Is walking enough for weight loss?

Options
I used to run marathons but I'm finding at this stage in my life I really LOVE walking. I have recently tried running again after several years off but I have to say I like my walking a lot better. I have have four dogs and I walk with them for a brisk and hilly hour long walk six to seven days a week. I can also push my son in the stroller and have my other three kids ride their bikes with me when my hubby isn't home to take over kid duty.

I should add I lift heavy three days a week, ride bike recreationally, and do the occasional kettlebell or workout DVD. In the winter my husband hooks my bike up to a trainer for me so I can ride indoors while I'm watching tv. Im pretty active in general. But I'd like to continue using walking as my main form of cardiovascular activity. And I plan on walking my dogs till I'm 99.

Thoughts?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking is fine. Weight loss is all about the diet, exercise isn't even needed (but it is helpful). Walking for an hour is plenty.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Walking can be excellent exercise. Anything you can stick to that burns calories is good.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is enough for weight loss. Exercise along with many over benefits helps us create that deficit but it is not necessary for weight loss.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have lost all the weight I have lost by just walking. I have added riding a recumbent bike lately, but this is just because sometimes it is more convenient to hop on there for a few minutes than it is to find time for a super long walk. But I love walking, and it has been really effective for me, along with the dietary changes I have made.
  • Toomanyhats
    Options
    I'm not a doctor or trainer, but I would say YES. A friend of mine walked 5 miles a day and cut her meals down (weight watchers diet) and went from a size 14 to a size 6. Personally, walking is my very favorite cardio workout. I walk for 40 minutes at top speed twice per week and my legs look really fabulous. To add in a glute workout, after I've rested, had water from my 40 minutes, I then do 3 sets of 25 walking lunges. I'm pretty peaked out by then:)

I was a SAHM for many years, and I really miss it:) Good luck! Julie
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Almost all of my weight loss exercise routine has been some form of walking--either outdoor or with DVDs (plus strength training.) My ticker shows 13 lbs but I had lost weight on another site before joining this one and I have lost a total of 20 lbs since January 2012. If I want to burn more calories for a cheat day, I do Cardio kick-boxing on that day but mostly I just walk.
  • JohnnyBLean
    JohnnyBLean Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Walking is great for weight loss. I used to run but due to a lower back problem, I can no longer handle the pounding of running. Walking serves me just fine. I've been walking for a while but didn't see the results because I was grossly under estimating the calories I was consuming daily. Since joing MFP and tracking my calorie consumption, I'm starting to see results...slowly but surely. I walk indoors on a treadmill. I DVR my favorite TV programs and watch them while I walk. Since walking is less intense than running, I would suggest walking for an extended period of time, if you can spare it. I walk for an hour. Best of luck to you!
  • bellabrite
    bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I say do what you love in your "spare" time or life will be a drag. The calorie deficit is what matters. How you create it is up to you. And you are already lifting, which should be enough on its own! Rock on!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Since it all comes down to a calorie deficit then sure! Thats the only form of exercise I did when I lost my 60 pounds years ago.
  • LMPMOM4
    LMPMOM4 Posts: 75
    Options
    So good to hear so many positive stories! Walking rocks!
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    I have lost over 50 lbs with diet and walkiung 5 miles a day!
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 with majority of walking
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Walking totally rocks. I think we lose sight of that chasing after something "better" ie more complicated, fancy, with greater perceived effort. often, less is indeed MORE
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Walking is the perfect exercise for weight loss and over all health. The fact that you love it, get your kids and dogs our for fresh air as well is even better! I maintained a 30 lb. weight loss for 15 years just by walking. WALK ON!
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you walk enough, it is great! I just went on a 35 minute walk for my lunch at work - burned 184 calories (2.23 miles). I also walk to and from my office from the train station - round trip burns about 160 calories (1.6 miles)