Just starting to think about strength training

Options
I am fat and trying to slowly lose weight. I enjoy cardio; I'm at the point where I can walk 3mph for 20min or so and do some of the higher intensity exercises on the Wii Fit. This is not for the exercise/eat back thing, though I do feel a bit fuller if I exercise and eat back. I do it because I enjoy it and want to be able to run without getting quickly out of breath.

I am considering beginning strength training. I am, unfortunately, a pauper and unable to afford fancy things like gym memberships and exercise equipment. Thing is, every "beginner" program I find is waaaayyyyy too hard for me. I need some serious weakling-style beginner ideas. Will body-weight-only get me very far? It's cheap, and I do weigh a lot...

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/womens-workouts/

If you want some weights, get some off craigslist, or walmart. You don't need much to get started. You are on your way!
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Get a gym membership
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am fat and trying to slowly lose weight. I enjoy cardio; I'm at the point where I can walk 3mph for 20min or so and do some of the higher intensity exercises on the Wii Fit. This is not for the exercise/eat back thing, though I do feel a bit fuller if I exercise and eat back. I do it because I enjoy it and want to be able to run without getting quickly out of breath.

I am considering beginning strength training. I am, unfortunately, a pauper and unable to afford fancy things like gym memberships and exercise equipment. Thing is, every "beginner" program I find is waaaayyyyy too hard for me. I need some serious weakling-style beginner ideas. Will body-weight-only get me very far? It's cheap, and I do weigh a lot...

This is a link that you may find helpful. Good luck and don't give up!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Get a gym membership

She said that she can't afford a gym membership. Duh!!!
  • elianofiore
    Options
    The best thing you can do to lose pounds is going to gym three times a week and lift heavy weight as you can!!!
  • rubix08
    rubix08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I bought a resistance band for about $10 then invested in some weights (10lbs) just to do some light strength training at home. When I started losing weight at the beginning I only did cardio in the form of walking which has now progressed into jogging but now I really wanted to start incorporating strength training into my workouts. You can start light very easily, even without weights you can still use your body weight (push-ups, lunges, pull-ups etc.) to get in a nice little workout but you may want to look into getting a gym membership in the future if you want to start heavy lifting.
  • nyxrun
    nyxrun Posts: 60
    Options
    Get a gym membership

Not helpful when she said specifically that it was out of her budget....

To the OP - in addition to body weight exercises (which are GREAT and very helpful) you can start slowly with household items. Like...you can use cans as light weights. Fill a waterbottle with dirt/sand to make heavier weights etc.

http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/household-objects-can-improve-your-fitness can give you some ideas to get started.
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Second nyxrun's suggestions. I hate cardio - resistance training is more effective anyway. Start with isometrics or household objects for additional weight - when you get the hang out it check out craigslist/walmart/eBay and try to find some small weights being sold cheap that fit your needs.

Of course it's gonna be tough in the beginning if you've never done it before! lol Reality check on that: it doesn't, or shouldn't, get easier. Progress requires continual challenge.
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am fat and trying to slowly lose weight.
    I like your direct writing style. I would like to help you.
    I enjoy cardio
    That's just sick, I officially withdrawal my offer to help.
    I am considering beginning strength training.
    Woohoo! Excellent decision. This will be more beneficial than cardio.
    ... unable to afford fancy things like gym memberships and exercise equipment. ....Will body-weight-only get me very far? It's cheap, and I do weigh a lot...

You can start with bodyweight, and keep an eye out for some dirt cheap used equipment at yard sales. At some point you will need more than just bodyweight exercises.

There are literally millions of resources for home workouts online. From the crazy intense, and ridiculously hot Body Rocker videos on Youtube, to a basic 5 minute morning stretching exercise. Check this out. http://www.fatgirlsguidetoliving.com/2010/04/13/ask-fgg-best-beginner-at-home-workouts/

What do you like doing? Find some activities to go along with your body weight training. Set manageable goals. Try walking 4 days a week to start, then add two days a week of 5-10 minutes of "home strength training."
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    . Thing is, every "beginner" program I find is waaaayyyyy too hard for me. I need some serious weakling-style beginner ideas. Will body-weight-only get me very far? It's cheap, and I do weigh a lot...

Just try your hardest. If you have to, pick and choose a few specific workout from it and just do those. The next day try something else. Seriously every time you do it, it will get a little bit easier. I've been there. Heck. I am there.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Do you have a library nearby? I get most of my workout videos at the library, and it costs me nothing (as long as I return or renew them on time). I also think there are some sources for online streaming of fitness videos.

I recommend Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It's kind of intense, but she does have beginner modifications. The first time I did it, I didn't have weights yet, and I used soup cans :laugh: They weight about a pound each, and then the bigger cans are about 2 pounds. You don't even have to do a specific program, just look up how to do things like bicep curls, lunges, squats, etc. When you're ready for a bit more weight, you can get hand weights from Wal-Mart for around $5-$10 each; you can also get a fitness ball for $15 or less.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises are good. try ones that will put your weight to good work, like jump squats. Youtube has quite a bit of exercise routines that you can do.

I bought a lot of weights from thrift stores at a good deal, if you want to get real weights, you may want to look around. I'm sure you can buy them cheap in the classifieds, or on sites like ebay, or Amazon.
  • Skyfire23
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Some great ideas here. I will definitely try the library, and weigh a few things around my house to see if I can use them!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I started with a $25 set of resistance bands from Amazon. For such a cheap investment, I got surprisingly good results. They are versatile, have a range of resistance levels, and there are tons of exercises you can do with them.

Cardio is fun, I like it too. But strength training can do amazing things for you as well. Balance is a good thing.