Do macro's really matter (in women)

Options

Replies

• Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I had about 65 pounds to lose. Lowering my calories, exercising everyday and eating cleaner worked wonders for dropping the pounds. But really understanding and tracking my Macros was the GAME CHANGER in losing the fat! Once I was clued in to the amount of carbs and sugar I was consuming it was a big wake-up call. MFP has helped me track it all and I am constantly tweeking it. I still have problems eating enough protein. I used to follow the default macro that MFP gave me until I stopped losing. Then I upped my Fat and Protein and lowered Carbs, Sugar and Soduim. I have gone from a size 14-16 to a size 4. Everyone is different so you have to experiment and see what works for you. I used the scale as a trend but my body measurements are what really kept me motivated. I kept shrinking even though it seemed sometimes the scale was not moving.

So for me, YES, the macros mattered as well as eating cleaner and lifting weights...the heavy kind :D
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    How long did you eat at those levels? It's almost impossible to lose at 1700 and gain at 1900.

Was fluctuating like crazy on 1700, up .5, down .2, etc. I the past when I fluctuated and I increased calories I lost weight but the bump up to 1900 was just too much. Add to that, two bad weekends (birthday and family visiting) and it through off my weekly totals. I think 1700-1800 might just be maintenance for me. Not positive but it seems to be I have to be around 1500-1600 to lose, slowly
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How long did you eat at those levels? It's almost impossible to lose at 1700 and gain at 1900.

Was fluctuating like crazy on 1700, up .5, down .2, etc. I the past when I fluctuated and I increased calories I lost weight but the bump up to 1900 was just too much. Add to that, two bad weekends (birthday and family visiting) and it through off my weekly totals. I think 1700-1800 might just be maintenance for me. Not positive but it seems to be I have to be around 1500-1600 to lose, slowly

That is very very minimal fluctuation. A normal human body can fluctuate 5 lbs + a day. A normal cycle alone can make you add several lbs. Additionally, when I say how long, I mean, did you eat 1700 calories for a week, two, month, several months?

If a person increase calories suddenly, it is not uncommon to add "water". When most people increase calories, they also generally increase carbs. When you increase carbs your body stores extra glycogen/water as a result.
  • marfmellows
    Options
    It depends. Some people who are diabetic, insulin resistant, who have thyroid issues, PCOS, etc will benefit greatly from a low-carb diet. People who are binge eaters, such as myself, may find that high fat, low carb diets are more satiating than high carb diets and thus tend to help us keep our binge eating disorders in check.

There is a lot of research floating around that tries to disprove calories in, calories out or tries to reverse the negative rep that fat gets in our diet, but ultimately, the choice is up to you when you read the research.

One thing is for sure, lower body weight is going to help with issues like cholesterol levels, risks of disease and cancer, etc and that is a good place to start. From there, you decide based on the research and what you think is best for your body.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Are macro's really that important? I always thought they were until I talked to a female body builder at my gym (she is ripped) and she had no idea what a macro was. Now I can't help but wonder, do they matter or is it strictly calories in and calories out? Opinions, thoughts?

Well since she's ripped then no, physique is the most important indicator of knowledge, everyone knows that
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Are macro's really that important? I always thought they were until I talked to a female body builder at my gym (she is ripped) and she had no idea what a macro was. Now I can't help but wonder, do they matter or is it strictly calories in and calories out? Opinions, thoughts?

its called a balanced diet for a reason.
    This - in simplest terms.
  • lambertj
    Options

That is very very minimal fluctuation. A normal human body can fluctuate 5 lbs + a day. A normal cycle alone can make you add several lbs. Additionally, when I say how long, I mean, did you eat 1700 calories for a week, two, month, several months?

If a person increase calories suddenly, it is not uncommon to add "water". When most people increase calories, they also generally increase carbs. When you increase carbs your body stores extra glycogen/water as a result.

I was on 1700 for about 4 months and just recently bumped up to 1900. I seemed to do well at 1700 in terms of strength and endurance, all over feeling really good but the weight did not move (other than small fluctuations). I did expect a jump in scale weight when i bumped up to 1900 but with two bad weekends it's raised my weekly average so my thinking is bringing it back down to 1600-1700 to cover my butt on those bad weekends. It is tough to find a good calorie goal, and I'm fine with experimenting. I'm in no rush to lose this last 8 or so pounds (goal weight of 125 was hit in May and now fluctuate around 130-135).
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    The only macro I track is protein, and I just try to eat balanced meals.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Well since she's ripped then no, physique is the most important indicator of knowledge, everyone knows that

*nods emphatically*
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    The only macro I track is protein, and I just try to eat balanced meals.

:drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    In oversimplified terms:

Calories = weight loss
    Macros = body composition (protein) energy (carbs) fats (healthy body functions)

Try to get 1g of protein per lb of LBM and 0.35g of fats per lb of total body weight. (these are minimums). The rest of your calories can fall where you want based on preference.

How are you testing your BF%? And why are you looking to go that low on BF%?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    She might not know the slang but I bet she's been eating a lot of protein. And yes, they matter. Not enough protein and you won't be able to build muscle, and not enough fat can mess with a woman's hormones big time.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes they do.
  • lambertj
    Options
    In oversimplified terms:

Calories = weight loss
    Macros = body composition (protein) energy (carbs) fats (healthy body functions)

Try to get 1g of protein per lb of LBM and 0.35g of fats per lb of total body weight.

This is interesting. I understand the 1g of protein per lb of body weight but I never heard of the 0.35 g of fat per total body weight. I eat almost double that in fat per day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    In oversimplified terms:

Calories = weight loss

Try to get 1g of protein per lb of LBM and 0.35g of fats per lb of total body weight.

This is interesting. I understand the 1g of protein per lb of body weight but I never heard of the 0.35 g of fat per total body weight. I eat almost double that in fat per day.

Sorry - I should have been clearer - these are minimums. Going over is fine.

Edit: I edited my original post to be clearer. ;-)
  • lambertj
    Options
    I had my body fat tested at my gym, they used calipers. I want to go a bit lower because I still have that all around the belly jiggle and I can't stand it. I thought if i could go from 19% to perhaps even 15 or 16 percent I could finally get rid of it. Seems to be the last to go.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I had my body fat tested at my gym, they used calipers. I want to go a bit lower because I still have that all around the belly jiggle and I can't stand it. I thought if i could go from 19% to perhaps even 15 or 16 percent I could finally get rid of it. Seems to be the last to go.

Whats your height, age and your workout routine?
  • lambertj
    Options

47 years young
    5' 4"

I jog 5 miles x 3 times a week, weight train 3 times a week (for one hour each session).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to bother her too much during her workout because she had a show coming up but she did say she eats healthy. But without calorie counting I'm not sure how she would know even what she is hitting in regards to macros (she did say she eats healthy). I don't eat junk, except for a "cheat window" once a week but am getting so frustrated as to what I am supposed to do. For instance, yesterday I wanted an apple. It would have fit into my calories but the carbs would have thrown off my macros. I do agree that I don't want to eat junk but if it's all healthy foods does it matter if I go high on fats and low on carbs? Or lower on protein one day and higher on carbs. It's getting to be too much and leaning towards an obsession, something I want to avoid.

When I was training for a show, I had a coach. She gave me a workout program and wrote down specifically what I was to eat each and every day. She never once told me about macros but when we sat down to go over our stuff, I noticed her working it out. Being the geek that I am, I logged everything into MFP. She clearly did break down a calorie goal and macros, but just made it simple for me. Had I not previously been aware of it, I likely wouldn't have had a clue either. Lots of competitors hire someone, so it is possible she is doing that as well.
    Or she could be following a generic diet that has her hitting the proper macros without her realizing.

Now, I pretty much focus on getting enough protein. The rest usually balance pretty well when I do that anyway. In your case, i would have eaten the apple, it wouldn't have thrown it off too much.

ETA - definitely agree that physique does not always indicate knowledge.
  • psuLemon
    Options

47 years young
    5' 4"

I jog 5 miles x 3 times a week, weight train 3 times a week (for one hour each session).

Based on your stats, I would have you eating 1700-1800 calories to cut fat. Now it will just take a lot of time to cut the last few lbs of fat. I am in the same boat (started at 12% and hoping to get to 8%). It's a very slow and tedious process.