Counting carb intake?

Options
Does anyone pay attention to their carb intake or just the calories? I'm lowering how many carbs I'm eating. The problem is that I have to watch my protein intake as well since my kidneys are failing. I am on a low fat, low protein, low potassium diet, and it is very limiting as far as what I can choose to eat. This isn't me trying to lose weight...this is me avoiding being attached to a dialysis machine for the rest of my life since I'm not allowed (at least here) to have a kidney transplant.

Replies

• mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The only reason I pay attention is because carbs are quite calorie dense for what you get. I eat between 200g and 300g a day, but I don't specifically limit it.

I have carbs with every meal, but I try to ensure that it's healthy stuff (brown rice rather than white, pasta, wholemeal breads, wraps etc).

So I check my carbs because they bump up my calorie counts for the day, not because my carb count is high. (I just know the 200g - 300g range because I had to specifcally check :) ).
  • dutch52
    dutch52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yes I watchcarb intake as I do fats and protiens, all to do with maintanace really and more so if deiting for a comp then all three get monitored very closely.
    Just watch what you class as carbs, as said mulderpf, make them good sources, rice, pasta, potato.....
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    You need to eat what you need to to stay off that machine. Talk to your doctor or dietician and ask them these questions when you get a chance.

Best wishes in your health!