Alcohol + Exercise?

Options
Does anyone know if this is harmful? Say you have had a couple, and then you (hypothetically, of course) start dancing like a freak so hard that you work up a sweat and you find yourself in your target HR zone for 10-15-20 minutes or so. :blushing:
What happens to your body? Do you still get the same benefits of the "workout" as though you haven't been drinking? I know you can become dehydrated - but is it harmful to drink and then work out immediately thereafter? Do your muscles absorb alcohol, making it harder for them to work - or what?
I would love some feedback, if anyone knows!

Replies

• BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    Options
    Does anyone know if this is harmful? Say you have had a couple, and then you (hypothetically, of course) start dancing like a freak so hard that you work up a sweat and you find yourself in your target HR zone for 10-15-20 minutes or so. :blushing:
    What happens to your body? Do you still get the same benefits of the "workout" as though you haven't been drinking? I know you can become dehydrated - but is it harmful to drink and then work out immediately thereafter? Do your muscles absorb alcohol, making it harder for them to work - or what?
    I would love some feedback, if anyone knows!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but your post made me LOL! :laugh:
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    you might feel as sick as a kipper though you could try a couple of shots to temporarily keep down the feeling of sickness :laugh:

Mags

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    I guess this kind of workout is better than nothing, but definitely not as good as any other sober workout LOL
    Because alcohol slows down your metabolism and really does a mess in your body I would think of it as a kind of cheat day and forget counting calories this evening :smile:
    The other thing would be dancing as mad without alcohol - think of a satisfaction you can have after that - you were not drinking, had fun and workout! :smile:
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It can actually be really harmful to exercise when you've been drinking...although as a college student, it's not like I'm going to go to a party stone cold sober, now is it? :laugh:

But you have to remember that alcohol also dehydrates you major big time and so does exercise, so by doing both together, it can really throw your body off...
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    so don't forget to take loads of Alkazeltzer WITH toones of water before bedtime :wink:

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Just don't do anything that involves moving parts (other than your own).

It's extremely dangerous to bike, lift weights, use cardio equipment, swim or dive when you've been drinking. But it' s not bad for you to move your body when you have alcohol in your system. You just increase your risk of injury from anything when you're intoxicated.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I love to dance myself sober!!!!

Sometimes there's nothing better than capping off the night with a sweaty dance session...it usually sobers me right up.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    :drinker: moving and drinking is probably better than sitting still than drinking in some respects because you're less likely to guzzle your drinks in a corner! :p

just remember that it takes about an hour to really digest a drink. and alcohol whacks your system and crashes your potassium and nutritional levels. just remember to drink water. in fact, instead of having two drinks, have a light snack before you go out (a healthy one that contains potassium), have your drink (beers generally have more calories than liquor), smile with you friends, make sure you have a water on hand, and if you must act cool and have an other drink, just go up and order a plan oj - your friends won't know the difference and you're replacing some nutrients ;) and then have your next round later.

or go ahead and get wasted (no judgements here) but keep in mind to hydrate because alcohol is a diueretic and unfortunately gives us incredible munchies the next day :P

plus we want greasy munchies and Mickey D's for a reason - that grease sops up the beer in our bellies and prevents hangovers.
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    In college I had friends who enjoyed drinking on rock climbing trips... like, hey, lets down a few or ten beers and then go climb a really hard route and hope no one dies!! :noway:

I believe that is the type of exercise one would not want to do after drinking. Unless you will be dancing on the rooftops, dance your heart out, girl!
  • Xtracrispy69
    Options
    Its something that's not really worth counting...ever since my weightloss I've stayed away from alcohol except for special occasions. Its way too many calories, and hangovers start to hurt more