my booty

Options
does anyone know of some fool proof exercises to slim and tighten my bottom and thighs area? Or course those are my hardest spots. also, as i lose weight, will they naturally go down? thanks

Replies

• annabanana
    annabanana Posts: 8
    Options
    does anyone know of some fool proof exercises to slim and tighten my bottom and thighs area? Or course those are my hardest spots. also, as i lose weight, will they naturally go down? thanks
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    squats, lunges, leg lifts (not sure what the real name of these is). Get on all fours, then lift one leg behind you with knee bent at 90 degree angle, heal pointed toward the ceiling. Do as many reps and sets as you like. You'll feel the burn in your tushy - I promise. To intensify it, you can add a small hand weight behind the knee of the leg you're lifting.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou:
    Bad news is that you can't target weight loss.
    Good news is that anything will help you achieve your goal. The simplest combination is running and squats. You should do both - cardio and weights training.
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    Options
    squats and lunges are the best lower body exercise as they use the most combination of muscles at once.

Vary the exercises with weights, 2-3 sets of 8, slower, hold for 8, slight pulse, cross over, alternate legs etc.
  • Pamy
    Pamy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I find that walking does the trick.

Pamela x
    :flowerforyou:
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    of if your happy to invest some time initially try pilates

either a class or home video - would recommend Lynne Robinson

broken into safe sections to target deep postural muscles and rebalancing muscles - freedeom to decide between one area and another and put them together for a supple strong overall leaner body

you will be taken through how to do squats, etc. from floor and in safe position for your back, etc.

its epsecially good if you have a weak lower back and/or prefer to stay away from gyms, weights, etc. and is gentle on your joints

recommended for women with family history of osteoperosis

and for busting stress

Mags

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    I've read a million times and seen numerous studies that conclude you can't spot reduce.

So the way to reduce your booty is to just lose weight. However your body will decide where to lose the weight first and where to lose last. Me, I lose in my waist and love handles last and doing situps will have no effect on that just like lunges and squats are not going to change where you lose your fat.

Exercise and diet and patience are what it will take and you may need a pretty low body fat % before you lose in your most troubling spots.
  • melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that while you can't 'spot-reduce' your weight in any particular area, you CAN tone different areas. I.e., someone was talking about lunges (ha ha - almost typed 'lunches' - guess what I just ate?)... so, lunges and squats can TONE what's underneath the fat... making it *appear* as though you've lost weight there (e.g. glutes), even though you've not lost a single ounce.

Does that resonate with anyone, or am I just completely out to lunch (ha ha - there's that word again!)
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    hi

It resonates with me.

You can target areas to tone. It is better of course to do an overall workout and do it safety, especially if you are inexperienced, be gentle to begin with. You just need to know that the harder to shift areas may still be there for a while and weight does still needs to be lost.

Start off with working on surrounding muscle groups also as it does make a difference. Muscles are connected by tendons and there is an inter-relationship between muscle groups.

Its why an overall work out is recommended and is more effective for tone and appearance.

Good luck.

I have been walking for 3 weeks and have a shape again. Its easier and enjoyable as you feel fitter and more able to handle the initial slight discomfort, which is all any exercise should safety provide.

Mags

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    That does not resonate with me.

Imo,

The fat caliber test pinches your skin to measure fat because much of your fat is between your muscles and your skin. You can't see the muscles underneath the fat until you reduce the fat, so toning the muscles underneath won't change your apperance. Actually if you work hard enough you'll increase the size of your muscles (for most this is really hard work to achieve to a significant level) but if you still have the fat covering them up you won't see the muscles.

However, any exercise including toning muscles will burn calories which will reduce fat. But the fat loss will not necessarily be at your trouple spots - at least not until you lose a lot of weight.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    That does not resonate with me.

Imo,

The fat caliber test pinches your skin to measure fat because much of your fat is between your muscles and your skin. You can't see the muscles underneath the fat until you reduce the fat, so toning the muscles underneath won't change your apperance. Actually if you work hard enough you'll increase the size of your muscles (for most this is really hard work to achieve to a significant level) but if you still have the fat covering them up you won't see the muscles.

However, any exercise including toning muscles will burn calories which will reduce fat. But the fat loss will not necessarily be at your trouple spots - at least not until you lose a lot of weight.

I agree with this, in fact by "toning" you are actually making the muscles larger and if you are not doing cardio as well, to reduce fat all over your body (it is true, you cannot spot-reduce), then those "trouble areas" will actually appear larger than before due the the built-up muscles beneath the layer of fat.
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    If you do your strength training it will help boost your matabolism and then Cardio will burn your fat. You can burn calories all day if you do strength training... I just bought the Turbo Jam and I did her strength training video and I am so sore. Mix it up. 3 days a week cardio and 2 to 3 days strenght. Good luck....
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Your easiest bet here would be walking. Then walking up a steeper hill. Then the steepest hill you can find or set your treadmill to!

I live on a mountain side and walk up a very very steep hill for at least thirty minutes daily, in addition to some aerobics (zumba to be specific!)

i noticed relatively quickly that my butt is so much more developed and tigher than it ever has been! i also notice a huge difference in my thighs. Just from walking up hill every day! (its great cardio also!)