heart rate monitors

Options
Hi everyone -- I'm thinking of asking for a wristwatch heart rate monitor for my birthday, but I'm not sure what's out there.

My primary purpose would be to track my overall level of activity / calories burned throughout the day, as well as during workouts. Any thoughts? What ones have you used and liked? What features should I look for? Are these things accurate / worth it? I'm thinking something in the under $50 category, if possible...

(Also, I'd prefer one that's not so bulky / a bit more feminine than some of the klunkers out there...)

Thanks!

Replies

• TriNorm
    TriNorm Posts: 27
    Options
    I used to use Polar for heart rate, but now use Garmin products for heart rate & GPS. Almost everything out there is good nowadays, just make sure that the product has a chest strap - the wrist or finger monitors aren't accurate.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My husband uses the Polar FT7 and really likes it. I am looking to get one for myself. It has a chest strap and there is a female version that looks a bit smaller. Don't waste money on one that doesn't have a chest strap, as they usually tell you what your heart rate is at the time you push the button, not continuous. And not sure how accurate they are. I have one of those and it is not really that useful if you want to see what your rate is over time.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get one that comes with a chest strap, that's the most accurate. Polar FT7 all the way!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Polar FT7. The chest strap gives the most accurate readings as well. Really like mine, keeps me motivated as I work out.
  • DontWeightStartNow
    DontWeightStartNow Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My husband uses the Polar FT7 and really likes it. I am looking to get one for myself. It has a chest strap and there is a female version that looks a bit smaller. Don't waste money on one that doesn't have a chest strap, as they usually tell you what your heart rate is at the time you push the button, not continuous. And not sure how accurate they are. I have one of those and it is not really that useful if you want to see what your rate is over time.

I just wasted $30 on a Sportline that DID not have the chest strap and was disappointed that not only did the battery die the first day I had it (had to pay $7 to have a jeweler replace the battery) but, like above, it was not a continuous heart rate - which you really want. I bought a $69 Timex one with the chest strap and am really happy with it as it has the continuous heart rate, and at the end of my workout, I get all kinds of neat data - the most important of course, is calories burned!!! Very happy with it.
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just ordered a Polar FT7 and I highly recommend it. If you live in the USA, you get can it for a very good price on Amazon!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A HRM isn't meant to be worn all day. They calculations they use are based on an elevated HR. If you want something to tell you how many calories you burn on a 24/7 basis you need a BodyBugg or FitBit.

For a HRM to be accurate it needs to have a chest strap to monitor your heartbeat constantly and not be just the watch type that you have to hold your finger on to get a reading. Polar is a very reputable brand and the FT4 does most things the average person wants but it is intended for use during intentional exercise.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I bought a $69 Timex one with the chest strap and am really happy with it as it has the continuous heart rate, and at the end of my workout, I get all kinds of neat data - the most important of course, is calories burned!!! Very happy with it.

Timex are notorious for exaggerated burns for women. Just be wary of it.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a happy owner of the Polar FT7. It is terrific, reliable, and easy to use. You might also want to check out the FT4 which a lot of people like. Either one is a good choice in my opinion.
  • stoudts
    stoudts Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. So it seems if my purposes are to track calories burned during intentional exercise, then I still need to use one with a chest strap? I was hoping to get away with just the wrist watch... is the chest strap distracting/annoying?
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. So it seems if my purposes are to track calories burned during intentional exercise, then I still need to use one with a chest strap? I was hoping to get away with just the wrist watch... is the chest strap distracting/annoying?

I thought it would be, but for me it isn't. It's very stretchy and comfortable, much more comfortable than my bra (and it goes around my chest in about the same place), so I don't even notice it personally.
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar Ft4 and LOVE it. don't really even notice the chest strap. I've had it for 2 years and the battery just went out a few months ago. Bought a battery online and changed it out myself, and it's good as new. Plan on using this for a very long time. You can get some good deals on Amazon.