Your best weight loss tip

Options
What was the best weight loss tip you've learned over your weight loss journey?

I know I've heard this over and over, but it finally sunk in that if I cheat on a diet I'm not cheating anyone but myself.

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    My #1 thing that I learned over the many diets / years of weightloss is DO NOT LIE ON THE FOOD DIARY... you don't learn a thing or lose anything except the opportunity to change your lifestyle and to lose weight. :bigsmile:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight and still not be healthy. Eat real food (unprocessed)and excercise!:flowerforyou:
  • litisha
    litisha Posts: 15
    Options
    i've learned from my good friend, who is a nutritionist, that there is no such thing as a "bad" food, it only becomes bad when you eat beyond the actual serving size...:wink:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Get up and move! It works when you don't feel well, it works when you're hungry in your head, but not your tummy, it keeps you on track, and it helps you burn more calories! And who doesn't feel better after a good workout? (okay at least 90% of the time :wink:)
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty for eating and enjoying food. This was really important for me when I was trying to do diets that were very prohibitive. It isn't meant to be an "eat all you can eat" advice. It's actually helped me to make better food choices in the long run.
  • CinthyNair
    CinthyNair Posts: 261
    Options
    Weightloss the healthy way would mean eating the right food in the right amounts, and exercise to build muscles and cut fat. No such thing as a short cut. You gotta work hard to lose weight :)
  • JBRENTLINGER
    Options
    #1 If you don't eat right it's your own damn fault.
    #2 Nobody is responsible for you and your health BUT YOU.
    #3 Eat with your mind first, not with your emotions.
    #4 Visualize your ideal body when you have temptation to 'fall off the wagon'
    #5 Exercise EVERYDAY, even if it is only for 10 minutes on your 'day off'. Trust me, it keeps you more dedicated.
    #6 Set small goals to attain so the steps are closer together to get to your main goal.
    #7 Enjoy a beer every now and then. Its loaded with antioxidants and is a significant source of dietary silicon, a key ingredient for bone health. (make sure it is a GREAT beer, not Bud, Miller, or Coors)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I've learned that the mental aspects behind weight loss are far more important than the physical act of losing weight. Figure out why you gained in the first place, and take the proper corrective steps to halt these mental issues before you attempt to begin losing weight.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Don't think of weightloss as just a number on a scale. Weightloss is just a small piece of a much bigger picture. Remember to measure yourself, if possible have body fat analyzed, document your energy level and over all feeling throughout the day. Also look for a permanent life style change not just a diet!
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i've learned from my good friend, who is a nutritionist, that there is no such thing as a "bad" food, it only becomes bad when you eat beyond the actual serving size...:wink:

I would tend to disagree with this to a certain extent. There are foods out there, lots of them, that are bad and many shouldn't eat. Most come in the way of unprocessed and MSG laden foods. Eaten in small portions or not, those are the worst for anyone's diet, whether of stellar health or not.

My biggest tip I've learned is that you've got to think of your nutrition, not as a "diet". So often we confuse "diet" with something that is short term and a quick fix. Good health and long term weight loss will come by way of changing your lifestyle. The moment I recognized that, I was amazed at how quickly I changed, my body changed and how much more energy I have. Eating more raw, unprocessed, whole foods is the way to go. That is what our body craves.

But much like the quote above, I will agree that you can enjoy most in moderation. Everyone should have one "cheat" day. Don't deprive yourself entirely.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I think avoiding white flour and sugar as much as possible are key to a healthier lifestyle.
  • olivianjohnsmom
    olivianjohnsmom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    little bites, slivers and "just a spoonfull" matter and add up quickly! watch EVERYTHING you eat.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,746 Member
    Options
    Love and respect yourself enough to stick to the promises you make regarding your health and well-being.
  • gym_rat
    gym_rat Posts: 94
    Options
    One meal won't destroy you. You didn't get fat because of one meal. Shake it off, move on, and make better choices consistently.
  • sunflwrgrl412
    sunflwrgrl412 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat to live, not live to eat.
  • abursey1
    abursey1 Posts: 36
    Options
    My advice would be:

1. Use smaller plates for dinner (according to Prevention magazine, by using "saucers" instead of dinner plates you can lose up to 2lbs a month!).
    2. Eat tons of veggies!
    3. Find an activity or exercise that you love doing! It will make working out more enjoyable if you do something you love!
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My Junior High Science teacher had a quote on his bulletin board for the whole school year that said, "Nothing beats a failure but a try." And, now 15 years later, I still believe that!!
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    You must be able to make a permanant change to succeed. If the "diet" you are following isn't something that you could do for the rest of your then it is no good to you because you will eventually fail at it.
  • vmd19
    vmd19 Posts: 3
    Options
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't become too obsessive about the scale. Stick to your daily goal for exercise and calorie intake even if you're not seeing results when you weigh yourself. Eventually, if you persist, the weight will start coming off.