Novice Strength Training Questions

Options
I'm starting to put together an at-home strength training routine and I have a couple questions for people WAY more knowledgeable than me on this subject ...

1. How many sets of (insert muscle or muscle group here.. chest, bicep, glute, etc) exercises should be included per session?

2. Should I be doing more than one exercise for each muscle group? (ex. just push-ups or push-ups plus chest fly in the same session)

I currently only have lil 5 pound weights and a resistance band, but plan on investing in heavier weights and such.

Thanks!

Replies

• xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The amount of sets/reps depends on your goals. What are you hoping to achieve body-wise?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I follow a routine and it works for me. Honestly, I wouldn't really know "what to do" on my own as far as pairing different exercises etc. I need a guide.

I follow Chalean Extreme for strength. I love it.

After my 20 week completion of the CLX/TF hybrid. I'll be following p90x.

Maybe look into something like this? It will help guide you.
  • k8zor
    k8zor Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm just looking to reduce body fat mostly while adding some muscle. I'm not looking to bulk up or anything, just tighten and tone.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do would be to follow a prewritten routine. I don't know of any that could utilize the equipment you currently have though.

You could try looking and this and see what you can come up with http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=789227
  • ShoeloverPearl
    Options
    bump
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Since you're a beginner, find a program to help you focus on your goals. Stronglifts 5x5 is good. Compound exercises will be best for you right now. You'll need to get much heavier weights.
  • k8zor
    Options
    I follow a routine and it works for me. Honestly, I wouldn't really know "what to do" on my own as far as pairing different exercises etc. I need a guide.

I follow Chalean Extreme for strength. I love it.

After my 20 week completion of the CLX/TF hybrid. I'll be following p90x.

Maybe look into something like this? It will help guide you.

That's definitely a good idea - I did about a month of p90x last year and I've thought about just following along with the strength training routines.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" is often given when this question is asked. I just finished the "New Rules of Lifting for Life", a book aimed at middle age men and the program is to complicated for me. To many choices.

I need to be told what to do so I'm looking for a simpler program to follow or I might hire a personal trainer to get me started on a program. Currently I'm doing the machines at my gym as that's the program they gave me to follow when I joined the gym.
  • k8zor
    Options
    The best thing to do would be to follow a prewritten routine. I don't know of any that could utilize the equipment you currently have though.

You could try looking and this and see what you can come up with http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=789227

This is great - thank you!
  • k8zor
    Options
    The book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" is often given when this question is asked. I just finished the "New Rules of Lifting for Life", a book aimed at middle age men and the program is to complicated for me. To many choices.

I need to be told what to do so I'm looking for a simpler program to follow or I might hire a personal trainer to get me started on a program. Currently I'm doing the machines at my gym as that's the program they gave me to follow when I joined the gym.

I've seen the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" title suggested in other threads too... me thinks I'll have to check it out.
  • k8zor
    Options
    Since you're a beginner, find a program to help you focus on your goals. Stronglifts 5x5 is good. Compound exercises will be best for you right now. You'll need to get much heavier weights.

Totally agree about the heavier weights... looks like my Christmas list this year is going to be just full of exercise equipment wants. haha
  • slimfitnessmoms
    slimfitnessmoms Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am doing P90X and its def toning me.
    I also have done Insanity in the past and that also toned and trimmed me.
    I haven't bulked up just nice and tone.
  • k8zor
    Options
    Awesome!

It's definitely looking like P90x is probably the best option for me right now with my lack of equipment and general knowledge. ha
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    You will NOT bulk up. You don't have enough testosterone. Unless you're taking hormones, injections etc.....you'll be fine.
    Our bodies do not react to weight lifting like a mans does, you need testosterone for that.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You should strength train at the max weight you can do for three sets of 8-12 with proper form. If you cannot maintain proper form when doing an exercise, you either need to stop or decrease your weight. If you can do more than three sets of 12 without feeling as if it is very difficult to continue, increase your weight.

You can work out the same muscle groups in the same workout with no problem -- I do it all the time.

And if you are not sure on proper form, get with a personal trainer if possible. If not possible, read up on proper form of each exercise online beforehand and perform the move with awareness of your posture, hand position, feet position, etc.