Struggling to progress with C25K?

Options

Replies

• sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I definitely have breathing issues I try to take deep breaths as I end up breathing really shallow and thinking 'I cant breath!!'
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to walk let alone run these days. I just have too much weight on me and a bad back mucking things up for me. But, the way I grew stronger and was able to run longer is this: I would start out with a 5 min power walk to get my heart rate up. Then I would run from x mailbox to x mailbox. I would recover my breathing by walking it out. Once I caught my breath again, I ran from mailbox to next mailbox. I did this throughout my 2 mile walk/jog/run. It also helped that I was always trying to finish earlier. HTH :smile:
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing C25K! Best tips for me is:
    1. Stick with it. Even if you need to repeat weeks, as long as you keep going, you will keep progressing. Your body won't be able to help it.
    2. Good playlist! If I have good music going, I don't think about the jogging part nearly as much.
    3. Motivate yourself. Keep telling yourself you're doing well, both during the workout and after. It's TOTALLY a head-game. You can do it if you tell yourself you can.
    4. Keep hydrated and well nourished. I can SO tell the difference in my workouts if I've eaten really clean and healthy that day, or if my diet was "meh". Fuel your body with goodness and it'll give back to you in your workouts.
    5. Have a running buddy. Sometimes I need the run for myself, to calm down and center. But sometimes I need someone to come along. It's kinda amazing how much longer/faster you can go just with good conversation, or just plain competition!

Hope that's at least a little helpful!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    One bit mistake many beginners make is running to hard to fast. Try a slow jog - even if you're barely moving and your pace is 18minutes during your run intervals - at least it's a pace. Speed and endurance build over time. It was very hard for me when I started out and I still can't believe I made it through all the weeks (doing my week 9, day 3 tonight), but your body is capable of so much more than your mind lets on. When I started - my run pace was about 16minutes.

During my day 9, week 2 interval I ran hours after a heavy meal and barely managed the 12 minute pace, but I stuck with it. My last 5k race was at a 10:56 pace with the first half of it being uphill. I surprise myself with each run and it was discouraging at first because I didn't THINK I could do it. The problem was THINKING. Instead of talking yourself out of it, set your mind to the fact that you will knock it out of the park. Hang in there and listen to your body.

One of my favorite saying on my facebook "Favorite Run" feed is "whether it's 9 minute mile or a 15 minute mile, it's still a mile." :bigsmile:

69144_4288571925961_1916643568_n_zps2f4f4fa1.jpg
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Getting a new running route helps me. I have found that I run better on trails than I do on tracks or treadmills where I just get bored. My best friend and I run on a trail near our houses at the dam that is beautiful and runs around an island in the middle of the river which is so peaceful and the varying terrain provides an amazing workout. It also helps us to not go by time but distance. We will set a goal, which may be to run to a particular bridge and then not only see if one of us can actually make it to that bridge without stopping but push ourselves to go at least a few more feet beyond that goal. I have found that really helps me more than going by time, also my brother has taught me to relax my upper body musles while I run because I was bad about clinching my fists because I am used to sprinting because of playing softball for so long and the more relaxed my upper body is the farther I can go.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    don't give up -- and it's ok to repeat weeks. even running for a minute is more than you were running before you started C25K, right? when i started C25K, i tried to run too fast, and i ended up straining a hamstring the first week and wanting to give up. slow down. it's not a race. i jogged so slowly i think people walking were passing me. eventually your heart, lungs, and legs will get stronger.

i ran a 5k last weekend, and in week 1 i never would have thought i could run that far! if i can do it, so can you!
  • BRFMcKay
    BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wonderful advice from everyone! I tried it a few times, too, and it took me at least two years, off and on, to finally complete it.

Just keep working at it. If you have to repeat a day or a week, that is OK.

Also, don't go too fast and watch your breathing! I get cold-induced running asthma and I thought it was just me. Figure out ways to keep yourself going.

And it definitely is mind over matter.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I've currently completed week 1 of C25K twice , and I honestly feel that I'm still not ready to progress to week 2, but I'm beginning to lose motivation with it to the point where I've not ran in a week, I want to be good at it but I dont feel like I'm progressing at all and I'm struggling to want to go out for my runs when I'm still stuck at the same point :( Does anyone have any hints or tips?

I would say you are running/jogging too fast....you need to slow your pace down. This isn't about how fast you go, this is about completing the time, building your endurance and cardio. Your body isn't ready to move forward, so repeat week 1 again until you are ready....take your run/jog pace down a bit. I've read about the C25K if you can run slower, you going too fast. Try to slow your pace down more and even slow your walk pace down. Remember it's about finishing, not how quickly you finish...that will come later. Don't give up...keep up and you will get there!

EDIT -- one more thing....make sure you are running on a flat surface to start (NO HILLS!! Hills are for advanced running after you are running on a regular basis and want to challenge yourself....don't create too much of a challenge to start).
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I definitely have breathing issues I try to take deep breaths as I end up breathing really shallow and thinking 'I cant breath!!'

What I did when I just started to run was watched my breathing from the beginning. I noticed before, I would start breathing heavy from the beginning. SO, this time, I started watching it as soon as I started jogging. Start slow...in for count of 3 (or 4) and out for count of 3 (or 4), breathe in through your nose and out thru your mouth. Also, start by doing that when you are just sitting doing nothing. It will actually improve your breathing in general.

Also, work on your speed...take your time. It isnt a race or a sprint. You are going at your own pace and no reason to speed run. There were people i was walking faster than they were jogging at the 5k I was in a few weeks ago (i am typically a fast/power walker).

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The biggest things I learned i the C25K are:

1) You are capable of more than you realize

2) Running is a head game - you will talk yourself into giving up long before your legs need to

Every word of this.

One thing I typically did when I was doing C25K was to add a little at the end of each run. Maybe an extra interval. Or I'd run my last interval at the next week's distance. IE, Day 3 Week 1, my last interval would be 90 seconds instead of 60 seconds, just to see if I could do it. It would give me a little extra motivation to push forward.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I didn't think that I could do it either but I pushed through and did it. It felt amazing! I'd go in with the attitude that I will try it but if I need to stop for a second and start back up, I will do so. So far that has worked for me. I'm up to Week 5 Day 3 next. I'm really scared because it's 20 min straight run. It jumped from 8 min on day 2 now up to 20! I will try it tomorrow and probably drop dead!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    While I'm thinking about it.....a couple other tips:

Don't eat anything heavy on a run day. I learned that the hard way. If I eat pasta or a burger - anything not full of leafy stuff I feel weighed down and sick during my run - even if I eat it HOURS before my run. My favorite run day lunch is a Culver's salad - it's got grilled chicken for protein and the macronutrients of the veggies/fruits/etc are great for your daily nutritional needs.

About an hour before my run I have a carb snack - lately that's been a Kashi TLC fiber cookie with dark chocolate or raisins. They're tasty, packed with fiber, and give me just enough pep for my run.

On a grosser note, the extra weight and/or having had kids can put a lot of pressure on the bladder already and running/jogging increases that pressure. While I read bladder leakage is not as rare as I had thought, I prep for my runs by finishing my 8 glasses for the day at least an hour before my run and use the restroom at least twice before I head out.

:flowerforyou:
  • kascadekat100
    Options
    You may want to try Jeff Galloway's Easy5K program - available for the iPhone and the Android (or one of his books for beginners).

He advocates a run/walk approach to ease into things on a much gentler slope than the CouchTo5K. In fact, you never have to eliminate the walking breaks.

About two weeks ago, I ran my first 5K using the run/walk method: 3 minute run then 1 minute walk. I had problems with foot pain before - I have not had any problems with this method.

He believes that you need to strengthen the joints as well as the muscles and cardio system, and that for most people, running too much too fast can lead to a lot of discouragement - if not injury.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've currently completed week 1 of C25K twice , and I honestly feel that I'm still not ready to progress to week 2, but I'm beginning to lose motivation with it to the point where I've not ran in a week, I want to be good at it but I dont feel like I'm progressing at all and I'm struggling to want to go out for my runs when I'm still stuck at the same point :( Does anyone have any hints or tips?

I felt like I would DIE when I started C25K...and there were days with it when I would wonder why I was going out and killing myself only to have aching calves the next day. But if you keep going, you may experience runner's high. Which is amazing.
    My advice is to stick with it. Slow down, it doesn't matter how fast you go, it's about keeping your legs going for a set length of time.

If you don't feel ready to go to week 2...try it. Do W2D1 and see how you get on.
    If you do all the runs for the right length of time, great! Go on to W2D2
    If you almost get there....that's good enough. Go to W2D2 and see how you get on. You can always repeat a day.
    If you feel you have to repeat the day...go ahead. But I wouldn't do it more than once before moving on.

I think it's best to be pragmatic about C25K. It's a running programme. If life gets in the way and you miss a few days...just pick up where you left off and see how you go. If you wait till you feel totally ready for the next week, you'll probably talk yourself out of it.

I did C25K in summer 2011, finishing in September 2011. Most of my runs weren't perfect. The first time I went out, the last two 60-second runs nearly finished me off.
    I ran my first timed 5K in October 2011 (30:08)
    Then I started Bridge to 10K and finished it in November 2011.
    I ran my first 10K in February 2012 (57:09), and 2 weeks later did another one in 54:49
    Then I entered a 5K race series and got my PB of 24:21 in June (I came third in my age group)
    Then I ran 10 miles in 83:22
    And last month I ran my first half marathon in 1:54:46. Towards the end I was running along telling myself 'You're not tired...you just think you're tired'. And it was true.

I have made so many friends through running...it really has changed my life. I'm 39 and I absolutely hated sport at school, so if I can do it, anyone can.

On Sunday I went for my last long run before my second half marathon (it's in early November). I ran 13.5 miles and it was lovely. 2 hours of peace and quiet, looking at the trees, listening to music, and thinking about stuff. What's not to like? (I did ache a little bit afterwards but it was worth it)
    You can DO this thing!
    Good luck!
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Slow down...it's a process, not a race.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    If you like Zombies and have a smartphone, there is a Zombies Run 5k app that is pretty good. It's not just your garden variety of C25k training....there are other things added to help strengthen your legs for running (such as a 5 minute high knees session) and it's a lot of fun.

I ran through C25k twice. It's not for everyone, that's for sure. Maybe find something that helps you stick with it and make it a lot more fun.

Good luck to you!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    The biggest things I learned i the C25K are:

1) You are capable of more than you realize

2) Running is a head game - you will talk yourself into giving up long before your legs need to

^^ This

Im on week 6 and I keep repeating - and each time I go further and faster - this 8 week program is taking me like 15 - just get out of your own head and keep going
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had tried the C25k and C210k programs before and never progressed much. After starting a workout program in July that alternates cardio and sculpting (Power 90), I was able to start the C25k and am now getting ready to start Week6. I think having built up some endurance with other cardio exercises helped me get past my former road blocks.

I am still apprehensive about my run tonight though, running for 10 minutes is daunting!

I agree. I started c25k way back when...and I had trouble with continuing past week 2. I started doing other exercises and decided to try it again. At the advice of a friend, she said...throw out the program and just jog. Stop when you're exhausted and then start again. Surprisingly I ran an entire 3.5 miles nonstop. Granted, I ran slow...but I still did it. Now, I started back again to time myself and I did week 4 with little difficulty. I would just push on to week 2 and keep going...
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck on week 3, only because the weather has changed and my body is readjusting. I tell myself that, and see my times are better.

So just remember to mesaure progress of time, and how you feel. Maybe you're going faster and pushing harder then before. And thats why the end always feels like a better burn.

GL; HF- running is the spirit escaping to explore the world after all.