Cannot seem to beat my sweet tooth cravings...

Options
I workout hard. I do at least 5 intense bike rides a week averaging at least an hour and half each trip, but cannot seem to stop eating junk food. I have, however, manage to kick my night time binging habits but I still eat way more junk then I know I should be. I burn lots of calories and then still eat junk (sweets), why? I want so badly to eat healthy but just cannot seem to kick junk food. I have not gained any weight back since I got serious about losing weight but I feel like its the reason why some weeks I only lose a couple ounces a week. I have tried to sub statute my cravings for fruit but that only last for maybe a couple days then I'm right back to old habits. I hate the fact that I feel like I'm slowing my weight loss process and over working myself as far as cardio only to slowly lose, I truly feel that if I can truly kick sugar I will see a big difference in my weight loss.. Why does it have to be so hard for me???

Replies

• JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    My husband is a recovering sugar addict... seriously. It's what got him to 440 lbs +

He's down to 300 now and better but still fights the sugar cravings even after a year. It takes time a lot of willpower. I know they aren't the greatest things for you but have you tried the sugar free items? They have reeses peanut butter cups and hersheys etc and taste nearly identical to the real stuff. Perhaps if you did these with portion control you could satisfy your cravings.

Hope this helps.
  • casswash2400
    casswash2400 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Is that what your husband does/did? No I can't say I have actually have, just figured I could do it cold turkey but I'm losing the battle. Will have to buy some sugar free things to try instead. Thanks for your feedback...
  • emmajohnson747
    emmajohnson747 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try these protein bars called quest bars.they taste like a candy bar but it helps u get your protein in after intense workouts:)
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Try to limit yourself to the amount of candy you eat but still make room for it in your diet. Once a week maybe? Also, as the person above said, a lot of protein bars taste like candy bars so try to substitute those into your diet as well
  • marihi
    marihi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try preparing some of your own sweet treats. You can use natural sugar substitutes like stevia which you can get in liquid form. It is 25-30 times sweeter than sugar, and far more healthy, and the leaves of the plant have zero glycemic index, zero calories and zero carbs. I'm from NZ and it's quite readily available here and online. Depending on where you are from you may even be able to grow the plant yourself! Have it in a pot or in the garden and pop a leaf in your mouth when those sweet cravings hit. The sweetness of stevia also lingers a little longer than sugar does too

And also if you are preparing some of your own treats you can try substituting wheat flours for things like almond flour (meal) and coconut flours. They need a little something extra to help bind so try adding an egg or 2. Also boosts the protein content!
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Is that what your husband does/did? No I can't say I have actually have, just figured I could do it cold turkey but I'm losing the battle. Will have to buy some sugar free things to try instead. Thanks for your feedback...

Yep. There are sugar free candies... sugar free cookies (murrays is the brand we use) and sugar free puddings. Also these days in the baking isles they have sugar free cake mixes and icing. As well as sugar free brownies!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese and sugar free jelly!
  • casswash2400
    casswash2400 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice and opinions, I truly appreciate it..