Visual aura and exercise

Options
This has happened 3 times in the last year and a half. after or near the end of a work out i get a visual aura. i cant say how long they last because i usually lay down and try to sleep when it happens. this time i took a migraine abortive as soon as i started noticing it to try to avoid the migraine that is usually associated with the aura. I tried googling it last time it happened but didnt really get any answers. i know i should talk to my doctor but i usually forget about it after it happens and forget to mention it when i see her. does anyone else experience this or have an idea why it happens? currently i am almost blind in my left eye with pretty swirling colours.

Replies

• holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cameralinds
    Options
    Bump.
  • 2012mustangGT
    Options
    Yep Im having those too. its those damn shimmering C shaped patterns that stay for 7-20 mins and go away.

For me they started in 2009 when I walked into Zellers and auras covered all of my vision and I thought i went blind.

Ever since then Ive been doing research on it, the factors that trigger mine are lack of sleep, and too much computer..sugars and caffiene are factors too they say..

Mine comes every 3-5 months, with small scintillating scotoma mornings now and then..

Good news is its not within the eye or retina, so dont go to eye doctor, its all in the back of the brain and bloodflow..bad news is I dont know how to cure it for good.

do share how yours happen or what triggers them
  • 2012mustangGT
    Options
    this is how it starts for me.. if i get less than 6 hours sleep, and start the morning looking into a screen, i see this bright flash shape in my field of vision that lasts 2 mins...goes away.... 2 mins later i see a shimmering dot on the peripheral vision..from there it progresses into a C and changes shapes in the peripheral and goes away in 20 mins..

some mornings I wake up with scintillating scotoma they call it, image closing your eyes, the C shape looks green in color and thats what wake you up..so you wake up with the C shape..this lasts 7 mins and disappears..

I went to my eye doctor after having auras for 4 times..she asked me to explain what a visual aura was..nothing is wrong with the eyes, and on top I lectured a doctor about what they were..I was afraid of retinal detachment but nothing was wrong...

What also works is..besides laying down in the dark (not that it made a huge differnce for me) is pressing ice pack to the back of your head and look at a bright light like the sun..u barely notice it happening..then it goes away faster..

if it hits at night..laying down will only keep you thinking about it more and panicking..i know for me as soon as i feel it coming my hands get cold, i get confused, numb in the arms..but dont lay down find something to do..it goes away by itself anyway..
  • codycisco
    Options
    What you are describing is what I have been diagnosed with. They are called Occular Migraines. Mine last 45 minutes to an hour. Too much exercise can be a trigger as well as certain foods, lack of sleep, stress, and medicines. Try to stay as calm as possible because rising blood pressure only makes them worse or last longer. Fortunately, they dont cause any permanent damage and are not connected to the eye but are caused by blood flow in the brain. I have been trying to narrow down my trigger for years and still havent found it. Sometimes I have one because my sugar drops, lack of sleep, I had one last week an hour after doing TurboFire and that was the first one that I have had since March. I sometimes have tingling, numbness or feel like I cant talk with them. I hate them but since I only have one or two a year my dr wont give me medication.