Days when you can't get enough to eat

Options
Some days I feel hungry all day and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat. I'm still hungry.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to eat to conquer the hunger on those days?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    When I'm facing hunger issues I tend to look at volume rather than taste as my primary goal.

Example: Compare how much food volume you can eat, in tilapia and green beans, vs cheeseburgers.

It's an extreme example but hopefully the point is obvious.
  • hamstermann
    hamstermann Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    low-calorie fiber (brown Rice, whole wheat breads) and low-calorie proteins (Eggs, boneless and skinless chicken breasts with no fat on them, etc. ).
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have these days =)
    I just bring a variety of low-cal snacks that allow me to pretty much eat all day without racking up the calories

Yesterday was one of those days and I had
    a protein shake for breakfast,
    a greek yogurt,
    2 rice cakes with peanut butter and banana on them,
    some spinach with feta cheese,
    some veggies (cucumber, carrots, peppers, etc.) for a crunchy snack,
    cashews,
    almonds,
    a cliff bar,

and after all of that, I was still able to have a yummy dinner (meatloaf, potatoes, fried peppers) without going over my calorie goal. =)
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    When I'm facing hunger issues I tend to look at volume rather than taste as my primary goal.

Example: Compare how much food volume you can eat, in tilapia and green beans, vs cheeseburgers.

It's an extreme example but hopefully the point is obvious.

Thanks SS - I like this and never thought of it this way!
  • BeautifulBetsy
    BeautifulBetsy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Are you a bottomless pit because your craving something specific and not eating it because it's considered bad for you? I have days where I crave chicken wings or pizza and will be hungry all day, unless I eat what I'm craving.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I have these days every once in awhile too, and I never know what to do
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Women like me tend to have that problem every 28 days or so. Frustrating! :grumble:
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have them too...a few days in a row now. Good suggestions I will have to try here.
  • Pawsfurthought
    Pawsfurthought Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We all have those days!! You can power through!! :) I will usually try to snack wisely, but let myself snack (within reason - 32 bags of 100 cal snacks are probably not gonna be a great choice!!) If I still can't get enough, I sit myself down for a lil soul searching. Am I really hungry for food?? I once had someone say that lots of over eaters - myself included - overeat because they are trying to fill their holes. These might be mistaken for a hungry tummy, but are often a hunger of a different type; what are you dissatisfied with? Who are you annoyed or angry at? Why are you upset? What is your SELF hungry for?? Though I thought this was all hooey, and even got pissed at her for this, once I hunkered down and really thought and felt about it, I came to the uncomfortable conclusion that she was right, at least for me. So, I stop look for the right sammich, and start talking to myself (um, try this step quietly...tends to draw the attention of guys with butterfly nets if it's out loud - voice of experience here, lol!). Seeing where I'm at, what I can do for me. I know it sounds hokey, but I pretend that I am talking to someone I care about. Lots of times, this really helps me get to the heart of the issues making me wanna stuff my feelings down with food. Also helps me identify a plan of attack to solve these issues, so I don't hafta keep doing this.

WHEW! Well that was deep for a Tuesday mornin'!! But still hope maybe this'll help!!

Happy losing!
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This happens to me for two reasons - 1. I have a cold, or any other reason my tastebuds aren't working right (say I burned them on soup or hot coffee). Somehow I become insatiable because I want a particular food but it doesn't taste right, so I keep trying. And 2. whenever I'm stressed and/or hormonal. Fortunately I've keyed into these things and put a stop to it when it happens - or at the very least head for the fruits and veggies. That way if I go over my cals, I know it's with more healthful items than candy and chinese food!
  • jojo4cats
    jojo4cats Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Here is my secret weapon ( and so do many Asian ladies) -- white fungus (White Tree-Ear) & Azuki Bean & Red Dates. I usually cook 2 heads of the white fungus, 10 dried red dates and 0.75 cup of Azuki bean + 10-12 cups of water with a slow cooker, set with high heat and cook them overnight and next morning, you will have about one week serving. I drank a cup after each meal. I don't add any sweetener like others do, as Azuki bean & red dates all contain nature sweetness to it. It's extremely low carb, low calories (less than 40 calories a cup), and the white fungus is an awesome source of plant based collagen, great for your skin!!

On those days I just can't seem to stop eating, I first make sure I have enough carb and protein that day, then I drink as many cup of the soup as I want. Works great for me & my skin. :)

Here is some info about the white fungus: http://www.chinesesouppot.com/2-common-ingredients/257-white-fungus
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Here is my secret weapon ( and so do many Asian ladies) -- white fungus (White Tree-Ear) & Azuki Bean & Red Dates. I usually cook 2 heads of the white fungus, 10 dried red dates and 0.75 cup of Azuki bean + 10-12 cups of water with a slow cooker, set with high heat and cook them overnight and next morning, you will have about one week serving. I drank a cup after each meal. I don't add any sweetener like others do, as Azuki bean & red dates all contain nature sweetness to it. It's extremely low carb, low calories (less than 40 calories a cup), and the white fungus is an awesome source of plant based collagen, great for your skin!!

On those days I just can't seem to stop eating, I first make sure I have enough carb and protein that day, then I drink as many cup of the soup as I want. Works great for me & my skin. :)

Here is some info about the white fungus: http://www.chinesesouppot.com/2-common-ingredients/257-white-fungus

I need to get to an Asian market - that sounds like a tasty way to add some soup to my lunches on cold days
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Some days I feel hungry all day and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat. I'm still hungry.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to eat to conquer the hunger on those days?

Yup being in a calorie deficit is not easy. Nothing is really easy about this journey. I find ways to keep my mind busy. Keep busy with chores, go read a book somewhere away from food and the kitchen. Drinking lots of water and herbal teas help but the bottom line is you are going to feel a bit of hunger and it will not kill you.
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I try to eat more salad, veggies, popcorn etc, but I also find if I eat something with a little fat in it, it helps to satisfy the hungries. So I might add some avocado or lean protein to my meal.
  • MarlaMcClanahan
    Options
    It's almost never what I want, but if I will just drink those sixteen ounces of water, it will usually do wonders.
    Nonetheless, sometimes we just want FOOD, not water. The other night I was like that: I'd had enough calories but I still wanted to eat. I was so tempted to eat some decadent brownies, but instead I got a little muesli, honey, and milk, and I was fine. Did I go over on my calories? Yes. But was it better than REALLY going over and feeling sick at heart and in body? Yes. And one thing I find confirmed more and more: real food is more satisfying than junk food. It just is.
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I drink LOTS of water. I find that even if I seem to be craving a specific thing like pizza, if I give in to the feeling it still doesn't satisfy. I will use cottage cheese as an extra something if I am hungry - because I think my body is usually craving more protein because I seldom max out my protein macro. Other than that I just try to busy myself until its time for bed and I wake up feeling better.
  • MarlaMcClanahan
    Options
    I like that. Realizing it won't kill you is important. Hunger pangs only last about 20 minutes, then your body takes a meal off your gut. At least that's what I've heard, and I know the duration of the pangs is true. That nagging, just want something to eat feeling, ....that can last a lot longer.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    all of the above. plus, what helps me is to set a cut-off time in the evening so I don't binge late night. I set an alarm on my phone that says, It's xxx o'clock you've had enough to eat." it's working for now.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Beer. Lots, and lots, of beer.

Works for me.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY know this feeling! haha, I'm glad to hear many of us do here. I found that if I don't eat a good breakfast, I'm in trouble! I try for good, high protein (keeps you full for longer), high fiber foods for breakfast.. and use up to 400 cals, but sometimes less. Good Luck, hope you find your solution!