P90X day 1 advice needed.

I have been doing about an hour a day workout for the past five weeks and started p90x today. I'm still pretty heavy. My workouts up til now were 3 days a week 30 min running and 30 min cardio. and on the other 3 days 30 min running intervals and 30 minutes of strength training. I lost my first 20 pounds this way.

Question. is it safe to still do my running workouts now that I'm ramping it up to the hour long P90X workouts? I run slow still and really don't want to lose the ground on bringing my pace down. Also my 9th grade son has been on the cross country team and is off season now and is running with me (though he does his intervals faster than I do because he's in better shape) to stay on top of it during the off season so he can be ready for track in the spring.

I don't want to injure myself but I also don't want to miss out on the time with my son.

Advice?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    You could do a light jog after your p90x strength days if you want to.. but I really wouldn't suggest doing that on your cardio days.. program is really designed for you to do that and only that.. just make sure you eat enough to fuel your body during the workouts or else you may just stall and not see much progress.
  • Enavel
    Enavel Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks that was kind of what I was thinking. I'll probably jog with him today then and let him do his heavier faster stuff on my cardio days while I ride my bike along slowly.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    The P90X program does have a doubles program which is basically doing the P90X program along with extra cardio workouts. This sounds like what you want to do but just substitute in your running. If I were you I would just make sure to space the two workouts apart from each other. ie - do one in the morning the other in the late afternoon or evening.

Good Luck
  • Enavel
    Enavel Posts: 7 Member
    I didn't think of the double because I'm by no means an athlete like mentioned in the "bring it" video. But yeah that sounds right. The first 30 days are still the same as I recall on the double up so I'll get by riding along for now with him and then follow the double up program substituting running for the extra PM workout. Hey guys thanks. And I will watch my intake harder once I do. Amazing advice. I appreciate it.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    I'm on day 70ish of P90x, and I do doubles three days a week - Tuesday are brutal with Plyo and my spin class, but I hammer it in spin class. I'm 6'2", 192lbs, 20% body fat, down from 296lbs.

Ultimately, if you feel you can do the double, then do it. If you get really sore or you don't have the energy, then skip it. If you're keeping your exertion level around a 6 or 7, you will be able to do doubles fine - especially if you have a few hours for your muscles to replenish their glycogen stores. The whole "college athlete" thing is just silliness; I'm in okay shape, and the college athletes I know would run me down like a lion pouncing on a gazelle with three broken legs - doing my doubles would be a joke to them.

Do what feels right.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    I would not recommend doubles unless you are insane/in great shape.....

More workouts does not equal better workouts. In fact just the opposite. Your body will slowly start to fall apart on you. You won't sleep properly. You'll be tired and irritable all the time. Every week will be a new niggle/injury. Muscle won't recover properly and you'll be worse off than if you just did the programme as written.

A more sensible suggestion would be to take out the Kenpo workout and/or Plyo workouts and use that/them as your running/jogging day(s) instead. A lot of people modify P90X this way and sub in their own cardio. You won't end up overtraining and ruining your results. Although you'll lose the explosive power from the Plyo workout or the whole body cardio/recovery thing from the Kenpo.