Too much protein?

Options
Do you manage to stick to your calorie/carbs/fat/protein count? I'm ALWAYS over on the protein but under on everything else. Today by 13g - should I be worried????

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Not really. Most people probably don't eat enough anyway. If you're over by 100 then maybe reconsider.
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I usually go over by 100. Don't know if there is any proven study that it causes problems though. Anyone?
  • corker1971
    Options
    that much? and you still lose weight?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I actually went into the site settings and changed my macro profile, because they had me set up as 55% carbs, 30% fat, and 15% protein, which is laughable. I switch the carb and protein numbers, which I find works better for me anyway. I am well over 200g of protein daily.
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    I changed my levels too as I'm following a programme devised by my trainer and he has me on way more protein....working wonders so far
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I changed my setting to higher protein as well. If you are working out hard you need more protein, I guess unless you want be skinny; I am working on muscle tone myself. Here check out this link:
    How Much Protein Per Day To Build Muscle, Lose Fat & Be Healthy?
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-much-protein-per-day/
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I manually switched my numbers. I like less carbs myself. To me the sugar and fat are more important to keep up with, though those are the ones I struggle with the most. Sodium I do good at least.
  • thephysiquemechanic
    Options
    No proven studies that say that any amount will really cause and harm according to articles ive read. My protien intake for my clean bulk is almost double that of which i normal take in . Youll be fine going over the suggested calculated amount.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Default here is 15% protein. That's crazy low. And carbs are set too high IMO.
    I changed it to 40/30/30.
    good approximate number for your protein intake is about 1g per pound of lean mass.
    I aim for 100g daily, fall short sometimes but I try to keep it up there!
  • aliesha1978
    Options
    Hey all, I'm new to this and gallowmere,mine is the same and I'm trying to eat more protein and no more than 100g carbs. What protein are u eating to get those numbers. I've just started dieting on here and I don't know what I really should be eating of carbs, protein but I'm trying not to eat anymore that 30g of fat. Does this sound all ok?
  • woodysdragon
    Options
    Protein is made up of amino acids, needed for growth and repair (sorry; basic biology!). It is not stored in the body but any excess is broken down in the liver and excreted via the bladder. So no real worry about excess unless you have liver or kidney problems.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The only documented case I've ever seen of a bad effect from it was a month or two ago when something was reported in the press about some guy trying to bulk up insanely fast doing 8-10 shakes a day, plus bars, plus meat, doing 500g+ of protein every day in addition to creatine and other supps and just ended up passing out a lot. Basically don't do anything utterly retarded and you'll be fine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

protein is a GOOD thing to eat a lot of...
  • keni88
    keni88 Posts: 22
    Options
    haha yea i read about the guy doing 8 shakes a day! and even then they recon it was more to do with the surplus amount of vitamins and minerals than the protein. he was up to 25k% RDA for Vit b!! a red bull is only 500%!!!
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options

I usually hit around 175-200g of protein a day even when cutting. At the moment I am trying to gain weight. There is about. 4 calories per gram of protein which means I consume around 800 calories from protein, however the thermo effect of protein (how much energy your body expends to break it down and digest) is higher than carbs or fats meaning your body burns off more calories digesting it.

P.s I only have 1-2 shakes a day max and that's immediately after training , the rest of the protein I get is through grassfed steak or eggs, chicken, salmon
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how much protein you are getting, but I would tend to doubt that you are anywhere near getting too much protein if you are under your calorie goal. As for me, I have my protein set to 30% of my 1800 calorie goal, putting me at a goal of 113 grams daily. Also, I read a study that showed that for fat loss, you are better off with a protein ratio of a minimum of 25% of your calories. For women, it stated a minimum of 72 grams of protein. I think it would be extremely difficult to get too much protein in your diet when in a caloric deficit.