How bad is it to go over on protein?

Options
I am sorry I keep asking all these questions but I don't know who else to turn too.... I can't seem to stay under my protein level, I am always going over is that really important? And if it is does anyone have any advice on what I can do to stay where I am suppose to be at? Thanks in Advance....

Replies

• pattydi
    pattydi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that it's ok to go over on protien.... I do every day and don't worry too much... it's important to get extra protein when you are exercising, so I never stress about that or fiber.. I always go over on that too!!! I avoid sodium and sugars.and will never let myself go over on these. . and I've been able to lose 99 pounds since january this year...so I must be doing something right... ! best of luck to you... :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I think just about everyone should be shooting for at least double the MFP recommendations
  • mselpsycongroo
    Options
    I think just about everyone should be shooting for at least double the MFP recommendations
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious about this one as well... I weigh 245lbs and ate almost 300g yesterday.... not being a smartass. I have fully functional kidneys, and my liver only cries when it knows it's Friday night...
  • kassahunmarhatta
    Options
    bump
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It's not important. MFP sets it's protein low. You should aim for about 1g per pound of lean body mass. If you don't know your LBM then guesstimate by making it 1 g per pound of your ideal weight. You can change your settings in the goal menu.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    not bad at all. 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight is more than enough--just try to make sure you're getting adequate fiber and fruits/veggies in order to maintain regularity and get your micronutrients. Also--fat intake is critical for maintenance of hormonal of proper hormonal functioning.
  • cadonut
    Options
    According to my son ... Protein does not store fat... so its ok to go over alittle ... you just dont want to store any fats and sugars/carbs store fat. Did you know ..which I just learned today that on the setting you can watch your sugars ? so I plugged that on my list so I can watch my sugar in take too. Good luck !
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 1g of protein per pound. I usually get more like 130g-150g, which is closer to 1.3g-1.5g per pound.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    if it's the mfp default....go over....WAY over.
    i think my default started at like 40 or something....i shoot for ~200
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    According to my son ... Protein does not store fat... so its ok to go over alittle ... you just dont want to store any fats and sugars/carbs store fat. Did you know ..which I just learned today that on the setting you can watch your sugars ? so I plugged that on my list so I can watch my sugar in take too. Good luck !

Protein can be stored as fat. It's just the least likely nutrient to do so. But if you're under your calorie limit it shouldn't matter regardless.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    god told me it is okay to go over your protein so you are all set
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    28869646.jpg
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I go over somtimes too
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I felt the default mfp macro spread didn't suit me so I reset mine to 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat. It seems to be a fairly popular spread around here and I personally feel far more comfortable with it.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    If you're following the default recommended protein intake given by myfitnesspal, then I wouldn't worry much, especially if you're physically active. Just make sure you're not exceeding the calories overall. IMO, the protein percentage they choose is too low and many experts recommend much higher protein intake, again, especially if you're physically active.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

The force is strong in this one^^^^
    Listen to him.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I am sorry I keep asking all these questions but I don't know who else to turn too.... I can't seem to stay under my protein level, I am always going over is that really important? And if it is does anyone have any advice on what I can do to stay where I am suppose to be at? Thanks in Advance....

Short answer: I always try to exceed the MFP's protein guidance.

Additional info:
    I focus on the following 6:
    • Calories
    • Fat
    • Sodium
    • Protein
    • Potassium
    • Fiber
    The first 3 are ceilings and the last 3 are floors. That's worked for me, but YMMV. I often find that after dinner, I'm actually low on protein and fiber IF I've done a lot of cardio. I focus on natural food sources first but will use resort to powders/bars to get a last-minute boost to exceed my protein/fiber floors (also, V8 juice for my potassium floor).
  • JBWILLOW
    JBWILLOW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I always go over too =/ hope its ok
  • Raya1980
    Options
    28869646.jpg
    I can't stop laughing, someone is a redditor.