Coffee drink discrepencies

Options
Maybe I'm being an idiot and someone can explain this to me, but when I go to a coffee shop's nutritional information (such as Starbucks), I am told a 12oz soy skinny mocha with no whip is 130 calories. However, if I instead just input all the ingredients into my diary (12 oz plain soy milk, 2 shots of espresso and 2 tbl Da Vinci sugar free chocolate syrup) it's only 70 calories. Am I missing something? Where are those extra 60 calories coming from? I'm fairly sure that steaming milk does not increase it's calorie content...

Replies

• ambiedawnz
    ambiedawnz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Maggie0125
    Options
    Perhaps Starbucks isn't quoting for sugar free syrup?
  • stephanieseaward
    stephanieseaward Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong but I think the Starbucks website is quoting the calories for skim milk and you are quoting calories for soy milk???
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I think I have a solution for you: don't go to Starbucks.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    yeah, make your own instead of going to Fivebucks... You'll save calories as well as money!! :)
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Starbucks says it is quoting soy and not skim. I didn't actually go to Starbucks, though, so I checked some other coffee shop sites and they were all the within 30 calories (usually on the higher side).

While I agree making my own is better and I prefer the taste, I'm not always driving to work from home in the morning and morning coffee is just NOT negotiable. I also seem to be incapable of going into a coffee shop and ordering just plain coffee. If I'm in a coffee shop, I'm getting a fancy drink that I wish I could make at home but can't stand the home versions of the espresso/steamer machines.