Gaining muscle while at a calorie deficit

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There have certainly been a lot of myths debunked, but I don't think "mass can't be created out of thin air" is going to be one of them. I don't see how one could possibly add mass to their body without putting more mass into it than it burns off.

Mass, as in overall or of the muscle?

Because just looking at eating at a deficit in general to lose weight. And make this a decent deficit, not extreme. No exercise in the equation.

Your body is using the nutrients you eat for all the required things it needs it for first. Muscle is repaired, rebuilt we know even if not more of it. Hair and skin are grown (well, energy needs of my hair are less anyway). Glucose stores in muscle and liver are refilled. Bunch of other stuff is done, with less being taken in than is really needed.

And at a deficit, the body is using fat stores for remaining energy needs. Perhaps simplified, but even if some surplus at a meal is stored as fat, same basic effect. If decent deficit, fat is used to meet other energy needs.

So skip the deficit, just create the same need for all those nutrients, repairing and building stronger more muscles, and the extra energy that is needed is taken from fat still.

No the over all mass can't go up (outside extra glucose stores with water), but the muscle mass and LBM can go up while the fat mass drops.

So if a 10% deficit to TDEE is perhaps decent and not extreme, and say is 250 calories, how do you figure out how much lifting to do that would require that 250 calories and don't really take a deficit.?
    But now your muscle building is going to use that 250 calories instead of a deficit.
    The extra energy needed is still going to come from fat.
    Mass won't go up (outside water weight), but muscle mass outside of that could go up, right, according to a few studies.

Of course, early in the weight loss journey, perhaps 500 cal deficit is decent, but you only take a 250 deficit and try to figure out how to get the muscle building to get the other 250 cal's.
    And at this fatter stage, enough fat to still supply other energy needs.
    So this would be a case of total mass going down 1/2 lb weekly, and muscle going up ..... ?

So I know I've seen estimates all over the place as to how many calories it takes to build a lb of muscle. I know if converted to glucose that it's about 600 calories worth there, but much more for building.

So what would 250 calories a day, 1750 a week, 7000 a month get you for building muscle?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    There have certainly been a lot of myths debunked, but I don't think "mass can't be created out of thin air" is going to be one of them. I don't see how one could possibly add mass to their body without putting more mass into it than it burns off.

Mass, as in overall or of the muscle?

Because just looking at eating at a deficit in general to lose weight. And make this a decent deficit, not extreme. No exercise in the equation.

Your body is using the nutrients you eat for all the required things it needs it for first. Muscle is repaired, rebuilt we know even if not more of it. Hair and skin are grown (well, energy needs of my hair are less anyway). Glucose stores in muscle and liver are refilled. Bunch of other stuff is done, with less being taken in than is really needed.

And at a deficit, the body is using fat stores for remaining energy needs. Perhaps simplified, but even if some surplus at a meal is stored as fat, same basic effect. If decent deficit, fat is used to meet other energy needs.

So skip the deficit, just create the same need for all those nutrients, repairing and building stronger more muscles, and the extra energy that is needed is taken from fat still.

No the over all mass can't go up (outside extra glucose stores with water), but the muscle mass and LBM can go up while the fat mass drops.

So if a 10% deficit to TDEE is perhaps decent and not extreme, and say is 250 calories, how do you figure out how much lifting to do that would require that 250 calories and don't really take a deficit.?
    But now your muscle building is going to use that 250 calories instead of a deficit.
    Mass won't go up (outside water weight), but muscle mass outside of that could go up, right, according to a few studies.

Of course, early in the weight loss journey, perhaps 500 cal deficit is decent, but you only take a 250 deficit and try to figure out how to get the muscle building to get the other 250 cal's.
    And at this fatter stage, enough fat to still supply other energy needs.
    So this would be a case of total mass going down 1/2 lb weekly, and muscle going up ..... ?

So I know I've seen estimates all over the place as to how many calories it takes to build a lb of muscle. I know if converted to glucose that it's about 600 calories worth there, but much more for building.

So what would 250 calories a day, 1750 a week, 7000 a month get you for building muscle?

I lifted for 7 months eating at maintenance. The first 3 i dropped fat and gained muscle. The last 4 I did neither. I did a proper cut and dropped 25 more lbs. Started a proper bulk and have gained 14 (some fat of course) What has your fat loss and muscle building journey looked like? How many people have you seen who truely built SIGNIFICANT amounts of muscle over a sustained time period while not eating a surplus? What would someone without a lot of fat do in your scenario?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

You can find studies that say whatever you want them to say in the wide world of fitness/nutrition/exercise.

You will be hard pressed to find anybody that has built a significant amount of muscle mass that beleives you can gain anything greater than a trivial amount during a deficit. Almost everyone that argues that it can be done has no idea of what its like to actually gain muscle mass.

I used to believe I was gaining muscle mass during my initial weight loss. After switching to a surplus and actually gaining 15 lbs, I LOL @ myself during my initial cut on this matter.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options

You can find studies that say whatever you want them to say in the wide world of fitness/nutrition/exercise.

You will be hard pressed to find anybody that has built a significant amount of muscle mass that beleives you can gain anything greater than a trivial amount during a deficit. Almost everyone that argues that it can be done has no idea of what its like to actually gain muscle mass.

Well, hence the question.

The above snippet is with NO deficit, eating at maintenance. But compared to eating at deficit 250 cal would have been realistic.

Question is how much muscle could 7000 calories build in a month?
  • heybales
    Options
    I lifted for 7 months eating at maintenance. The first 3 i dropped fat and gained muscle. The last 4 I did neither. I did a proper cut and dropped 25 more lbs. Started a proper bulk and have gained 14 (some fat of course) What has your fat loss and muscle building journey looked like? How many people have you seen who truely built SIGNIFICANT amounts of muscle over a sustained time period while not eating a surplus? What would someone without a lot of fat do in your scenario?

So interesting effect that you and I've heard others comment on.

Any idea of where the bodyfat% was at that stop point, and what the energy needs of the lifting were when it seemed to stop being possible?
    That's what others didn't record at the time, just that there was a change in circumstances.

Also, the suggestion that I or others are always talking significant amounts of muscle in these conversations I think misses the broader audience of those trying to lose weight in the first place on MFP.
    Those still trying to lose 25-50 lbs probably don't have focus on building significant amounts of muscle. But any extra real muscle besides just making it stronger would help the situation of increasing their RMR and weight loss.

Obviously, that conversation is even a level above the typical "been losing 2 lbs weekly and nothing last week despite daily cardio" - and responses of "you probably gained muscle and burned fat, because muscle weighs more than fat".
  • FullOfWin
    Options

So interesting effect that you and I've heard others comment on.

Any idea of where the bodyfat% was at that stop point, and what the energy needs of the lifting were when it seemed to stop being possible?
    That's what others didn't record at the time, just that there was a change in circumstances.

Also, the suggestion that I or others are always talking significant amounts of muscle in these conversations I think misses the broader audience of those trying to lose weight in the first place on MFP.
    Those still trying to lose 25-50 lbs probably don't have focus on building significant amounts of muscle. But any extra real muscle besides just making it stronger would help the situation of increasing their RMR and weight loss.

Obviously, that conversation is even a level above the typical "been losing 2 lbs weekly and nothing last week despite daily cardio" - and responses of "you probably gained muscle and burned fat, because muscle weighs more than fat".

If my math is correct I was around 23% When I stalled. At that time I weighed 188. At the end of cutting I was 166 at ~12% When I started cutting I had actually gone up to 192 by eating a bit more in a lat ditch effort to gain a bit before cutting.

I don't really know what the energy expenditure of lifting was at the time, but it was probably pretty high since I was doing an overly high volume 5 day bro split through the 4 months of no progress.
  • waldo56
    Options

The effects of actual muscle gain on metabolism are absolutely trivial unless you've gained a lot of muscle mass.

Most estimates put the calorie burn of 1 lb of muscle at 4-6 cal/day. Start stacking quite a bit of bulk, 20-30-40 lbs, and this adds up.

To someone who might gain a pound or two while cutting, this is borderline irrelevant.
  • heybales
    Options
    The effects of actual muscle gain on metabolism are absolutely trivial unless you've gained a lot of muscle mass.

Most estimates put the calorie burn of 1 lb of muscle at 4-6 cal/day. Start stacking quite a bit of bulk, 20-30-40 lbs, and this adds up.

To someone who might gain a pound or two while cutting, this is borderline irrelevant.

Well, those are the BMR figures for LBM, so while sleeping and sitting at your desk, very true. Actually, it's calculated to be 10 cal/lb of LBM.

But the half the day of actually using the muscle in the slightest actually means a bigger effect.

There's normally one misquoted stat from a study about how much extra calories muscle burns, but that was only during normal usage, not lifting, but just movement through the day. But it's always misapplied to the idea that it means all day and night.

That is exaggerated.

As you state, probably half the day is resting at minimal increase. But there's still another half of the day where if you have some movement you are likely using it all to some degree.

Shoot, 7% increase in RMR (just resting, not all day increase) is nothing to sneeze at for 3.5 lb increase in LBM, same drop in body fat, and all in 16 weeks. Almost a lb a month. And this is older folks even, who true, probably had far to go. But still.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/76/1/133.short

Just from that example, it would appear they had a net deficit of 109 calories a day used by the lifting, so I don't mean a deficit for weight loss, but if they were eating above maintenance, they would have actually gained weight.
    So instead of a deficit, the lifting appears to have used that much.

So I guess to my question of what could 250 cal a day not taken in deficit but applied to the lifting give ya, looks like someone might obtain almost a couple lbs a month.

Or more close, looks like in these examples, 3.5 lbs gained in 16 weeks is 0.875 a month, which the exchange would appear to mean 3063 cals of fat were burned in 4 wks to provide that 0.875 lb of LBM.

I know, I know, LBM isn't muscle, but they seem to go hand in hand, so at least try to increase the LBM.
    So just thinking 250 instead of the 109 they got would be double the results?
    Or you start hitting the roadblock you described.

And probably like deficit, more to lose bigger is possible, less to lose it's not.
  • waldo56
    Options

Well, those are the BMR figures for LBM, so while sleeping and sitting at your desk, very true. Actually, it's calculated to be 10 cal/lb of LBM.

But the half the day of actually using the muscle in the slightest actually means a bigger effect.

There's normally one misquoted stat from a study about how much extra calories muscle burns, but that was only during normal usage, not lifting, but just movement through the day. But it's always misapplied to the idea that it means all day and night.

That is exaggerated.

As you state, probably half the day is resting at minimal increase. But there's still another half of the day where if you have some movement you are likely using it all to some degree.

Quick show of hands, what do others note it to be that have gained enough to actually notice the difference.

I estimate its about 4-5 cal/day/lb for me.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    How did the guys with the most muscle in the world (natural) do it? Not guaranteed but stands to reason however they did it is the fastest way?

Most of the people with the most muscle mass didn't do it naturally.

Those that are suposedly all natural spent 10 - 15 years plus stuffing themselves with food and training as hard as possible and have the best genetics for this.

The natural way is a long slow process.

So building muscle eating at a surplus is slow in comparison to building muscle eating maintenance or below?

No. Building muscle naturally is slower then when your on drugs.

Yes I know that. The point of my first post was, how did the guys who have built the most muscle naturally do it? By bulking and cutting or by eating maintenance or below with some dietary timing tricks?

Ahhh I see... I would assume bulking and cutting but doesn't mean that it's the most effective way;

What people are realising now through studies etc. may prove a lot of these long held body building beliefs to be less than effective.

6 - 8 meals a day has been debunked a fair few times now and oats every morning is looking to be just as futile.

Not sure you read my first post.... I'm presently eating at a 500 - 1000 cal EXCESS on training days using a carb backloading protocol which is allowing me to gain muscle and lose fat at around 1% a month.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Not sure you read my first post.... I'm presently eating at a 500 - 1000 cal EXCESS on training days using a carb backloading protocol which is allowing me to gain muscle and lose fat at around 1% a month.

For how long? How much actually gained and lost in lbs in that time?
  • nml2011
    Options

For how long? How much actually gained and lost in lbs in that time?

For the past 7 months and my BW has fluctuated between 87 - 91kg and have lost 7% BF via caliper readings.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    And is that faster than if you lost 8lbs\month and then gained 2lbs\month?
  • nml2011
    Options
    And is that faster than if you lost 8lbs\month and then gained 2lbs\month?

I've found this a better solution than cutting and bulking... it's hard to say if it's any faster (possibly over a longer period) but there is more flexibility for eating the things I like, leaning up at the same time and increasing lifts on a weekly basis.
  • SweetT415
    SweetT415 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hey zyntx,

I was curious about your statement that CBL would be hard on your lifestyle. I wasn't being sarcastic. I find it really easy, so I was wondering what would be a boundary for implementation for others.

Thanks,
    JD
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What I've seen for the most part about timing of food does not suggest that there is a significant impact to eating carbs late. And I'm frankly concerned that it is too restrictive (mentally) in my lifestyle so that CBL might only give me small value versus a more normal diet but really screw up the rest of my life/work style.

It is something I am not sufficiently read up on to be sure one way or the other.

Well, keep reading. It works. Nutrient timing works. Insulin manipulation works. How would it be mentally restricting in your lifestyle?

Sorry i missed your first post.
    I will, I'm currently reading up on BMR variability but I'll get to it.

The lifestyle issue is:

1) I prepare a lot of meals for my daughters and both cooking and eating with them is important to me. Complicating that by a different meal plan is not so easy. I'm trying to get them to eat well, eating different things at the table is not were I want to place them/us mentally - there is already too much of that.

2) I'm still figuring out some basics in terms of macros and the effects on me and I want to understand that prior to trying some thing else. My level of effort and time in the gym, my goals (not those of a bodybuilder) more of a multi-sport athlete (think soccer player build) can probably be best served by the focusing on the basics - go to gym 3-4 times, lift heavy, eat at my macros and continue to lose weight -- looking at CBL or other methods will wait until/if I want to bulk up. I am perfectly capable of going into an "analysis/paralysis" loop.
    Hell, I've already tried to estimate an observation vs predictive BMR model using variable moving averages and weight loss=f [(fat loss %), (LBM gain%)].

When I read something like this, it doesn't support doing much more than focusing on protein. But obviously, it is just one article.
    Dietary protein to support muscle hypertrophy.
    van Loon LJ, Gibala MJ.
    SourceDepartment of Human Movement Sciences, NUTRIM School for Nutrition, Toxicology and Metabolism, Maastricht University Medical Centre+, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

Abstract
    Intact protein, protein hydrolysates, and free amino acids are popular ingredients in contemporary sports nutrition, and have been suggested to augment post-exercise recovery. Protein and/or amino acid ingestion stimulates skeletal muscle protein synthesis, inhibits protein breakdown and, as such, stimulates muscle protein accretion following resistance and endurance type exercise. This has been suggested to lead to a greater adaptive response to each successive exercise bout, resulting in more effective muscle reconditioning. Despite limited evidence, some basic guidelines can be defined regarding the preferred type, amount, and timing of dietary protein that should be ingested to maximize post-exercise muscle protein accretion. Whey protein seems most effective in stimulating muscle protein synthesis during acute post-exercise recovery. This is likely attributable to its rapid digestion and absorption kinetics and specific amino acid composition. Ingestion of approximately 20 g protein during and/or immediately after exercise is sufficient to maximize post-exercise muscle protein synthesis rates. Coingestion of a large amount of carbohydrate or free leucine is not warranted to further augment post- exercise muscle protein synthesis when ample protein is already ingested. Future research should focus on the relevance of the acute anabolic response following exercise to optimize the skeletal muscle adaptive response to exercise training.

I will read up.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I'm quoting Brad Pilon here and saying "Dexa or it didnt happen."

Unless you are genetically superior or very fat you probably didnt gain on a deficit.
    Now you can cycle calories and have slight gains in LBM while cutting fat but you probably wont see much actual weight change.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    What I've seen for the most part about timing of food does not suggest that there is a significant impact to eating carbs late. And I'm frankly concerned that it is too restrictive (mentally) in my lifestyle so that CBL might only give me small value versus a more normal diet but really screw up the rest of my life/work style.

It is something I am not sufficiently read up on to be sure one way or the other.

Well, keep reading. It works. Nutrient timing works. Insulin manipulation works. How would it be mentally restricting in your lifestyle?

Sorry i missed your first post.
    I will, I'm currently reading up on BMR variability but I'll get to it.

The lifestyle issue is:

1) I prepare a lot of meals for my daughters and both cooking and eating with them is important to me. Complicating that by a different meal plan is not so easy. I'm trying to get them to eat well, eating different things at the table is not were I want to place them/us mentally - there is already too much of that.

2) I'm still figuring out some basics in terms of macros and the effects on me and I want to understand that prior to trying some thing else. My level of effort and time in the gym, my goals (not those of a bodybuilder) more of a multi-sport athlete (think soccer player build) can probably be best served by the focusing on the basics - go to gym 3-4 times, lift heavy, eat at my macros and continue to lose weight -- looking at CBL or other methods will wait until/if I want to bulk up. I am perfectly capable of going into an "analysis/paralysis" loop.
    Hell, I've already tried to estimate an observation vs predictive BMR model using variable moving averages and weight loss=f [(fat loss %), (LBM gain%)].

When I read something like this, it doesn't support doing much more than focusing on protein. But obviously, it is just one article.
    Dietary protein to support muscle hypertrophy.
    van Loon LJ, Gibala MJ.
    SourceDepartment of Human Movement Sciences, NUTRIM School for Nutrition, Toxicology and Metabolism, Maastricht University Medical Centre+, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

Abstract
    Intact protein, protein hydrolysates, and free amino acids are popular ingredients in contemporary sports nutrition, and have been suggested to augment post-exercise recovery. Protein and/or amino acid ingestion stimulates skeletal muscle protein synthesis, inhibits protein breakdown and, as such, stimulates muscle protein accretion following resistance and endurance type exercise. This has been suggested to lead to a greater adaptive response to each successive exercise bout, resulting in more effective muscle reconditioning. Despite limited evidence, some basic guidelines can be defined regarding the preferred type, amount, and timing of dietary protein that should be ingested to maximize post-exercise muscle protein accretion. Whey protein seems most effective in stimulating muscle protein synthesis during acute post-exercise recovery. This is likely attributable to its rapid digestion and absorption kinetics and specific amino acid composition. Ingestion of approximately 20 g protein during and/or immediately after exercise is sufficient to maximize post-exercise muscle protein synthesis rates. Coingestion of a large amount of carbohydrate or free leucine is not warranted to further augment post- exercise muscle protein synthesis when ample protein is already ingested. Future research should focus on the relevance of the acute anabolic response following exercise to optimize the skeletal muscle adaptive response to exercise training.

I will read up.

Yeah, if you're going for "soccer player," CBL is probably not for you. I admire your vigilance to research so thoroughly. You clearly enjoy it. I'm sure many here would say you're overthinking it, but I say press on and share your findings.