Help? I'm not sure

Options
My aim is to 118 pounds by November 28th. Six weeks exactly today.
I'm currently at 130 pounds. So 12 pounds to lose. It's not a huge about but I couldn't lose much more than that.
November 28th is an important day as it's the day of my last exam - my last day of high school :)

Do you think it's to extreme? It's aiming to lose 2 pounds per week..
I'm just not sure. But I really want to reach my goal.

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I would say it's do-able but as you don't have a great deal to lose with regards to your end weight it'll be very very tough. Up the anti and who knows anything is possible, just keep trucking
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    my question is whats wrong with 130 pounds? that is a very healthy wieght! Why aiming for 118 of all numbers?
  • littleagainplease
    Options
    I would say it's do-able but as you don't have a great deal to lose with regards to your end weight it'll be very very tough. Up the anti and who knows anything is possible, just keep trucking

Yeah it will be tough, I just don't want to push to hard.. then end up so hungry and frustrated I eat a million cheese burgers or something like that :tongue:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What height are you?

I'm guessing that 130 is within the "healthy" bmi range, in which case your body is really going to resist anything as intense as 2 pounds a week. While it may be feasible, it certainly wouldn't be healthy.

I think it would be, to use your words "pushing too hard", and many pitfalls would open up, filled with cheeseburgers.
  • littleagainplease
    Options
    my question is whats wrong with 130 pounds? that is a very healthy wieght! Why aiming for 118 of all numbers?

I guess there is nothing wrong with 130 pounds other than the fact it's not my goal weight..
    I'm just satisfied with how my body right now. To be perfectly honest there is no exact reason why it's 118 :tongue:
  • littleagainplease
    Options
    What height are you?

I'm guessing that 130 is within the "healthy" bmi range, in which case your body is really going to resist anything as intense as 2 pounds a week. While it may be feasible, it certainly wouldn't be healthy.

I think it would be, to use your words "pushing too hard", and many pitfalls would open up, filled with cheeseburgers.

I'm 5'4.
    130 is in the healthy bmi range. Though so is 118.
    Maybe the time span is pushing it a bit much..
  • TimeWarp9
    Options
    Not to mention the stress of going through finals! Aim for your goal in a healthy way but understand that your body might have other ideas...
  • Shotgun_Sinner
    Options
    I think if you work hard, you can acheive it - though I wouldn't make it a priority over exams!!

130lbs is perfectly fine, but who am I to tell you not to work hard. If you're not happy with your body, then work hard and make the change you want :)

I say go go go!! :D
  • littleagainplease
    Options
    I think if you work hard, you can acheive it - though I wouldn't make it a priority over exams!!

130lbs is perfectly fine, but who am I to tell you not to work hard. If you're not happy with your body, then work hard and make the change you want :)

I say go go go!! :D

No it's definitely not a priority over exams. I just want to finish high school happy with my body and happy with my results :)
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    What height are you?

I'm 5'4.
    130 is in the healthy bmi range. Though so is 118.
    Maybe the time span is pushing it a bit much..

I think that 1lb per week would be a healthier, more sustainable goal...I started tracking again 2 months ago and I've lost 10lbs as I'm verrrry close to goal but I'm already extremely satisfied with my body! I was 133lbs and now I'm 123lbs...just think, would you rather weigh 124ish than 130? If so, take the slow and steady approach or you risk starting a very intensive plan and burning out from hunger etc then inevitably remaining at the same weight!

I'm 5'5 myself and I know what you mean about being unhappy at 130...its a great healthy weight, but it means carrying that bit extra that just doesn't lend to tight clothes etc...I didn't *feel* slim until this week. I'm 23 and haven't weighed this much since I was 16 lol!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, change your time frame. Concentrate on your exams over the next 6 weeks, then give yourself 2 months to drop to 124, and then reassess. Actually, having a target range is probably better than obsession over only one number, so change your target to something like "maintaining between 118-123 by March 2013"
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    12 pounds is 10% of your goal weight. So as I get closer to the lower end of my healthy weight range, the slower the weight came off. As in some months just 1 pound.. You are much younger than I so it could happen, but then maintenance is a bit harder. I would advice going for like 1/2 a pound a week and trying to keep exercise in your life while studying for finals. Eat healthy, and try not to get into bad habits a lot of us did in school like mindless eating while studying.

A year from now, you will be thankful. Congrats on being at a healthy weight and so close to graduating!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think it's an aggressive goal considering that you are already a healthy weight. It's extremely unlikely that you will lose that quickly and if you do, it may not be healthy to do so. I'm an inch shorter than you, and a few pounds heavier, and the weight is just not coming off that quickly. 2 lbs a week is more appropriate for someone who is obese.

I would just eat at a small calorie deficit (ie tell MFP you want to lose 0.5 lb a week), get some exercise in, concentrate on your exams, and hopefully you will have lost a few pounds. That time is going to pass anyway. I can honestly understand the pull of being a certain weight by a certain date, but try not to get too hung up on it. This is probably the last thing you want to hear, but you're young, you're already a healthy weight; you have all the time in the world to achieve your weight loss goals. You'll get there, but it just might take a bit longer than you want.
  • littleagainplease
    Options
    12 pounds is 10% of your goal weight. So as I get closer to the lower end of my healthy weight range, the slower the weight came off. As in some months just 1 pound.. You are much younger than I so it could happen, but then maintenance is a bit harder. I would advice going for like 1/2 a pound a week and trying to keep exercise in your life while studying for finals. Eat healthy, and try not to get into bad habits a lot of us did in school like mindless eating while studying.

A year from now, you will be thankful. Congrats on being at a healthy weight and so close to graduating!

Hmmm, 10% is quite alot now I look at it.

I find it alot easier to study if i've exercise though. It makes me feel good and motivated. So i'll try keep it up.
    Thank you :)
  • FLCullen
    FLCullen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You are doing exams...and you want to LOSE weight? You have this all wrong- embrace this time, EAT!!! Your poor body is going to be exhausted from all the cramming and worrying and tossign and turning at night. Buy a Coke and a massive chocolate bar and worry about this when your finals are over.
  • littleagainplease
    Options
    You are doing exams...and you want to LOSE weight? You have this all wrong- embrace this time, EAT!!! Your poor body is going to be exhausted from all the cramming and worrying and tossign and turning at night. Buy a Coke and a massive chocolate bar and worry about this when your finals are over.

It's summer time after exams! Everyone likes to lose a bit of weight before summer
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    I understand the reason...Different people look different at the same weight... And that's why am relying on body fat percentage over the scale now..while most people look awesome at 130 I am called "chubby" at 120..!... maybe it's my small frame...no idea...

But since there's nothing to lose I will help you (if you promise not to starve:)).. I found turbofire works pretty brilliant for me...I just started few days ago and I can see differences..Basically a good workout that really gets you panting at the end!...

Eat healthier...include more fruits and vegetables... Have a salad before each meal and drink lots of water... If you can divide your meals into 5 that way you won't feel hungry when studying late into the nights...snack on celery sticks... oh and do try sleeping a minimum of 7 hours... :)... You may not reach your goal weight but you will feel a lot more toned and happier :)

best of luck with exams and working out! :)
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week when you are already in a healthy BMI range is a bit much too ask!! Also, calculate your body fat % and make sure that you actually can go that low. Around 15-20% for a woman is still good. There's no point if you're trying to reduce it below that...
  • littleagainplease
    Options
    I understand the reason...Different people look different at the same weight... And that's why am relying on body fat percentage over the scale now..while most people look awesome at 130 I am called "chubby" at 120..!... maybe it's my small frame...no idea...

But since there's nothing to lose I will help you (if you promise not to starve:)).. I found turbofire works pretty brilliant for me...I just started few days ago and I can see differences..Basically a good workout that really gets you panting at the end!...

Eat healthier...include more fruits and vegetables... Have a salad before each meal and drink lots of water... If you can divide your meals into 5 that way you won't feel hungry when studying late into the nights...snack on celery sticks... oh and do try sleeping a minimum of 7 hours... :)... You may not reach your goal weight but you will feel a lot more toned and happier :)

best of luck with exams and working out! :)

Thank you :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is not realistic if you want to lose it in a healthy way. as yo udont have much to lose, you should be aiming for 0.5 to 1lb per week.

to be honest if you focus on toning up and losing bodyfat with a good strength training routine you will LOOK a lot better even if you dont actually weigh less!