defining full figured women

Options
I just watched a recent interview where christina Hendricks (actress from Mad Men) seemed to get offended by being called "full figured". Im a huge fan of Mrs. Hendricks', but I was stumped by this. She's a US size 10 (I believe)and has a beautiful hour glass figure. And an hour glass figure was what I considered to be Full Figured. I would have taken it as a compliment. It got me to thinking...what does full figured mean to you? thoughts?

Replies

• ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I consider her to be full-figured. Not sure why she was so offended.

Full-figured to me means having curves. Hour glass figure. Ample bosom. Ample hips. Its not a bad thing at all.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    full figured to me means who I am presently

underneath me being full figured is still a smaller full figured woman.. I have always had an hourglass shape, now my shape is hourglass but larger hourglass..

I also like to use the words, voluptuous and curvy... lets rock the bod we have !!!!!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Full-figured can be a P.C. term for a fat woman. That's probably why she was offended.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    So if you're a size 4, but hourglass.. Does that make you full-figured also, by your definition?
    Full-figured can be a P.C. term for a fat woman.

^ Agree.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    i think she got offended because most often the term isn't intended to.mean curvy. especially in hollywood, most notably tabloida, it's often used as a guise for "fat" or "overweight". Notice when they talk about queen latifah, rebel wilson, and tje actress from bridesmaids whose name i never remember, the always write things like "the fuller figured actress was spotted..." or something to that effect when we all know what they REALLY mean. Adversely you'll never hear kim kardashian, beyonce, or nicki minaj referred to as "fuller figured" and they are drastically curvy like hendricks. So yeah, I can kinda see where she is coming from.
  • marfmellows
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. I think Christina (and many other women) are sick of the media skirting around weight with bull**** words like "curvy", "phat", "fluffy" and "full figured". The fact that there is even a focus on her weight at all is really disgusting. She is a perfect, beautiful woman who should be admired for her charm and talent and not reduced to her dress size.
  • mwaid
    mwaid Posts: 19
    Options
    That's why I asked, because she normally doesn't react that way. But I had never heard full figured being a negative term for a "fat" person. I always thought that if they had an hour glass figure no matter the size they were considered full figured. I mean people considered Elizabeth Taylor to be full figured at her skinniest. All of your responses are awesome! thank you!
  • BEAUTY4UBEAST
    Options
    Size 14 plus... bumps and curves.... (fun fun)

Not a str8 and narrow path.. lol
  • BEAUTY4UBEAST
    Options
    Im in agreement with you!! cheers lets rock what we have! :) congrats!
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i think she got offended because most often the term isn't intended to.mean curvy. especially in hollywood, most notably tabloida, it's often used as a guise for "fat" or "overweight". Notice when they talk about queen latifah, rebel wilson, and tje actress from bridesmaids whose name i never remember, the always write things like "the fuller figured actress was spotted..." or something to that effect when we all know what they REALLY mean. Adversely you'll never hear kim kardashian, beyonce, or nicki minaj referred to as "fuller figured" and they are drastically curvy like hendricks. So yeah, I can kinda see where she is coming from.

Golly, I would consider "kim kardashian, beyonce, or nicki minaj" and Hendricks to be full-figured women (as well as Elizabeth Taylor). I suppose I do have a different definition of full-figured than, at least, some. The actress from Bridesmaids - I don't consider her full-figured... Someone asked if a size 4 hour-glass shaped woman would be considered full-figured - if you have a picture I might offer an opinion - but I don't know what that looks like...
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    She's full figured and that is in no way an insult as she is a total smoke-show!