Running my first 5k -- have a couple questions

Options
I am running my first 5k on November 18th. I have never ran 3.1 miles or at least haven't in a near enough past I can remember. I wasn't too concerned considering I can run a mile right now straight through (a little on the slow side, like 12 minutes) but I can still do it and I just ran 2.1 miles the other day and it wasn't terribly difficult, granted I did have to walk some but I ran for the majority. I felt if I was diligent for the next few weeks I could probably do halfway decent.

Anyway, I looked at the C25K and that's like a 9 week program. I was a little taken aback since I only have a little over 3 weeks to whip myself into shape for mine. I'm not being unrealistic am I? I'm not going to injure myself by trying to take on to much am I?

Also, how do you warm up for a run like that? I usually walk for a minute or so before I start running and am worried that won't really be an option if I'm participating with the "run" group, I can't very well walk off the starting line I would assume.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine, honestly... The FIRST time I ran at ALL this year, I ran 4 miles.... because it was easy and I didn't need to stop. Take it at your pace, walk if you need to. Worst case scenario is that you'll be a little sore for a few days :)

Go get 'em.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you can already run 2 mi then just add a little each week and you'll be up to three miles soon, probably in less than a month.

As for warming up at races, generally people run some 10 or 15 minutes before the start and so are ready to run fast when the gun goes off. Personally, I run easily for about a half mile and then do several short sprints.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    You can do it. You are already 2/3rds of the way there so 3 weeks should be plenty of time to up your milage.

There's not much warm up to do in a 5k; you'll just want to do a few short race pace jogs on the walk to the starting line. You just don't want to start running race pace with cold muscles. Since you aren't running a fast pace, no more than a quarter mile warmup should be fine.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    you will be totally fine!! NO SHAME in walking a bit either. I would just say stay at your own steady pace and HAVE FUN!!! :):)
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posters above.
    As for the warm up, there is usually plenty of room to move around at the venue...just find some space and walk until you feel warm. If I don't have enough room to walk around like that a side step back and forth, aerobic hamstring curls or knee raises usually do the trick for me.
    Good Luck!
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was overwhelmed when I was planning my first 5k, I looked up the course and did it all by myself a week before the actual race just to reassure myself I could do it. My goal was to better that time on race day which I did. I also had to transition from the treadmill to street running which was a huge difference. Good luck!
  • cma17
    cma17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    5k runs a normally considered fun runs and are a great starting point for people there will be people running that a far less fit than you and some that are a lot fitter than you. People do all sorts of funny warm ups before the race what ever work for them and a lot of people find that they can't quite do it an happily walk run the entire 5k's.

Good luck and have a great run
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k and gave myself a week to train. Got shin splints really bad. Walk if you need to walk and listen to your body. I went to hard too fast and I paid for it.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine! Honestly, C25k is more for people who have never even been for a jog in their mortal lives, there is no need to follow that program if you can already run 2 miles. :)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I still like to do a 5 minute warm-up walk just to get my body to focus and warm-up - and I graduated from the C25K about 5 years ago.

If you're looking for a formal training plan to help you get into "shape" without injuring yourself start the C25K program around week 6 or 7. You've already got the basics anyway - now it's all about endurance. No one says you have to start that program from the beginning.

Another idea - increase your long run distance by 1/2 a mile/ week now if you're already able to run 2 miles. That will also get you to the finish line.

Have fun!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    definitely just use the next 3 weeks to build up.

to warm up before hand you can do a little bit of walking near the area of the starting corral or do anything to warm up your muscles - skipping, hopping, jumping jacks, those all do the trick.

good luck, you can do it!
  • MichaelYoung1976
    Options
    You don't have to go fast ... just go. If you can make the first two miles, the last 1.1 is reachable. You'll have people cheering you on and that "mind over matter" aspect will kick in. Good luck to you!
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You got this! Just remember on race day, start slower than you want to go. A lot of times we get excited and start off too strong then lose it by the end. No one would say anything if you walked off the start line. Everyone does things differently. You can also get there early and do a few laps (around the parking lot) to warm up.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've read over and over again not to stretch before running, but walk to warm up the muscles.

As for training....since you can already run a mile or two without problem you'll have no trouble. The key is to find your pace - many new runners go gung ho too soon and end up walking the last 1/3 of the race. Just use enough effort to make it through the first 2.5 miles then pile it on with everything you've got for the final half mile.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 5K on Nov 17th :happy: I did C25K, and they always have you do a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. I think you should do at least 3-5 minutes to warm up. I'm not the best runner... I usually do 30 minutes total... 3 minute warm up, 10 minute jog at 5.7-6.0, walk 1 minute, jog 7 minutes at 6.0, walk 1 minute, run the last 2 minutes at 7.0-7.5, then 5 minute cool down. I can usually knock out 2.5 miles
  • shortnerdy
    Options
    *eavesdrops on thread as I'm doing my first in the spring*
  • TheNegotiator
    TheNegotiator Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wish you well, amynarup. Since everyone else has been offering unbridled support, I'll take a somewhat different approach. If you haven't had an EKG done (or otherwise a general physical that includes one) in the last six months, and since this is your first race, I respectfully suggest you get one now to rule out issues.

My rationale is that your first 5K is not going to be like your own personal running experiences (which I think you know, otherwise you wouldn't be asking). Your stress levels and heartrate will be higher than your normal runs for several reasons. The first you already identified--peer pressure just out of the gate, along with the elevated rate just to be there for the first time. All this is natural, by the way. Given it's a "thing" (as opposed to you just going out for a run and deciding to stop whenever you feel you've gone far enough), you'll be tempted to press on to "finish the thing." This motvation is also natural but we often forget in the heat of the moment about other consequences or, feeling them, we press on just to finish (and tell ourselves the feeling is nothing, we'll take care of it later).

Bottom line: The most important thing you can do for yourself is have a medical professional check you out. It's not a guarantee, of course (what is?), but the peace of mind will help you during the race when you're well beyond that 2 mile mark. Knowing that fatigue and pain are not acute medical issues but rather are most likely only factors of choice, willpower, and perserverance will help defeat whatever demons come up to distract you from your goal(s). And if some problem does show up now before the race, well, you'll still have many other events to look forward to after you tend to first things first. If you do choose to get a check-up, be sure to tell the physician your plans so as to provide proper context.

Good luck!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I've read mixed reviews of pre-run stretches, but they helped me before and after I did my runs (5Ks, 3.5-milers, 5-milers, 10K for official races, plus training for a half-marathon). They helped me loosen up and relax and made it easier for me to just have fun during the event.

I'm not fast. I focus more on endurance than on anything resembling "racing." My pace was 11:20 for my first race (3.5 miles), 10:55 for a 5K, and 11:47 for a 10K. (These are from races in 2002, when I was in my mid-40s.) I focused on gradually building up my endurance. Training runs helped me find a pace that I was comfortable with.

The size of the event matters, too. A large pack (e.g., 10,000+ runners) can slow you down due to heavy traffic, especially if you're a mid-pack runner. People ahead of you might suddenly decide they need to just walk. Don't sweat it (except literally). Just go out there and have fun.
  • jerlynsch
    jerlynsch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awww...I'm running my first 5K Saturday and me being up at 2 in the morning is an obvious indication that I'm nervous. I've only actually ran 2.44 miles before and it was tough...I'm hoping adrenaline and the determination not to totally embarrass myself will get me through it LOL...I'm a little nervous because it "seems" everyone is a lot faster than me. I am only 5 feet tall with the shortest legs known to man but I'm still a little nervous about being the very last person ;P