2390 Calories?

Really? I'm 5'4" and weigh 206

Does 2390 seem high? Also, is there a FAQ section to get me started. I'm not sure where to.
I gather you plunk in what you eat everyday, and voila!

Replies

• That does seem like a lot... My calorie goal is about 1500
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    What do you have it set to in terms of activity level and loss per week?

I am 5'3" - work a desk job and started at 203 - I have mine set to a 1 lb loss per week and MFP gives me 1460 calories or so per day. My BMR is about 1629. But my TDEE for light activity is 2240 - which is right about what you are quoting.

How active are you? You need to eat something less than TDEE to lose.
  • I am 5' 4" and weigh 206

Not sedentary, I stand alot, and walk a fair bit. I run around after my 6 year old. We walked to school today, 6 blocks + 70 stairs up & down. I have to walk up several hills to get back home. About a 6-% grade in some places! I can power up the stairs if I stop once.

I'm a newbie, not sure what TDEE and BMR is? Wii said I lost 4 lbs recently!
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    I am 5' 4" and weigh 206

Not sedentary, I stand alot, and walk a fair bit. I run around after my 6 year old. We walked to school today, 6 blocks + 70 stairs up & down. I have to walk up several hills to get back home. About a 6-% grade in some places! I can power up the stairs if I stop once.

I'm a newbie, not sure what TDEE and BMR is? Wii said I lost 4 lbs recently!

Read THIS>>>> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    It explains your TDEE, and your BMR. Your calories should be somewhere inbetween those numbers if you want to lose weight. Mainentance would be eating at TDEE. To me, the 2390 sounds like your TDEE. Feel free to ask me any questions after you read the above link. Hope it helps :)
  • I think my head just imploded. That's alot of info!
    I'm not sure what to think...I appreciate the pointers! I need to get familiar with all the
    tools on this site.

I did not see on my home board what I need to burn daily to get to my goals.
  • Aha!! I found the part where it says calories burned. I need to burn 2,140 calories/day
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    If you put 'active' as your daily activity you could always go back and change it to 'moderately active' which should lower your calorie goal a good bit. I'm currently doing 1200 calories per day, so to me those 2K plus calories seems like a lot. It's also a matter of how fast you want to lose weight; if you want to lose more, tell the system you have a 'sedentary' desk job.
  • Thank you madholm!

I signed up my husband as a hoot, he's 5'9" and weighs 195. He is medium built, lots of muscle!
    We added 185 as his goal, and put him as active (he's a warehouse foreman).

The calories? 2090! -250 for daily deficit.

I am totally redoing my profile as sedentary.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Aha!! I found the part where it says calories burned. I need to burn 2,140 calories/day

You DO NOT need to burn 2140 a day!

Where did you get that from? :noway:
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Set it at sedentary and enter the walks as cardio each day. I am 195 and I am having trouble losing at 1500 calories with daily exercise.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I am totally redoing my profile as sedentary.

That is what I do. I prefer to earn my extra calories. I know myself and would totally take advantage if I was granted them before I did the exercise LOL.
  • Get ready to laugh. I had the counter set at *GAIN 1/2 a POUND A WEEK!*

Seriously? Yes. I completely missed that. I have it re-set, it's now at:

Your Daily Goal 1,890 calories/ day

Sigh of relief. So far I only have 900 calories left. Looks like salad with roast chicken for dinner, and an apple snack :)
    You guys weight loss is impressive!!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Get ready to laugh. I had the counter set at *GAIN 1/2 a POUND A WEEK!*

Sigh of relief. So far I only have 900 calories left. Looks like salad with roast chicken for dinner, and an apple snack :)

LOL...if I remember correctly, the gain weight ones come first. Seems backwards!

For 900 calories, you can eat a LOT. Grilled chicken (without the skin that is) is around 150 calories for 3 oz. 3 oz. is a lot more than you think. I know this thanks to my kitchen scale. Its definitely bigger than the old rule of thumb "size of a deck of cards". When I have grilled chicken and a veggie for dinner it's like 250 calories max!
  • Madholm!!

Thanks to your tip, I solved a serious typo in my profile. Yay!!
    Thanks, I am ever so grateful.
  • I have bakes chicken left over from last night. I can steam up broccoli (my daughters fave veggie) as a side.
    I can possibly even add some quinoa too!

Wondering if GNC fiber supplement adds calorie. I have to look, that stuff is amazing.
    I'm excited, and heartened to find this site! I hope I can get the phone app soon-then it'll be
    easy to add things when I am in town.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    have to say, I did laugh! Seriously though, glad you asked the question so it made you check into things and get your numbers all fixed up. Now onto healthier eating and losing!

Get ready to laugh. I had the counter set at *GAIN 1/2 a POUND A WEEK!*

You guys weight loss is impressive!!
  • I know! Can you imagine if I had stuck to the 2,390 calories? :sad:

I'm glad I did check it, otherwise I would have pretty much been clueless.
    I have 776 calories left today. I caved and had a Clif Kids Z Bar (chocolate of course!).