always over on protein

Options
I have been doing really well on my eatting and calorie intake . At the end of the day I am almost always over on protein is this ok.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    it's better than bad; it's good.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's definitely good.

The default amount of protein is actually rather low, it's the minimum required amount for a sedentary adult. For most people - especially active ones - it's beneficial to get more protein.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    There was just a thread on this... here's the clifnotes.

MFP estimates are very very low.

Most recommend 1g/#LBM, up to 1g/scale #.

Most physcially active people would benefit from /\ ratio or higher.

Pay more attention to not eating too many calories, don't restrict your protein.
  • JOHNJMOYER
    Options
    Really good cause protein helps to maintain and build muscle which helps you to burn more calories!
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Same always for me and I wondered. If it is set up as a limit then how is it good to be over on it?
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Never mind you all posted while I did lol
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have been doing really well on my eatting and calorie intake . At the end of the day I am almost always over on protein is this ok.

It is not a big deal. Calories are all that matters, but having enough protein is important. I tend to be over on protein as well. You can change this if you want in your settings (goal). It's a percentage, so you can play around with the percentages.
  • monstercakes
    monstercakes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    excess protein (like anything else) is stored as fat so be careful! that's part of why a balanced diet is so important.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    28869646.jpg
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

rs3.jpg
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    We just had a lively debate :happy: on this very topic at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777921-how-bad-is-it-to-go-over-on-protein
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    IMO it's a great thing! I aim for over double my "recommended" protein intake each day, I halve my carbs and I aim for 2/3 of my fats. I've shed over 30kg/66lbs by following this advice so I must be doing something right.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

rs3.jpg

#Ren&StimpySingALong

"It rolls down stairs
    Alone or in pairs
    Rolls over your neighbor's dog..."

sing along if you know the words! :laugh:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

now I have Ren and Stimpy in my head....thanks:grumble:

But I agree of course...EAT ALL THE PROTEIN!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:

edit to add:
    ^^^lol someone else caught it too! yay!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I just had a look at your diary and your protein goals are really low. I'm not sure what your current weight is but it seems to be reccomended that you get about 1g of protein for every pound of body weight. 66g per day is just not enough especially if you are active. You can change your carb:protein:fat ratios in MFP to have lower carbs and higher protein. MFP tends to set the default quite carb heavy and protein light. From what I can see you have definitely not been consuming too much protein

Hope that helps.
  • slrea2012
    slrea2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one.
    I also didn't realize you can tweek your ratios. Thanks for the post :happy:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    excess protein (like anything else) is stored as fat so be careful! that's part of why a balanced diet is so important.

Considering you met your calorie goals for weight loss:

O-Rly-Owl-British-580x419.jpg