Anyone have a mini/personal/compact stepper?

Options
I have a little compact stepper that fits under the side table by the couch. When the weather is bad or I haven't been able to get out or I'm just feeling like a lardass or whatever, I will use the stepper while I read or watch TV. It's GREAT, but, this thing squeaks like crazy and it drives me nuts! Does anyone have one of these and have you figured out a way to keep it from squeaking?

Mine is a lot like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Exercise-Stepper-Steel-14-25-14-75/dp/B0000C0XOB/ref=sr_1_24?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1351034689&sr=1-24

I'm not sure if the squeak comes from the pistons or the pulley. Would love some advice!

ETA: This thing is rated to 250lbs and I weigh 162

Replies

• bosoxz5
    bosoxz5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WD-40 ? That might work.
  • ohmelgosh79
    ohmelgosh79 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have one! I actually got it from a yard sale for $5 so I could have something @ work on my downtime. I haven't had any squeaking on mine thus far so I'm not much help there.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have one! I actually got it from a yard sale for $5 so I could have something @ work on my downtime. I haven't had any squeaking on mine thus far so I'm not much help there.

Your $5 yard sale one must be better than my $20 on-sale-at-some-sporting-goods-store one
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    WD-40 ? That might work.

WD-40 was my first thought. Love that stuff!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I agree with the wd40 or some other kind of lubricant.

A question though since I'm actually really interested... Does this burn anymore significant amounts of calories than just walking in place? :/ I can't imagine so, but the idea of it is good. Maybe I'll just start walking in place during tv time instead of shelling out 60 bucks.
  • ohmelgosh79
    ohmelgosh79 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Your $5 yard sale one must be better than my $20 on-sale-at-some-sporting-goods-store one

I wasn't expecting too much from it to be honest. The lady said she bought it and never used it and its something I can tote with me to and from work and its not taking up too much room. I thought it would be good for my 8 year to do this winter when t gets cold too. Maybe the WD40 that others have suggested would work????
  • lucindasun
    Options
    I borrowed one to help rehab my knee post op, I love it, I don't put tension on it but I'm getting the mobility back in my knee. The one I have doesn't squeak but it bangs when I step down, Im thinking a piece of thick felt?
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree with the wd40 or some other kind of lubricant.

A question though since I'm actually really interested... Does this burn anymore significant amounts of calories than just walking in place? :/ I can't imagine so, but the idea of it is good. Maybe I'll just start walking in place during tv time instead of shelling out 60 bucks.

I don't have a heart rate monitor, but just based on how I feel, this is way harder than walking in place and probably easier than running in place (but lower impact). My heart rate and breathing are elevated after a few minutes, and after about 10 minutes I always have a good sweat going. You can adjust the resistance so turn it down to get speed (more like running) or up to build strength (more like actually hauling your weight up some stairs).

I consider this a fringe benefit, but there is the added element of having to balance on it while you step, which can be challenging for some people and is definitely good for posture.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    SOme oil of some sort on the wee metal pilons will sort you out, probably dried up over time. I chucked mine out years ago as it seemed to play havoc with my knees.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I keep one at each of my offices and use standing desks- love it! WD-40 works great but you'll need to spray it outside and put paper towels under it when you first use it again after spraying the joints since the oil will ooze out and drip.
  • raven8695
    raven8695 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Noise fix - I sprayed all joints on my mini stepper with 3 in 1 silicone spray. Wiped the excess off. Noise went away.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    scrappy25 wrote: »
    I keep one at each of my offices and use standing desks- love it! WD-40 works great but you'll need to spray it outside and put paper towels under it when you first use it again after spraying the joints since the oil will ooze out and drip.

I have one for my standing desk as well. I got it off of amazon and some of the reviewers said they experienced squeaking over time. Mine hasn't started to yet thankfully.