Never sick anymore!

Options
For my entire life I have always had a very poor immune system. I was constantly sick & my colds would last for weeks, instead of a few days like most people. If I was around someone who was sick for literally 10 seconds, I would catch whatever they had. It was ridiculous & really depressing at times. Since I started eating better & working out almost a year ago I realized that I have barely been sick in the past several months & if I have gotten sick I've gotten over it very quickly! I feel so amazing & I just can't imagine going back to the lazy junk food eating lifestyle I used to live. Your body truly is what you make of it, fuel it with healthy food & keep it strong with exercise & it will thank you! I just wanted to share that :happy:

Replies

• JEWEL776
    JEWEL776 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Same here!! I get sick for about 2 or 3 days compared to weeks at a time! And not as often as before!
  • noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Terrific! We sometimes lose sight of all the health benefits to eating healthier and incorporating exercise into our daily life. It is amazing! Glad that you are doing so much better. Keep up the good work.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Congrats! My 6 month winter cold is kicking in this week.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You've just made me realise the same thing.
    I've two children, work in a nursery and travel on public transport - I normally catch everything going. So far (ok it's only end of October) I've not had anything - touches wood - but others around me have been coming down with coughs/colds already.
    Great and unexpected NSV perhaps. Hope it lasts.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    This is weird, now that you're saying that, I've just realized it's the same for me! I tend(ed) to be sick really often and now that I think of it, I haven't been to the doctor for ages... Well, it's awesome! Yay for healthy eating and thank you for mentioning that, I feel good realizing that :))
  • Morethanwillpower12
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing. I have been eating better and exercising since March and I have only been sick with a cold once whereas before I would have been sick numerous times.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Me too...I haven't had a cold in two or three years! Not even a sore throat! Only realised this recently and I'm amazed because I grew up on antibiotics & cough drops LOL.
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing when I made sure I was eating enough. Plus now with my hub working at wholefoods we get the majority of our food from there, where before we could only get a few things. But i was the same way, I would restrict my calories (and fat) more and more because I wasn't getting results and would wind up sick. there really is a lot of crap in food people think are healthy (e.g yogurt-yoplait/dannon, cheese-kraft, store bought meats and veggies )
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    For me it's been at least 3 years since I got a cold. In my case I think it's due to not eating out in restraunts. I don't get exposed to the germs that sick restraunt staff spread when they can't afford to take a day off but maybe it's just because I'm so old that I have resistance to the common ailments. What-ever. I don't miss the illness.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I never get sick. No shots, no medications, just diet and exercise. People tell me "Oh, when you get older that will change." No it won't, because I'll still be eating right and lifting heavy. Just like my metabolism, right? Whatever.

Lymphatic fluid requires movement to circulate through the body and be cleansed in the spleen. Unlike the cardiovascular system which as the heart to pump blood, lymph nodes and vessels to don't have an interanl mechanism to make it move but relies on your own movement.

Obviously eating better and more wholesome foods provide essential micronutrients the immune system needs to build and fight infection. Biochemical changes in the body both mental and physical also contribute to the increased proficiency of the humoral immune system.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Keep at it. I am 55 years old, have been eating clean and working out for most of my life, and I am RARELY (and I'm talking about maybe once every 2 or 3 years) even sick with as much as the sniffles. It works.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Improving your overall health.
    The only time I ever get sick is during the summer. I always catch the flu and I am out for like a week.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm just so amazed at the change in my health! It was so bad when I was a child that my parents had to take me out of school & home school me because I was out sick more than I was actually at school.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Right there with you! Totally improved immune system response. Fewer incidents of illness and shorter duration. Pretty awesome huh!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid parents didn't bubble wrap their kids, we ate dirt, played in mud, weren't continually washing our hands or slathering on Purell to 'kill the germs'. I worked in food service, handled money (we didn't wear gloves back then when we touched food) I developed a strong immune system by being exposed to everything as I was growing up. I didn't all of a sudden 'lose' it when I gained weight - maybe because I never really ate 'junk' I don't know.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    That's so nice, not getting sick as much! When I smoked, I would catch every little thing going around. Twice I got pneumonia and would be fearful of every cold turning into it. It's been about a year since I was last sick, whereas before I would have had countless colds during that time.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Just goes to show you how beneficial the whole healthy lifestyle can be! Enjoy your non-sickness. :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I am just getting over a cold that was a lot shorter and less intense than the one I had in April (before working out and eating right). Also, I dealt with insomnia as long as I can remember and I can sleep now! It's crazy how just having healthy habits can change these things.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's been three years for me, with nary a cold virus or anything else "catching." I've realized it's the combination of better diet, consistent exercise and drinking quite a bit of water. Those, and the fact that the more water you drink, the more you visit the loo, and lathering up the hand-washing machine.