anyone have an exact recipe for this? I just started eating overnight oats last week and the first time I tried it with my protein powder, it was disgusting. I did about 1/2 cup rolled oats, some regular milk and about 5 spoonfuls of blueberry Chobani greek yogurt. When I got it out in the morning, I mixed in a little bit of the protein powder.

You can check my diary, its open. The most important thing is to mix the powder with the milk BEFORE adding oats etc to it. I make mine in a mason jar..Put in milk, add powder => shake, add yogurt => shake, add oats + fruit => shake. Put in fridge overnight, take to work + eat.

The first time I tried it I added the powder too late and it turned into a gross mess too :(
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    my BF makes a very tasty shake with his chocolate protein powder, water, ice cubes, a bit of orange juice (maybe 1/2 cup), ~5 frozen strawberries, and about 1/4-1/2 cup frozen blueberries. you'd never know it was mixed mostly with water, it's got so much flavour! at first i thought the fruits and chocolate would be kind of gross, but it's actually very good!
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Since peanut butter is a migrane trigger not sure if PB2 will work for you - another poster recommended this. I also use PB2 and add quick oats and a frozen banana.

One thing I've started to do is use 2 different flavors of whey also. One scoop of chocolate and one scoop of banana cream... Tastes very good...
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    any baking extract will change the flavor of any shake, I like coconut, almond, and orange myself. Be brave and try anything you might have in the house, fresh and frozen fruits, veggies (avocado, spinach and see what happens. One other suggestions I found on this site was using sugar free pudding powder. Jello makes cheesecake, lemon, etc and adding a tsp or more of these will also vary the taste!

enjoy
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Since peanut butter is a migrane trigger not sure if PB2 will work for you - another poster recommended this. I also use PB2 and add quick oats and a frozen banana.

One thing I've started to do is use 2 different flavors of whey also. One scoop of chocolate and one scoop of banana cream... Tastes very good...

Good idea in Mixing.

Maybe try switching protein powders. I know it took a lot for me to down Protein Shakes. I would actually hold my nose and chug. I've started taking the BSN Dessert products and mixing actual fruit with it and it is AMAZING. Not sure if it's the protein or the mixing.:drinker:
  • quiltergirlar
    quiltergirlar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know this sound gross, but try using diet root beer. Tastes great.

Can you switch to a vanilla shake? I've used diet root beer and diet orange for that, yum. Also, you can buy sugar free pudding mixes and mix it with vanilla. Gives you lots of flavor combinations.

Tammy