trapped in a career you dont like

Options
I know that a lot of people are stuck with careers they dont like. I think it gets very frustrating when you dont even know what your talents are, or what you would really like to do.

Replies

• kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was in this position... I hate computers, but was a DBA because I passed the courses in college.

Then I found a masters program that melded my computer background with other fields such as biology, sociology and psychology together. I tried the program and fell in love.

There are many variations of a lot of fields out there. What you are in may suck, but you may just need to find the right flare of your career field that is right for you.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    I feel you. It's not so much I feel trapped as angry that this job doesn't cut it. I can't afford to keep this job. I have to work 3 jobs to be able to afford to live. I don't live extravagantly, but I can't afford life with the salary I make. I'm too scared to move on, feel so loyal to the company I work for, and I actually feel guilty that I want to look for another job. I've been there so long now, it's like a second family.
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have been miserable in my job as a Lawyer for the past 3 years. I also have a 12 week notice period. 10 weeks ago I handed in my notice, and that drove me to find something new. I start my new job helping victims of domestic violence in 2 weeks time. although Im taking a pay cut and having to commute an hour and 20 mins rather than a 20 minute walk to work every day, im doing it for the right reasons. I want to be happy and help people.

Be brave if you hate it that much!
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I chose my career not because I had a passion for my job but because I do it well and it gives me 5 weeks of vacation every year to begin with!

You have to prioritize. Obviously my reasons will not be everyone elses but hopefully they can respect my choices and move on.

Judge lest ye be judged!! Happy Hump Day :)
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly like this. I'm a PE teacher and i feel so unhappy and am struggling to find work out of the profession. There are perks such as long holidays, but it is so stressful and regimented when i'm at work.

Any support welcome. I work in a pretty tough school and have been for nearly 7 years.
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I know that a lot of people are stuck with careers they dont like. I think it gets very frustrating when you dont even know what your talents are, or what you would really like to do.

I could so have written this & what's even worse is at 44 years old I am still none the wiser !!
  • nerchk
    nerchk Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i want change badly. I am good at my job, i do it well, but if i were to be a bank teller id still be good at it, im generally good with people and i want the job to be done. But i know i wasnt born to work in a library my entire life and with a library degree there almost nothing else.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have been miserable in my job as a Lawyer for the past 3 years. I also have a 12 week notice period. 10 weeks ago I handed in my notice, and that drove me to find something new. I start my new job helping victims of domestic violence in 2 weeks time. although Im taking a pay cut and having to commute an hour and 20 mins rather than a 20 minute walk to work every day, im doing it for the right reasons. I want to be happy and help people.

Be brave if you hate it that much!

Oh yes, I was miserable as a lawyer, went back to school to get a MA in Public Policy, not I work at a Think Tank in Cali and love it! Change is hard sometimes, but it can be sooo worth it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I chose my career not because I had a passion for my job but because I do it well and it gives me 5 weeks of vacation every year to begin with!

You have to prioritize. Obviously my reasons will not be everyone elses but hopefully they can respect my choices and move on.

Judge lest ye be judged!! Happy Hump Day :)

This is pretty much where I'm at - but without the 5 weeks of vacation!

My job is ok....I like my coworkers and the benefits, but it's not what I'd love to be doing with my life. However, my husband's job is very demanding on his time and our family life, so it's important for me to have regular hours and flexibility to take care of things (errands, appointments, etc). We have a daughter, so I have to be available for her. If I was doing what I really wanted (event planning) that wouldn't be possible because my hours would be so irregular too. That wouldn't be fair to him or our little girl. I chose to make that sacrifice for my family, and with no regrets! I have some hobbies and activities that give me fufillment - and my husband fully supports that. Someday, I'll get to pursue my career dreams too....but for now, I'm content.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

I could so have written this & what's even worse is at 44 years old I am still none the wiser !!

Me too! I keep saying that at 45, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!