80 to 100 pounds to lose or have lost.

Options
I am just wondering how long should I allow myself to lose a total of about 100 pounds? It's really frustrating when I lose ounces for like several weeks and then I lose 4 pounds another week. I don't get it at all but that seems to be the pattern I am on right now, although, I must admit I haven't gained an back just lose like .4 or .6 and the a whomping 4 lbs, why? Is it something I'm doing or just my body doing its own thing? How can I maintain a big weight loss like 4 pounds every week or is that impossible?

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    give yourself a year, although it may come off sooner.

52 weeks x 1.5 lbs per week = 78 lbs
    52 weeks x 2 lbs per week = 104 lbs

try out the 2 lbs per week rate at first and see if you can maintain the necessary cardio exercise and calorie restriction. MFP will guide you. if not, scale back to 1.5 lbs per week.

don't obsess over your scale. it means nothing on a day to day basis. it can only show long term trends.

what you weigh on the scale is you + other stuff inside of you. the other stuff (e.g. water retention) can easily be much greater than the actual fat loss for the week.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I was the same way at first...weeks with a big loss and weeks with no loss or small gains. However over the past year, I averaged a pound a week. I have my MFP set at 1.5 pounds a week now but for the first 6 months it was set at a 2 pound loss. I never went over on a weekly basis except for one week. And I weigh and measure everything to be really accurate. So for me, I know I am going to get there...just not as fast as some people.

You have to realize that calories are not necessarily a daily or even weekly thing. The weight you burned off last week may not show on the scale until next week. So never give up...eventually the calorie deficit will show up in a loss on the scale. And I'm assuming you are a woman? That makes it even worse. For two weeks every month we get to deal with our hormones telling the scale to lie. Super fun.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'd say give it a year, possibly sooner (like 10-11 months) or maybe even longer. I have lost 81 pounds and it has taken me 46 weeks. I have about 6 more weeks until I hit my year mark. I have 19 pounds to go if I want to make it by my 1 year anniversary. That means I'd have to lose about 3.2 pounds per week until then. I don't see that happening so I'm good with at least 10 more pounds lost by then. I used to want to hurry and lose it and be done with it but it has really been a lifestyle change so I am okay with SLOWLY losing it. I am hoping that the slower I lose it the less likely I'll have excess skin.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I saw this last year around New Years and it really motivated me...you get a snapshot of how even 1 pound a week is life changing when you put it all together. It made me 'ok' wit slower loss...funny to think now how I truly didn't believe I would ever get this far!

If I lose 1 pound a week....

By Valentine's Day, I'd be 7 pounds lighter.
    I'm loving it!
    By St. Patrick's Day, I'd be ll pounds lighter.
    With the luck of the Irish, I'll make my goal!
    By Easter, I'd be 16 pounds lighter.
    I'd be a cute bunny!
    By Memorial Day, I'd be 23 pounds lighter!
    Won't let it rain on my parade!
    By Flag Day, I'd be 25 pounds lighter.
    Boy, could I wave my flag, then!
    By Independence Day, I'd be 27 pounds lighter.
    That's a great independence from over eating!
    By Labor Day, I'd be 36 pounds lighter.
    What a wonderful reward for my hard work!
    By Columbus Day, I'd be 41 pounds lighter.
    What a joy to discover what I can do!
    By Halloween, I'd be 44 pounds lighter.
    I didn't think I had a ghost of a chance!
    By Thanksgiving, I'd be 47 pounds lighter.
    I have so much to be thankful for!
    By Christmas Eve, I'd be 51 pounds lighter.
    Talk about being merry!
    By New Year's Eve, I'd be 52 pounds lighter.
    It's not just a new year, it's a new ME!
  • alanbluecat
    Options
    I started off needing to lose just over 100 pounds and thought it would take roughly a year. I'm on track with or slightly ahead averaging just over 2lbs per week. I've lost around 50 lbs so far.

Although it has averaged around 2 lbs per week I don't think there was any individual week where it was 2 lbs. For me it usually goes - big loss, small loss (or no loss), big loss, small loss..... I know it is frustrating when you have done all the right things and the scale doesn't move but if you continue to do the right things you will keep making progress over a longer period than a week. The general trend will always be down and you will eventually get there. Good luck!
  • casswash2400
    casswash2400 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I figured it would take about a year or so, just a little impatient and which I could see some dramastic changes over night but I gots to realize that this is a life changing event. Thanks again.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I figured it would take about a year or so, just a little impatient and which I could see some dramastic changes over night but I gots to realize that this is a life changing event. Thanks again.

you'll lose weight faster at the beginning because your higher body mass requires a higher # of BMR/TDEE calories each day. so the good news is that even if it takes a whole year, you'll lose more of it in the first 6 months than in the last 6 months. that will keep you motivated.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I started mfp in January and my average is about 2lb a week although it has been slowing down more recently. Although I'm not yet at goal I feel so much healthier now and I'm happy for the rest of the weight to come off slowly. Good luck with your journey x
  • ibazz
    ibazz Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you fo rthe posts it's helping me I have over 100lbs to lose and Im just starting my lifestyle change so this road is a moving. LOL keep up the post its helping my motivation!
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The number may seem daunting, but you seem to have a positive attitude and that will help you immensly during your weightloss journey. Take your measurements as well so you can look at your improvement on weeks that you don't see the scale budge. On the weeks that I lose less weight I try not to get discouraged and I just spend more time at the gym and try to drink plenty of water.

Best of luck!
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    No reason to give youself any kind of time limit. Everyone is different and I thought lossing this much weight would take about 2 years and I have lost it in 8 months. Its just kinda happens at whatever level of dedication you want to put in :) Best of luck to you!!!!

I am just wondering how long should I allow myself to lose a total of about 100 pounds? It's really frustrating when I lose ounces for like several weeks and then I lose 4 pounds another week. I don't get it at all but that seems to be the pattern I am on right now, although, I must admit I haven't gained an back just lose like .4 or .6 and the a whomping 4 lbs, why? Is it something I'm doing or just my body doing its own thing? How can I maintain a big weight loss like 4 pounds every week or is that impossible?
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Hey

I lost between 70-75 my first year, I would have to check my stats for the exact number.
    There was weeks that I kicked butt with food and exercise and lost 0.2, others weeks I had special occasions and bended and had big losses. There is no rhyme or reason. I know it's hard but you have to give it time and look at the scale over long term.
    Time is going to pass anyways, so keep doing what you are, adjust as needed, and in a year you will have a great loss. Becuase any loss is better than a gain!!!

Keep to it, that is what we have all done and we have benefited.
    Good luck.

ETA - and make your changes ones you can stick to forever!!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

you'll lose weight faster at the beginning because your higher body mass requires a higher # of BMR/TDEE calories each day. so the good news is that even if it takes a whole year, you'll lose more of it in the first 6 months than in the last 6 months. that will keep you motivated.

I agree, as you get closer to your goal it becomes harder to lose weight.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    It took me a year and a half to lose my 85 lbs. I think a reasonable time for 80-100 lbs is between a year and 2 and a half years. good luck!
    Oh yea, and scale fluctuations are totally normal! Some weeks, I'd be up a lb, some down 0.2 lbs, some down 3 lbs, then back up a lb. It all averages out. :smile:
  • casswash2400
    casswash2400 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It always good to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. Thanks Team for all the motivation..
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    As of today i've lost 83 lbs in 8 months. I hope to hit 100 by christmas so that wil be 10 months. I seem to average about 10 lbs a month. I do expect that it will slow down drastically soon, though.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It took me about a year. 100 pounds seemed completely overwhelming to me so I took it 10 pounds at a time. Slow, steady and consistent was the only way to go for me. Once I stopped looking for a magic pill and realized I had to do all the hard work myself then everything finally fell into place. The scale can be frustrating sometimes because you are going to have many many fluctuations along the way. Just try to think of it as ONE way to measure your progress and try not to get too hung up on the number. (I know, I know - easier said than done). :wink: You've got this!