what was I thinking? Advice please

Options
so this Saturday I have signed up for my first 5k and I am scared out of my mind. I have never gotten through the couch to 5K program as of yet on the treadmill. Last week I decided to go outside running with my dog and I was using the Zombies, Run! application. I did the first mission by doing a mixture of running, jogging, and walking and when I got back to my house it said that I had run 5.5 k in 50 minutes. it was this that gave me the temporary insanity to sign up for my first official 5K race which is again, in four days!

I went out jogging again last night and only made it 2.25KM in 29 minutes which really does scare me as I think I have to do far better time then that. I definitely have a hard time keeping my breath while jogging. to top everything else off I just checked the website for the 5k run that I signed up for and they changed the course to be mainly running on trails and uneven ground instead on the streets.

any advice for someone who is feeling that they bit off more then they can chew but refuses to back down from this challenge?

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are doing it at all should be cause for celebration! Good for you for signing up!

You CAN do it but don't focus on your 'time' or running..Is it illegal to do some walking? Why not just run a little then walk a little? For your first run I think your expectations are too high. Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Just do the best you can. That's all anyone can do in a race. That will then give you a mark on the wall to measure your future improvement.

If you did it in 50 minutes the other day then you can do it at least that fast in the race. Just make sure you arrive at the start line rested and ready to go. Nothing you do in the next three days is going to improve your fitness before Saturday so take it easy the rest of the week, get rested, run the race, and then get back to training hard next week.

Good luck.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You've already shown yourself that you can run 5k, so you KNOW you can do this! If its your first race, just go, enjoy the atmosphere. All those other runners around you will keep your pace up, I bet you do it under 45 mins!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Good luck and congrats! Running with a group of ppl is so much easier and do the best you can!
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I probably walked half of my first 5K. My goal was to FINISH, and I DID! YOU can TOO!!!!
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do it in any amount of time! Most races have the three different groups, those who are trying to win/beat their personal best (and who look like they could be Olympic athletes!), the ones who have been at it for a while and who are just getting another one under their belt on their way to longer/stronger runs and the 'newbies' who are worried that their mix of walking/jogging will not be accepted or will get in the way of the other two groups. I've been a newbie and now I'm part of the middle group, and what I've learned is that 95% of the runners are there because they enjoy it! Your job is to concentrate on doing your best and having fun doing it! Remember, every last one of those quasi-Olympians started where you are now!
  • stheard
    stheard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

I think signing up for a 5k is great motivation. The good thing about it is you will see that there are people running at your pace and some slower along with the people cheering you on. I was scared on my first 5k but felt great sense of accomplishment. So focus on completing the 5k rather than speed.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Everyone's giving great advice so I'll just add in my couple of cents:

1. Revel in the insanity. I am a big proponent of biting off more than you think you can chew and using the panic (ha ha for me there is always panic) to help you push the limits. If we stayed in our safe zones we'd never find out what we are capable of.

2. Get some rest, eat well, drink lots of water and while you're on the course if you need to walk? Walk! there is no shame in it. Focus on getting to the finish line, not the time it takes you to get there. 5k is 5k whether completed in 15 minutes or 50 or 500. And that's an accomplishment!

3. Smile, it calms the nerves, adds to the joy and hides the grimaces of pain that can sometimes come from running. :wink:

and finally

4. Remember that all the medals at the end of any race say "Finisher". Just don't give up!
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If it's a zombie run, it'll be fun, and I'm sure there will be lots of beginners and walkers. I like to check the website for the prior year's times to see if there are a lot slower runners that sign up (usually there are a lot in the 40-50+ minute range). Some of the smaller races, or longer races attract more serious runners.
  • gondi09
    Options
    Motivation motivation!!! We all gotta start some where, and here is where your journey begins. Good luck.
  • northernbeaver
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice, Im sure its just a case of nerves. I am by nature a very shy person and don't normally do the group thing so this is a big step for me in gaining confidence which is why I wont back down. it is a halloween themed run so I decided to go as a bank robber - that way not to much costume weighing me down. My wife and child will be there cheer me on so I will have that motivation to keep going as well. I will try to really hydrate myself over the next few days for sure. I will be sure to post back here and let you know how I do. Thanks again
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Yes, do please let us know how you get on! Sounds like a fun day for all the family.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    so this Saturday I have signed up for my first 5k and I am scared out of my mind. I have never gotten through the couch to 5K program as of yet on the treadmill. Last week I decided to go outside running with my dog and I was using the Zombies, Run! application. I did the first mission by doing a mixture of running, jogging, and walking and when I got back to my house it said that I had run 5.5 k in 50 minutes. it was this that gave me the temporary insanity to sign up for my first official 5K race which is again, in four days!

I went out jogging again last night and only made it 2.25KM in 29 minutes which really does scare me as I think I have to do far better time then that. I definitely have a hard time keeping my breath while jogging. to top everything else off I just checked the website for the 5k run that I signed up for and they changed the course to be mainly running on trails and uneven ground instead on the streets.

any advice for someone who is feeling that they bit off more then they can chew but refuses to back down from this challenge?

With running you have some good days and some not as good days. Not every day will be your personal best, not every race will be your personal best. From what you said here there you can easily finish the race. The key is to not start too fast. If you have an HRM check it and make sure its about the same as one of your training runs where you felt pretty good. Whenever you do a race you will be a little hyped up at the start with everyone else and the biggest mistake I see people make is taking off too fast and then fizzling out at the end. Have a rest day the day before the race so you can go at the race fresh and strong. It the most fun when you run just fast enough to have a good overall pace with just enough to kick butt at the end and pass everyone who is fizzling out from starting out too fast.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Good on ya! I have never been able to run.. and I am just starting to try now - at age 48.. so far, I've made it around the gym of my church 4 times in a row without stopping (a personal best for me).. and guess what? I'm tickled with myself! I can't even imagine how I'd feel after doing 5K. You inspire me! Now rest up then go! Run! Walk! heck, crawl! and know that I'm with you in spirit and so encouraged by you that it may just be possible for me..... one day.
  • northernbeaver
    Options
    well as promised I am updating to let you know how I did. it was very intimidating when I go there. I can honestly say that I was the ONLY person there that was remotely out of shape. most of the people that were running that day were part of the towns Cross country team and was using it to practice for some other event. I kept strong even though part of me wanted to run for the hills. My daughter came down with a fever and it was cold and pouring rain that day so my support and cheering squad (my wife and daughter) couldn't come with me. I just focused on the task at hand, waited for the starting pistol and started the race.

the first KM of the run was very public, with all the organizers and supporters watching which made me feel I couldn't stop so I made the rookie mistake of pushing myself to hard at the beginning. most of the 5 Km was in a walking trail that was very narrow, lots of little ups and downs and because of the leaves and rain and mud it was very slippery. I got wicked shin splints after pushing too hard for the first KM so I had to walk most of the 2nd and 3rd KM. I thought there was going to be drinking stations along the route but there wasn't. had I known that I would have brought my water bottle with me. after a while I did find myself in last place. but I kept going, resolved to finish even though it felt like my shins had broken. the 4th and 5th KM I had a bit of better time, I started Jogging more and realized the shin splints hurt less if I was jogging so I only stopped when my lungs couldn't keep up any more. sure enough to my surprise I had caught up to two young skinny women who had passed me. they looked behind me and I heard them say to one another, "get going, we can't get passed by the fat guy". I gotta admit that hurt, but I kept going, I know most runners aren't like that, but of course it is my luck to find the two ignorant ones...well I persisted and kept going and this time a short time later I passed them both. I must admit I felt a bit of pride there. we were near the end of the race and I poured it on, passing one other person before I crossed the finish line, coming in 4th last but with a personal best time of 48 minutes and 18 seconds. I am very proud of myself for sticking it out, to finish strong and keep my head up. I am using this as motivation to keep going and exercise and train so that next spring I can run another and beat my personal best once more. thank you all for your support!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic!! Good for you for sticking to it and getting through it!
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Yay! You had so many "reasons" (ie excuses) not to keep going that day - but you did, and you finished the race, and have a new PB.

Fantastic!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!
    I'm so sorry you encountered some rude people. Shame on them.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You finished - and did better than the two haters into the bargain. :bigsmile: