NEW & NO FRIENDS HERE!!

Options
HI, IM JESSICA & NEW TO MY FITNESS PAL. MY SISTER USES IT & LOVES IT AND TOLD ME ALL ABOUT IT SO I FIGURED I WOULD GIVE IT A TRY. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT FOREVER BUT NOW, IM FINALLY SET MY MIND TO IT. (I REALIZE ITS ALL A MIND GAME). WHEN I STARTED DIETING IN JAN I WAS 245 AND NOW IM DOWN TO 234 AND IT HAS BEEN VERY HARD. QUITING SMOKING COLD-TURKEY WAS EASIER THEN DIETING. SO ANY WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT OR WORDS OF WISDOW IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED.

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!!

Try not to think o it as a :Diet" but more as a "Lifestyle". Do make small changes gradually and Add things that you enjoy doing to encourage yourself to stick to it.

:happy: Don't expect perfection, just try to make the best possible choices with each meal and snack.

You will find LOTS of support and encouragement here. Everyone is on a similar Journey and they are here to listen when you are having a bad day or to celebrate when you are having a good day.
  • weezy8150
    weezy8150 Posts: 21
    Options
    HI Jessica, and welcome.....I am new to this site as well, but did a similar site through slimfast 2 yrs ago.....huge prizes were great incentive in that program, and many of us were very successful because of that. I lost 34 lbs in 12 wks, which was average for our group nationwide of 2300 members. When the challenge ended, my motivation was gone. I gained back 1 lb a wk returning to my old favorites of fried, sugars, breads, alcohol and have been trying since to get back on track. I have learned that old habits return when we lose our focus. This week I joined WW, started 30 mins a day on the ellyptical, and stocked the kitchen with veggies, fruits, healthy grains, and slimfast meal bars. Making changes is a start. I had to find a new focus. Am now planning a visit to my son's new place in southern CA, from Maine, in 6 wks....that will be my new mental picture to stay on track when temptation strikes. Keep cut up veggies handy, cup up apples sprinkled with cinnamon, tea and grapefruits take time to eat which is helpful. Stay full of the good things to avoid falling for the unhealthy ones. Stay busy, as idle time and boredom can cause overeating.
  • elissap2
    elissap2 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello. I'm new and am excited to find a forum like this for weight loss. I quit smoking a year and a half ago. I was not thin when I quit, so I added 45 more lbs. I am so glad I quit but now I would like to enjoy my better health. I need to lose 70lbs.
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    Welcome! Be proud of your accomplishments so far, and keep up the good work!!
  • sdscouser
    sdscouser Posts: 320
    Options
    HI there (to all of you).

Reading through this post I have to agree that you should not consider yourself on a diet but on a journey to a new life style. You have to be in the right frame of mind. This has to be one of "I WANT TO AND I WILL LOSE THE WEIGHT". It will not be easy and it will take time. But this will be a much healthier approach than crash dieting or following a starvation diet.

You will have off days. Just this weekend I had what I would consider a "bad" weekend, but I am focussed again and when I have finished this update I will be off to the gym for an hour of cardio.

Remember that everyone here is going through the same challenge of trying to lose weight, look good, feel good and wants to lead and live a healtheir life.

Together we can do it.

Good luck to you all.
  • banoffibarfi
    Options
    Hi all, i'm new to the boards, i downloaded the app just over a month ago and hoping it will trigger the loss i'm missing, i keep putting the same half stone on and and extra 7lbs on a recent holiday so back up to needing to lose a stone!

I am more consious of quantity and the dangers i used to ignore of high calories, my weigh in is tomorrow, but i'm not optomistic :(

I work out for 60mins a day, 5 days, and about 45mins badminton once a week and walk to and from work 5 days, i'm at a loss!
  • Allicatmewohisspurr
    Allicatmewohisspurr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    wow you are doing so great! It takes so much will power!
  • Evasher
    Evasher Posts: 20
    Options
    Hello, Jessica.

I am fairly new to MyFitnessPal thanks to an introduction by a friend in January of this year. Honestly, today is the first weight loss I have seen due to my own habits of looking at nutrients after they have been ingested. I am sure we can both reach our goals with comaraderie and honesty. I so want that number 2 in front to disappear. Let's keep on the path together. Take care. I am older than you, still working, and want my energy forever.

Evelyn
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    welcome aboard!

i have been so motivated by this site. actually "Seeing" what i am eating has helped and the friends here are truly inspirational. take a look around...you will see all stages of lifestyle changes! from 200+ all the way to just a couple...but what you will gain is motivation and knowing there's someone like me!

:happy:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica. :)