Atkins

Options

Replies

• CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I personally am on a medically supervised low carb diet plan. It does have most characteristics of an Atkins low carb high protien and so on, but more restricted on carbs within fruits, it has been working for me and I am able to use the Atkins bars and shakes to supplement things if I'm in a crunch. 30 days with changing my lifestyle and I have lost 21 lbs, my blood sugar is lower, my blood pressure is lower and my energy is wonderful. I think as with any life change you need to do some research. You are always going to have the people that are positive and negative, but look at the facts first. I researched my heart out for my specific body, insulin resistance and so on, then my doctor agreed. The people here are very helpful and you will have groups supporting every diet known to man, I would just say before you go into something make sure it is right for you. Ask your doctor if you have concerns. Sorry my opinion is so open but to nail it down for you, as with any "diet" or lifestyle change, it takes will power. If you look at people whom have tried things and have gained back its hardly ever the plans fault, in fact Atkins does take you through a maintence phase once you have hit your goal weight.. Emotional and life triggers, will power of the person and so on contribute more than anything. This is your body, what may work for others may not work for you, educate yourself. Some of this has been said but I believe the way it is said matters. Not trying to sugar coat anything but just being less harsh. :)
    You are SPOT ON! AMEN! Absolutely correct!
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    The problem with Atkins is the same problem that all other diets have.

Losing weight is and will always be the easy part. Keeping it off is the hard part.

By the time you reach the results backed groove stage of a diet, when losing is a habit, 3-6 weeks in, your attention should be focused on changing your lifestyle to maintain your loss.

Unlike all the fad diets out there, there are very few plans out there to help you with this. If losing weight is hard, you have already failed.

Post #2 today I have to find your fallacy in.

People can stay on Atkins for life. It's low carb, moderate protein and fat diet. How much better does it get?
    The only problem with Atkins is it claims you can eat as much protein and fat as you want and not gain weight as long as carbs are low. We know that's not true as hypercaloric diets cause weight gain, not carbs. The theory is you'll eat to satisfaction and no more. Atkins isn't a fad diet, it's been around and proven for decades. In fact, most other diet methods today are derived from Atkins. South Beach, paleo, and Ketogenic are similar. I'm in support.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Well to be honest, there is a lot of low carb hate on the MFP forums, so I understand her being on the defensive. I, for one, see it almost every day.

However, do you think your comment helped the general demeanor of this thread? Or do you think it will solve anything?

Look, we're all here for the same reason: to lose weight. Low carb, high carb, low fat, paleo, veganism, whatever works for you is what you should use.

I have tried not to be too dogmatic about things. If you read my original comment, I held out the possibility that in the long run, nothing works. I think we need to be clear what we are talking about and what we are not talking about. I don't do Atkins, but still try to watch my carbs, and usually try to keep it below what MFP says I can have. I try to avoid white bread, though I do eat plenty of fruit, whole grains, and oatmeal, hence my diet isn't low carb by any stretch.

I would love to see the big weight loss numbers my friends who have done Atkins saw, but I won't do it because I don't know a single person who didn't eventually gain all the weight back. I am glad there are people who have figured out a way to maintain on Atkins. More power to them.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Noooo dont do it.. :)
    I lost an incredible amount of weight on this diet, and put it all plus more back on.

The same could be said for calorie counting, couldn't it?
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Well to be honest, there is a lot of low carb hate on the MFP forums, so I understand her being on the defensive. I, for one, see it almost every day.

I'm rather anti-carb for overall health reasons although for general short term weight loss it doesn't matter. Certainly a high-carb diet is just asking for heart disease though.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I hear it just makes your sh** stink...
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself and my results with it. I was on Atkins induction for 3 weeks and lost the majority of the 22 lbs this way. I had the carb flu for 3 weeks the entire time I was eating 20 carbs or less. Mentally and physically I suffered. The cramps were agonizing. I had brain fog that made it hard to finish a sentence. I would wake up so thirsty with a metallic taste in my mouth each morning, it is not a time I want to relive. I was so moody I wanted to kick my hubby to the curb! Angry but not knowing what I was angry at. Depressed beyond words. I never felt energetic or the good mood people claim to have but I did rejoice each day I stepped on the scale. I am grateful for Atkins because it took 3 weeks to kick the sugar addiction I did not know was an addiction until I went 20 carbs or less. I never want to go through the withdrawals of sugar again. I stay low carb but never 20 carbs or less because my body and mind cannot handle that low again. I wish it could.

My goal now is staying under 100 carbs but trying to stay close to 50 carbs a day. I only get the carbs in Veggies or fruits. I eat clean rarely processed foods, no sugar, no white flour, white rice, and gluten free. This works for me and as long as I get my fruit I do not feel deprived. I have so many health issues that make weight loss very hard. I found tracking my carbs along with the calories and reducing sodium is what is working for me.
  • martintanz
    Options
    I lost an incredible amount of weight on this diet, and put it all plus more back on.

Well, yes. However, with gradual weight loss counting calories, the hope is, the dieter has enough time to make the transition to life style changes. While you can lose weight eating fast food burgers, fries, and high sugar snack cakes, in the long run successful dieters will change their long term eating habits and cut out or limit these unhealthy foods, and do other beneficial things like regular exercise.

One of my good friends from college lost and regained about 80 to 100 lbs on Atkins several times. First, one wonders how healthy it is to lose and gain so much weight so quickly. More important, because he relied on a gimick to lose the weight, he never really learned how to maintain his weight eating normally. He told me that his last Atkins diet ended at a diner, when his craving for carbs got the better of him. He ordered a double order of pancakes and didn't stop eating carbs until he gained all his weight back.

Now, I freely admit that I have regained weight I lost the regular way, but the gains, like the losses, are more gradual. It isn't like I flip a switch and went from no carbs to high carbs. That seems to be the issue with Atkins.
  • Lady_Taylor
    Lady_Taylor Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think the Atkins diet is a great way to jump start your weight loss journey. The hard part is trying to maintain on the Atkins diet. Everyone's body is different, so you should find what works for you. I recently started a low carb diet to get some of the baby weight off. My advice is to stay focused and do what works for you. Remember, you can always try something different if you don’t like it.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options

Ooh I didn't read through all the drama that went on before :) so sorry about my comment.

Well I haven't gone off of calorie counting so I don't know if I would put on weight afterwards, obviously if I go back to old habits and stop working out I probably would put weight on, but I have been on weight watchers that was similar (points for calories) and I definitely didn't put on the weight like after the High Protein. For me something that cuts out whole food groups is now no longer an option, there were too many negatives with the High Protein diet... Stinky breath, chest pains, dizzyness, moodiness oh the dreams about sweet fruit! sheesh!
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hear the, "Once you quit, you'll gain it all back!" argument, I giggle. It makes me think, "I lost all this weight after giving up twinkies, but when I started eating them again, I gained it all back!" If something works, and you quit doing what works and therefore stop getting results or get the opposite, why is that a shock? I've never tried Atkins, but the logic out there just kills me.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Yes.

However most people that count calories for a fairly long time begin to develop a working knowledge of the general calorie counts of most foods, have a good idea of what high and low is, and know what foods you really need to practice moderation with. In short, the byproduct of doing it over time is a pretty good education on food and portion control. Obviously a lot of people will be able to convert this knowledge into improved long term habits.

This is no guarantee of keeping it off. One part of keeping it off is that you actually have to care. But improved habits and understanding of food should make it easier.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow. Lots of bad info on Atkins here. I'm going to address one point at the moment. Atkins diet is FULLY sustainable. In fact, it's the only sustainable way of eating that I've ever discovered, and I've tried so many. If I DO go back to eating a bunch of bread and potatoes and sugar. I'll definitely gain my weight back......then again, eating that crap is what made me fat....so, try a little logic. Weight loss is a lifestyle change. No matter what method you use, if you 'quit it' you'll gain your weight back. Atkins is the one way of eating that doesnt make me miserable. Do I miss carby stuff? Yeah...sure....I'd totally love some fries and sandwiches and a snickers bar, but I dont NEED them the way I used to, and I dont crave them anymore. My relationship with food has changed. I cant use food for comfort, and frankly that's the only reason you're gonna be eating that snickers bar. I use food for fuel now...my triglycerides have gone from 228...to 82, on my high fat, moderate protein, low carb 'diet.'
  • Caseyann2501
    Caseyann2501 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Atkins does lose weight but it's not a healthy diet to do so...here's how it works...your body is most efficient when it is burning carbohydrates and blood sugars for energy...Atkins takes those out of the equation and forces your body to burn fat as a primary fuel...now this sounds awesome, but there are real problems with it...can your body burn fat? Absolutely, however it usually burns fat as a supplement for expenditures that exceed the level of sugars and carbs in your body. As a primary fuel it is dangerous, your renal system (primarily your kidneys) along with a few other key organs aren't designed to operate off of fat burn only, studies have shown that it can lead to premature kidney failure...and believe me, dialasys is no fun, and short of a kidney transplant it is permanent. Also there's the concern of cholesterol...protein has it, and a diet that is mostly weighted with protein has more of it than you would consume on a normal diet, so it's not great on your heart either. Be realistic, who in their right mind thinks a sound nutritional guideline is one that says "go ahead and eat that package of bacon...hell...wrap it around hot dogs, and eat those...but don't you dare touch that apple, or any whole grains. In summation if it's working for you then that's great, but I'd be looking for a more balanced sound program that makes more sense, and still works for you.

You're right, there is a big danger in high protein low carb diets, specifically of going into Ketoacidosis, where all the bad things start happening to your kidneys and other health issues happen. However, this can be avoided by people researching and learning everything about the cons and what not to do's of their specific eating plan.

In my opinion, f you want to do a low carb diet it is better to go low carb / high fat, rather than low carb / high protein as this drastically reduces the risk of ketoacidosis. This eating plan is called ketosis (it is very similar to Atkins, it just shifts from protein to fat) This is something our bodies are designed to function in (otherwise the cavemen would have died and we wouldn't be here). This needs to be managed right to ensure low cholesterol and low sodium, but MFP is perfect for monitoring that. Actually, this eating plan has proved to have great benefits young epileptic sufferers and for the diabetic - obviously with very close supervision by a doctor.

Check out this website: http://blog.massivehealth.com/infographics/Carbs_are_killing_you/

This explains what exactly carbs do to our body in a really easy to understand way.

I can't tell anyone what to do or what is right, but for me personally low carb high fat is working. I am losing weight and toning.

I have found that for me personally, the low carb high fat eating plan is reducing my body fat % and preserving muscle mass (all measured by me with cm measurements, weighing and body fat measurements) much better than the low fat diet.

I now weigh less following this way of eating than I did after months of high intensity training and low fat eating (which resulted in me burning out and getting seriously sick for months). I have also increased my muscle mass so that i am stronger than i have ever been in my life.

There are always risks with eating plans like this, but as long as people do the necessary research and know their bodies, then there is no reason not to try different things to find what's right for you.

BTW, If anyone wants to read an actual study done on ketosis (specifically the health aspect and with regards to exercise) see the below link:

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm not on the Atkins diet but I do eat very low carb. I am a type 2 diabetic. I know now that even before becoming diabetic I was carb sensitive. My first low carb diet was South Beach. Phase 1 of South Beach worked great for me. Phase 2 was nice because I could add in more carbs but, guess what, I stopped losing weight and didn't feel as well. Later I was put on a much lower carb diet by my doctor. Again, I felt great but it was way too restrictive overall (not just in carbs) for me. Now I control my low carb diet. I have my macros set so that carbs are only 5% of my calories. Sometimes I go a little over. Sometimes I go a little under. As far as it being sustainable... I have to sustain it. I can either sustain a diet of 5% carb regardless of the amount of calories I eat or I can sustain a lifestyle of medication. I prefer to restrict carbs than live on meds and deal with their side affects the rest of my life.
  • bornfreehooves
    Options
    Please don't compare the Atkins diet to a vegetarian diet. One CAN be healthy, the other, no way.
  • vytamindi
    Options
    Please don't compare the Atkins diet to a vegetarian diet. One is healthy the other is not.

"Health" does not follow a one sized fits all diet plan. Our bodies are not all exactly the same, calories are not equal, and our bodies react differently to different changes.
  • chocolateluvr80
    chocolateluvr80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just be careful. If you notice an ammonia smell or severely bad breath (like something died) go to the doctor immediately.
  • vytamindi
    Options
    Just be careful. If you notice an ammonia smell or severely bad breath (like something died) go to the doctor immediately.

Metallic breath is a side effect of ketosis, not a cause for alarm. It just means to drink more water.

I only have that breath in the morning or on days when I forget my water bottle.

Ketosis is not ketoacidosis.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    First of all, I want to say I am happy you are doing something that works for you and are seeing results.

With that being said, I did Atkins around 8 years ago and ran into a couple of medical issues. I was super strict, never went off the plan, kept it low carb 100% of the time. My diet was also high in fat which was a problem at the time. I had periodic episodes of extremely bad stomach pains, so bad I couldn't speak a full sentence and would have to stop whatever I was doing and sit down because the cramps were unbearable. I had to go to the doctors and the ultrasound tech found that I was developing gallstones due to the amount of high fat foods I was taking in. I stopped the diet immediately.

Now, I did lose 50 pounds doing this, but I gained it all back...and then some. It was awful to have to start all over again. Like I said though, I'm glad you have found something that works for you.