resting heart rate??

Options
Was just interested in seeing what my resting heart rate is and I have my heart rate monitor on and im sat watching the tv talking with a cheeky cuppa and my watch reads 39bpm? I dread to think how low it is when I am just laying down relaxing

Does anyone know there resting heart rate?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    That's VERY low. Did you take your pulse yourself to verify? Mine has gone down from a consistent 84 to between 62 and 70.
  • supersmiles11
    supersmiles11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually around 60.
  • erinkomornik_2014
    Options
    What type of heart rate monitor were you using? Improper use of a HR monitor can lead to incorrect results. For example, for best results of the HR monitor you should use a gel to make the signal better, and then once you're working out, the sweat you are producing also increases accuracy. If you're just sitting with the HR monitor on and you don't have the gel on or your own sweat to make the signal better, you may get odd results such as 39 bpm. Normal resting heart rate is around 70 bpm for healthy adults.. males typically slightly lower than females, but a lot depends on your activity. Mine personally is typically just under 60. I hope this helps!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    36 here - I do cardio as well as bodyweight strength and daily yoga. I am urrently two stone overweight - working on it.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Mine is usually about 62-65bpm.

Some doctors feel if you have a heart-rate of less than 60, there are health risks. In shape athletes often have heart rates lower than 60 though.

Here's a few articles related:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/78113-effects-less-beat-per-minute/
    http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/bradycardia-slow-heart-rate-overview
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you need to wet the strap to get it to read correctly. I would just check you pulse over 15 seconds and multiply by 4. I'm between 50-55. I've been as low as 42 when in my best cardiovascular shape.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That's TOOOOOOO low!! Check your pulse. Are you on meds that make your pulse low? Are you an athelete? Are you dizzy? Do you have a cardiac history? If it's correct at 39, then you should see a family doctor-it's not good to be that low, even for a conditioned athelete. You could have a serious cardiac problem and need a pacemaker-check it out, for your own good!!! Keep us posted!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Just counted mine: 72.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My husband has a super low resting HR due to his bike racing. His is easily in the low 40s. He was under mild sedation last year and during recovery his HR monitor alarm kept going off cuz it dipped below 30. We were having a conversation at the time and the nurses ran in all panicky, then looked confused because he wasn't dead! Mine on the other hand is in the high 90s, and it is very difficult to get mine up past 125. He however has seen 200 in cross races many times. He tells me I am weird!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm usually around 80... just checked mine now and it's 84.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually pretty low, just checked it and it's at 52 right now. Though I find that the more fit I am the lower it tends to be (I just finished a marathon this weekend so am at my peak fitness at the moment). 39 is quite low though, you may want to get it checked if there isn't some easily identifiable reason that it is so low. If you're not worried about it maybe just bring it up with your doctor at your next physical.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Mine is 110 right now and I have been sitting on the couch with the laptop for the last 30 mins. Ok, so maybe I AM weird.
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I went to see the Dr a few years back because I was feeling a little dizzy at times (turned out to be severe seasonal allergies) As the Dr was eliminating the causes of my dizziness they made me where a heart halter monitor for 24 hrs to record my heartrate. During sleep my pulse would get down 25-30 bpm. Resting heart rate while I was awake was around 50-60 bpm. A Cardiologist looked at the report and determined that it was low but the rythym or pace was fine and there was no reason for concern. He did indicate in my older age that I would need a pacemaker possibly. :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    That's TOOOOOOO low!! Check your pulse. Are you on meds that make your pulse low? Are you an athelete? Are you dizzy? Do you have a cardiac history? If it's correct at 39, then you should see a family doctor-it's not good to be that low, even for a conditioned athelete. You could have a serious cardiac problem and need a pacemaker-check it out, for your own good!!! Keep us posted!

Check it out with your doctor by all means, but I wouldn't panic! As I say my resting rate is 34 - 40 and I'm fine but I beleive it is largely down to the exercises choices I have made for myself. Others may have their views on this of course. Check it out with your doc if you are concerned - I feel sure you'll be fine. :-)

edit: spelling
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I went to see the Dr a few years back because I was feeling a little dizzy at times (turned out to be severe seasonal allergies) As the Dr was eliminating the causes of my dizziness they made me where a heart halter monitor for 24 hrs to record my heartrate. During sleep my pulse would get down 25-30 bpm. Resting heart rate while I was awake was around 50-60 bpm. A Cardiologist looked at the report and determined that it was low but the rythym or pace was fine and there was no reason for concern. He did indicate in my older age that I would need a pacemaker possibly. :)

I guess my husband should probably ask his doctor about it then. We just figured it was because he was in such good cardio condition, but he is 44 now, so he might better check it out.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Superfit athletes have low RHRs, but their hearts are stronger and can therefore pump more effectively and efficiently. If you're not very fit and it's very low, and if you're not taking medication such as a beta-blocker, dizzyness and feinting can occur, especially if you're doing exercises where you have to jump up, or stand-up quickly (burpies etc). Best to have it checked out. Youcan never be too cautious with your heart.
  • ceejay1982
    Options
    I've played sport most my life and at a decent lever for 13 years. Unfortunately I love food more!!! With the amount of exercise ive done I should be super slim lol. My heart rate was the same at 21 sinking to below 40 when sitting about.

I've decided to work out what I burn in a normal day doing normal days work and exercise. All these online calculators are average figures. Im interested in what my body does. Its just interesting thats all. My job is constantly on my feel and even brisk walking its around 75bpm??
  • ceejay1982
    Options
    36 here - I do cardio as well as bodyweight strength and daily yoga. I am urrently two stone overweight - working on it.
    [36bpm and two stone over weight....at least U know U have a healthy heart keep up the good work]
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Mines 44-46 (HRM confirmed with blood pressure test and pulse). Much better than the palpitations in the night I was getting... It's always been pretty low though (when relatively fit).