Working out TOO MUCH

MirandaJayne
MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So last week was week 1 of my training for my beginners triathlon (375m swim, 10k bike 2.5k run -msg me if you live in Ont and want more details).

Anyway, I really think that I pushed myself too hard and did TOO MUCH work out. This is what my week last week looked like:

MONDAY:
10 min swim
10 min run treadmill (5 min warm up & cool down)
Sauna 20 mins
Evening 1.5 hr hot yoga
TUESDAY:
40 min spin class
30 min in the sauna
WEDNESDAY:
Muscle Moves (weight class) 40mins
Treadmill 10 mins run (5 min warm up & cool down)
20 min in the sauna
THURSDAY:
Spin 40 min
Sauna 25 mins
Evening 1.5 hr Hot Yoga
FRIDAY:
Cardio Bosu class
Sauna 25 min
SATURDAY:
Off
Played Wii - just dance (7 songs)
SUNDAY:
14 min swim (6 full laps w breaks in there)
1 min treading water
15 min sauna

So this week, I am cutting back. Not because I am sore. I have some aches in my legs but because 1 I did not see the results I wanted to see (weight loss) and 2 I feel that my form and ability to properly execute the workouts is being compromised.

So this week looks like this!
MONDAY:
15 min run on Treadmill (5 min warm up & cool down)
20 min Sauna
Evening 20 min swim
20 min sauna
TUESDAY:
Spin class 40 mins
20-30 min sauna
WEDNESDAY:
Muscle Moves 40 mins
Run on Treadmill for 10 mins (5 min warm up & cool down)
20-30 min sauna
THURSDAY:
Spin class 40 mins
20-30 min sauna
Evening 1.5hr Hot Yoga
FRIDAY:
Cardio Bosu 40 mins
20-30 min Sauna
SATURDAY:
20 min swim
20 min sauna
SUNDAY:
off

I know I do not have 2 full days where I am resting but I am doing less. . . . I think.

Any feedback. I work a day job, 8:30-4:30, but Tuesday Wednesdays I work a second part time job 4-8pm as well. So mainly I am doing classes at 6:10am at the gym 1 because there are less excuses for me to not go to the gym and 2 I get home after work and just don`t have the drive or energy to go to the gym.

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Not counting your yoga, your total minutes in week 2 (225 mins) are more than your 1st week( 205 mins), but still within reason. Like I mentioned to you before, I'm also gearing up for some duathlons/triathlons & runs this year, and my average week consists approx. 300 to 400 mins per week. So I don't think you're training too much at all, but about right for the distance you'll be doing for the triathlon.

A good place to log your exercises & mingle with other triathletes is at BeginnerTriathlete.com . Very informative forum, and some training plans, logging, etc.

Not sure why you're in the sauna so much though. :laugh:
  • MirandaJayne
    Not sure why you're in the sauna so much though. :laugh:

I just like to sit in the sauna to relax after the workout. I get my Ipod and my 28oz bottle of water and just relax after working out before I have to go to work for the day. Or if I am working out at night, then to relax me to get ready for bed. Not so much for the calorie or weight loss (as I know its just water loss), but I find it draws out the toxins of every day life and since going into the sauna on a regular basis I hardly ever get colds.

So... *shrugs* yeah... I guess thats why. lol :embarassed:
  • have you been supplementing your recovery with massage? i highly recommend it. as a licensed massage therapist, there's a lot of things that is can do for you.

for example:

for 1.5 to 2 hours after your massage, your white blood cell count (immune system) increases 40-80%.
    for 1.5 to 2 hours after your massage, your red blood cell count increases 3-7%.
    regular massage will increase your circulation to the fascia (fatty layer under the skin) and help move along unwanted debris and toxins (lactic acid will move along quicker with regular massage and can lessen post-exercise soreness).
    regular massage can improve lung, heart, and circulation performance over time.
    a good massage therapist will incorporate joint movements, which will help lubricate your joints. your lymphatic vessels are largest around your joints (because so much debris can formulate in the joints and needs to be moved out of the area), and assisted joint movements will also stretch and lengthen your muscles.
    also, you don't need to get deep tissue or sports massage to see drastic results. heavy broad stroking and relaxation massage will improve your overall health without the pain of deep work.
    plus, your skin will tone up over time as well, giving you a more toned look.
    there are some lipossage massage therapists out there, and it's proven to minutely break up fatty pockets within the fascia and several people lose a good amount of inches. i will tell you, though, it's very expensive.

i agree with what ray is saying. i don't think you're working out too much. but too much time in a sauna can have adverse affects on your blood chemistry and circulation. think about it: if you put a heating pad on a muscle every day, it might help relax it, but your body becomes addicted to the heat over time and NEEDS the heat in order to get any form of relaxation. it can also cause a form of hyperemia that can cause "tortise shelling" of the skin which can be permanent. personally, i think 20 minutes is fine and professionals suggest no more than 20 minutes. but too much heat can adversely affect the acidity of your blood pH, which is NOT good, and cause your superficial blood vessels to stay dilated. so, all i ask, is have fun relaxing in the sauna (because you deserve it after working out so hard) and be mindful. i used to love the sauna and went every day. now, i have permanent capital circulatory dilation (the blood vessels in my head are extremely large) and i live with migranes on a daily basis.

keep up your AWESOME work! and if you're not treating yourself with a massage at least once a month, i think it's time you try! it'll improve your overall well-being, i guarantee it.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    I'd say watch the heat. With all the sauna and the hot yoga, that might be too much. Other than that you 25/50/25 about on your training time for your events. If you're still not seeing the weight, try cutting your "heat" in half and increasing your water intake. Your body might be retaining water to help cool you during those heat sesions.
  • MirandaJayne
    Awesome!

I really appreciate everyones feedback. It will be sad to cut back on my time in the sauna as I love relaxing in there so much, but if its going to be detrimental to all the hard work im trying to put in, then it must be done.

kamakazilover; I have been going to get massages, lately all for tension in my neck and shoulders, but my last visit I had my rmt do some work on my thighs (mainly back left) and Whoah Nelly| TENSION! So I am hoping to get more of a whole body rmt instead of just my upper and lower back.
  • MirandaJayne
    p.s. I like to think that I am staying hydrated, usually drinking as little as 3, 8oz glasses of water, but on average 10, 8 oz glasses of water.
  • MirandaJayne
    Well today was day 1 of making changes that were recomended to me. I only sat in the sauna for 5 mins after my work out and did some weights after my spin class. I did legs today as tomorrows muscle moves class is primarily arms.

Thanks everyone!
  • jrr7
    jrr7 Posts: 12 Member
    You may not be losing weight because you are gaining muscle mass which weighs more than fat. Also after intense workouts your muscles swell some and retain some fluid which will make you seem like you are gaining weight. It is normal to be up to a couple of pounds heavier the day after an intense workout. I wouldn't worry about the weight so much, I would just listen to what my body is telling me. If I workout pretty intensely for a few days and just feel like I'm pushing it too much, I will take a day off or just do a light workout one day and make sure I get some extra sleep. Your body needs some time to recover in order for it to make new muscle efficiently.
This discussion has been closed.