The 10 Laws of Injury Prevention*

Options
This Article may have appeared a couple of years ago but it is still very much worth reading (especially by newer runners who tend to be a little over enthusiastic at times)

Here's the executive summary:

1) Know your limits "It's easy to get injured; anyone can do it. Just run too much."

2) Listen to your body

3) Consider shortening your stride "Overstriding is a common mistake that can lead to decreased efficiency and increased injury risk."

4) Strength training

5) RICE works

6) Run on a level surface - be aware of the effect of road camber

7) Don't Race Or Do Speedwork Too Often

8) Stretch the Back Of Your Legs

9) Cross train

10) Shoes that fit

each section in the full article has links to other articles with topics like hip & glute strength, cross training ideas.

It's a bit long but well worth the read.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--13413-1-1X2X3X4X5-6,00.html

* Runners World March 2010

Replies

• reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    All good points!
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    nice :) thanks for posting
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is great, thanks!
    #3 is especially good... My non-runner husband tried to critique my running...telling me to lengthen my stride, how to "pump "my arms...I just said thank you and kept my stride.even shortened it a little ..now I'm faster and not as tired!! (He never noticed)
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I can persoally attest from experience (doing things the wrong way in the beginning) that they are true. Nothing like pain and down time to make a believer out of you! Thanks for sharing.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Thanks so much! Glad to see strength training included in that list.

Going to read the article now...