Non Americans celebrating Thanksgiving...

Options
4thehardman
4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
We are planning to celebrate Thanksgiving this year. We are an English/Australian Agnostic family living in Switzerland.

We decided before we had children that we wanted to teach our kids about all of the religions, culures and festivals around the World rather than conform to what those around us believe and celebrate. We hope that by doing this we will teach our children love, respect and tolerance and educate them in many different lifestyles so that they can make educated and well rounded choices when it comes to the path they choose to follow.

As this forum has many members from USA I'd like to know what your thoughts are and if you think it is appropriate?
Obviously the idea is to teach the children the history and not just sit down for a Turkey dinner without further thought for the occasion.

Thanks in advance for your input,
Lally.

Replies

• LorryGuthrie
    LorryGuthrie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of teaching kids (or adults, for that matter) many different cultures and religions. Teaches them to be tolerant and respectful of others, even if they are different from yourself. I have met folks from many different walks of life and it has taught me so much and made me a better person.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Ive never celebrated.. Im mexican
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I like the idea, as long as you aren't doing it as an excuse to overeat :) LOL.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it. I think it's a cool idea.
  • rsellersCST
    rsellersCST Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wow I think that's a fantastic idea!

Honestly... Thanksgiving in my mind is so much more than being thankful as an American for our country... though I do LOVE my country the spirit and meaning of Thanksgiving is so much more.

For us and what I teach my kids is that it's truly a time to focus on what we are thankful for... and give thanks to God for everything. Sometimes we "forget" or take for grant it the everyday things... or need to take an extra time to focus on things that mean a lot to us.

There's also the element of family and togetherness.

I know some who keep it truly based on faith, others that focus on being patriotic... and even more that enjoy football and great nosh!

I hope you find ways that you can share ideas with your family and truly enjoy the spirit of Thanksgiving... as it truly is a blessing.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! (Early... but hey, all the time is a good time to give thanks and share thanks!)
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I am now busy finding information on the tradition of thanksgiving so that they know the reall history of it and then will find a way of explaining the modern twist.

Lets hope it goes down better than explaining that it is their Dad and I that filled their stockings last year and not a fat guy in a sleigh.

Not an excuse to overeat. I will work out my portions and calories before hand. I can't exercise at the moment so I have to be extra careful.