Creatine users.

Options
I looked into taking creatine and thought that it would be a good starter with weights.I work with a guy who use to do bodybuilding comps and won quite a few of them. He suggested it would be a good idea if I take it properly. I know it said that it makes you bloat and gain about 2-3lbs in water but I was kind of hoping where I have so much weight to lose that it would kind of even out and show no difference in weight rather then a gain. I lost 5lbs in my first 2 weeks before I started taking them. I have only been on them for a few days, and when I weighted myself this morning it says I gained almost 2 lbs back. I have been eating so strict, weighing and measuring my meals. I work out every day, both cardio and weights. Did anyone else have this problem with taking creatine? I was thinking of dropping it for a few days to see if it is the creatine..

Run down of my typical day
4 am breakfast
5:30 p90x or turbofire using the TRX suspension system, followed by 2 km walk
7- protein shake
8- work (I work in receiving for flooring, I lift heavy boxes all day) (side note: I love that i'm 5'4 and wear pink bows in my hair and truck drivers ask me who is the GUY who off loads their truck with the forklift and then I jump on the forklift. The look on their faces is priceless!)
9- snack
12 pm- lunch
3- snack
6- off of work
6:30- supper which is usually some type of homemade soup no breads
7- 8km walk
9- zZzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Looking for some advice or tips from people who actually take creatine.
Should I stop or keep trucking on for a few more weeks?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Creatine causes water retention. That's likely what you are seeing. Water retention is good for hyperhydrating for increasing strength, but other than that, I see no reason to supplement it at all, unless you don't eat any form of red meat.
  • Chicken and fish is the only meat I eat.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    The water is stored in muscle tissue, so it makes you look more muscular, not more fat. I think creatine usage is accounting for 8-10 lbs of my weight right now.
  • rootbag
    rootbag Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi there.

I take creatine (around 10g - 20g day) - how long have you been lifting? Have you noticed an increase in strength/endurance since starting?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

I take creatine (around 10g - 20g day) - how long have you been lifting? Have you noticed an increase in strength/endurance since starting?

no need to take more than 5 g a day. 20 g a day is a waste
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Whats hyperhydrating?
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not believe that creatine is necessary or helps with strength in the long run. Lots of creatine vendors claim that this substance aids in the gain of muscle mass, but it honestly just causes water retention in the muscles. Its efficiency is limited to the first minutes of the muscular effort, so I'm not sure it's really worth the money/the bloating when you could do it naturally with a high protein diet.
  • The number going up after being so strict scared me. I use to have issues with the scale the first time I lost weight. This time i'm doing everything properly but then to see a gain in such a sort time was upsetting. I don't want to stop taking it if this is normal, but how will I know?
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Hi there.

Well that depends. When you first start you might take 20 per day for 10 days or so to load up and get the effects sooner, or you could just go at 5 per day and start getting the effects at around a month in. After you get going though 5g is day is definitely enough.
  • rootbag
    Options
    Hi there.

For the average person this may be correct, not so in my case. Also 20g is a relatively standard amount to take during a loading phase.
  • Hi there.

I have been doing P90X for a few years off and on but this round I thought maybe creatine would be a good boost. I honestly haven't really noticed a big difference I started taking it.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    The number going up after being so strict scared me. I use to have issues with the scale the first time I lost weight. This time i'm doing everything properly but then to see a gain in such a sort time was upsetting. I don't want to stop taking it if this is normal, but how will I know?

Just give it time and don't rely on the scale only. Rely on apperance, bodyfat readings if you can get them, how your clothes fit, etc. When I finished my cut and started loading creatine and eating more than 100g of carbs per day again, I gained 11 lbs in 3 weeks even though I was still not eating all the way back up to maintenance. The only difference in appearance I could tell was my arms being bigger (they gained .5" in circumference in that 3 weeks) and my pants fit the same.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

For the average person this may be correct, not so in my case. Also 20g is a relatively standard amount to take during a loading phase.

loading is not required. see ALan Aragon or just search creatine loading. you are not special. 5 g is plenty and if you eat any meat, you really dont even need to supplement. but you will do what you want, so proceed.
  • I didn't want to start a creatine argument between people lol Just looking for some advice on wether or not to stop taking it. I have been taking it for 4 days and my weight went up 2 lbs. I do weights monday-wednesday-friday and intense cardio tuesday-saturday and p90x yoga thursday. Is it even worth me taking it if thats my workout schedule?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

loading is not required. see ALan Aragon or just search creatine loading. you are not special. 5 g is plenty and if you eat any meat, you really dont even need to supplement. but you will do what you want, so proceed.

I find it amusing that you assume that every person's body is identical in it's needs for...well...anything.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't have any issues with water retention with my Creatine. I have tried many brands in the past and have had the bloat but not with what I'm using now, Con-Cret.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Numerous studies have shown that creatine increases muscular strength, power and lean muscle mass. Also these benefits of creatine are more pronounced in woman. In my personal experience creatine has helped me and is one of the only supplements I use besides protein. I would say keep using it. Your weight gain is most likely water weight and not fat.

*Edit*
    Just wanted to add that the type of creatine I am using is Creapure which is just micronized creatine monohydrate for better absorption
  • rootbag
    Options

I find it amusing that you assume that every person's body is identical in it's needs for...well...anything.

I'd be wary taking any advice off this guy. You can't apply something you've read somewhere once to every situation and to do so is quite ignorant.

On track - OP if you haven't noticed any benefits then you're best off scrapping it! I've always thought of it as a supplement for those who lift heavy weight, as those are the ones most vocal about it's benefits.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    The water is stored in muscle tissue, so it makes you look more muscular, not more fat. I think creatine usage is accounting for 8-10 lbs of my weight right now.

you should drink more water then.........

if you stop taking creatine and lose 10 pounds, something isn't right.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to start a creatine argument between people lol Just looking for some advice on wether or not to stop taking it. I have been taking it for 4 days and my weight went up 2 lbs. I do weights monday-wednesday-friday and intense cardio tuesday-saturday and p90x yoga thursday. Is it even worth me taking it if thats my workout schedule?

drink more water and keep taking it