Rest Days V Exercise

Options
Does anyone else feel thinner/fitter on a day where they DON'T exercise?

Recently, i've cut down my workouts from 6 days to 5 and i've been feeling alot better. I know rest is good for the body, but on days where i DO work out, i always feel bloated or fatter than on days I rest.

Anybody else feel the same?

:]

Replies

• Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It's the exact opposite for me as I feel pumped and leaner on days that I do work out...guess it's also cause on my off days I refeed and eat twice as much carbs as I usually would.
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    Yeah i guess it does depend on the person and their diet as well. On days i work out (normally circuit training) I feel bloated and knackered - strange!
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Rest days are needed for the body to recover. Working out hard makes the body retain water, and during rest days you get rid of it.
    My personal trainer even recommends taking off a week or 2 after 2-3 months of working out intensely, and during that off time, you get rid of a lot of water too.
    Exercise days make you feel good mentally, so yes, both exercise days and rest days can make you feel good.
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    oh wow really? well that makes sense. Thanks for the great post!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    That is so weird! I was just talking to my friend (in 4th year of exercise science at uni) and he told me the same thing about taking a week off! I've been doing the 30 day shred and am thinking about resting for a few days after it before starting another dvd :smile: However, I find that what I've eaten determines how bloated I feel more-so than workouts.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    im the opposite too ! makes me feel great n slim and I love the sore feeling you get after a work out lol I know, im a creep :laugh:
  • mrtoaster
    mrtoaster Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think I stumbled across the whole resting for a week after a month recently.

I was forced to lay up through injury for a few weeks after working out between 4-6 days a week for a few months consistently. In those couple of weeks I lost between 3 and 4 pounds a week even though my food choices were not always the best. I’m completely guessing but it could be that you are using up your glycogen stores in your muscles
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    Yeah its weird, i don't know why but i just feel better when i've had rest. I know your body needs rest to recover but you'd just assume the days where you work out would be the days where you'd feel better.