Punching Bags

Options
I'm wanting to get a punching bag, so I can kick box at home. I'm thinking one with a base, because that is what we used in the class I use to take. I've tried the hanging ones at the gym and I don't care for it when I'm trying to kick.

Any suggestions on a good punching bag with a base? What should I be looking for in a bag? I was surprised at all the different types out there.

thanks for any help!

Replies

• Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can't really recommend any with a base; I own a hanging bag. I can point out some limitations you should consider though.

Those with a base are usually filled with either water or sand. Most of them need some kind of filler to prevent them from flying across the floor during use.

Sand is heavy, very heavy. It would take a lot and your bag will be difficult to move around. That's great if you have a designated spot for it to stand forevermore; no so great if you intend to move it to another room, or just want to rearrange stuff. I've been told it's difficult to fill the base with sand - nearly impossible to empty; again, I don't own one and am only relying on others for that.

Water is relatively cheap, and easy to fill, easy to drain. But, and this is a given, your base will leak. Sand or water, it will leak. Just everyday use will cause a minute amount of movement across the floor and that slight friction over time will cause a leak. Sand is a pain to clean up, water is destructive when it leaks.

It was these reasons I went with a hanging bag and stand. My bag has a tiedown loop at the bottom; I use a heavy rubber bungee cord through the tiedown to limit the amount of swinging. I punch, kick, elbow to hearts content. The bungee also helps to snap the bag back. I also have over 100 lbs of sandbags on the legs of my stand so it doesn't rock and walk during use. Filled large trashbags with sand, duct tape heavily, and put those into old school backpacks left over from the kids schooldays. Works perfectly.