Vegan Recipes

Options
Noenvynofear
Noenvynofear Posts: 137 Member
Does anybody have any healthy vegan recipes? The cheaper the better

Replies

• lindseyrh
    Options
    Taco Soup! I made this for dinner last night and it is so yummy! High in fiber and protein, low fat!
    It is cheap to make and makes anywhere from 6-8 adult servings for about $10! (Thats$1.25 - $1.67/serving!) . It also freezes well.

Taco Soup:

1 large onion, diced
    garlic (to taste...I really love garlic and used 3 cloves)
    1 can each of low-sodium black beans, pinto beans, garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    1 cup frozed corn kernels
    2 cans rotel tomatoes (or generic tomatoes with green chiles)
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    2 pkg. low-sodium taco seasoning (I like McCormik's)
    1 pkg. ranch seasoning (I believe Whole Foods has vegan....)

Saute onion and garlic 5-8 minutes over med-high heat until soft. Add all remaining ingredients plus 1 can of water. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook at least 30 minutes, up to several hours. (Can also be made in the crockpot, cook on low for 8 hours). Top with chopped fresh cilantro and pickled jalepenos, if desired.
    *This is a good recipe if you are vegan/vegetarian living with others who are not. Simply have shredded chicken or ground beef/turkey/chicken on the side that they can add in!
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I make a "vegetarian" chili all winter long that is very cheap and lasts about 2 weeks per pot. I think all the ingredients are vegan, but let me know if I'm wrong.

3 large cans of diced tomatoes
    3 small cans of green beans (reduced sodium)
    3 small cans of dark red kidney beans (reduced sodium)
    3 small cans of white hominy
    3 small cans of white northern beans
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1/2 cup sugar
    A few tablespoons black pepper
    I also add a few shakes of cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.

It may be more of a vegetable bean soup, but the chili powder gives it a nice kick, and it gets thicker by the next day. I know adding sugar is bad, but it balances out the spiciness quite nicely. :tongue:

Cans of beans are only about 75 cents each, and you can always customize what you put in the pot. Good luck!!
  • andriana65
    andriana65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I make a nice fresh salad using chick peas, it is as follows:

Can of chick peas (drain and rinse)
    Can of sweet corn ( drain and rinse)
    1/2 red onion( chopped finely)
    1carrot (diced)
    1stick of celery (finely diced)
    1/2 red capsicum (red pepper) (finely diced)
    Snow peas ( as many as you like sliced finely)
    Italian parsley ( as much as yo like, chopped finely)
    4-5 mint leaves ( chopped finely)
    1 garlic clove ( crushed)
    Table spoon olive oil
    Juice of 1 lemon
    Salt and pepper to taste

Place all this in a large bowl and mix. Let it sit for 1/2 hour for flavours to mingle.
    If you like or can have tuna in your vegan diet, you can add a small can of tinned tuna for protein.

You can add more lemon juice and garlic if you like.

I hope you get to try this and enjoy!
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have a vegan "beef" stew that I posted on my blog and it tastes amazing. You could use regular button mushrooms in place of shiitakes and omit the vegan beef strips to make it a little cheaper.

http://www.goudamonster.com/2012/10/vegan-beef-stew-w-dark-truth-stout/

veganstew1_md.jpg
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Not vegan but I like that chili seasoning combination. I would eliminate the sugar - no need for added simple carbs. I'll keep that in mind for my non-vegan chili.