Good in theory, bad in execution

mamacassi
mamacassi Posts: 131
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I don't eat meat so lately I find a lot of different recipes and try. I made...horrible things lately, bad bad stuff. And I had others try too, just some recipes suck. I eat fish though, most fish. So that's a good thing. I am wondering if anyone has any luck on sites? Finding simple recipes that don't include any 'meats'. I'm open to everything. I just hate finding bad recipes!

Replies

• chunkydaze
    chunkydaze Posts: 2 Member
    You could perhaps Buy Simon Hopkinsons latest book "The Vegetarian Option" - Fabulous and full of recipes for vegetarians. Available on Amazon.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    www.eatingwell.com

They have a whole variety of recipes - plenty of fish, shrimp, and also vegetarian (some good sounding salads, etc). I've been getting some recipes off of there and so far all are REALLY tasty. I'm adding them all to the My Eating Well option on the site so I can save them and definitely cook them again.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    101cookbooks.com is great, I have tried lots of recipes from that site and never a bad one yet!
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    these are two of my favorite "vegetarian recipes" - they are both from Rachael Ray - I use them a alot and they are a hit even with my meat eating friends!

Falafel Burgers
    Serves 4
    •2 cans garbanzo beans (15 ounces each), drained and rinsed
    •1 small red onion, chopped
    •2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
    •A large handful of parsley, chopped
    •3-4 tablespoons flour
    •1 tablespoon cumin
    •1 tablespoon coriander
    •1 tablespoon chili powder
    •1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
    •Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    •1/4 cup vegetable oil
    •1/2 cup tahini paste
    •3 tablespoons water
    •Juice and zest of 2 lemons
    •4 sandwich-size whole wheat pita pockets
    •1-1 1/2 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
    •1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, sliced
    •1/4-1/2 cup hot pepperoncini peppers, sliced (depending on how hot you like it)
    •2 vine-ripe tomatoes, sliced
    PreparationPre-heat the oven to 300ºF.

Pat the chickpeas dry with a paper towel and place them into a food processor. Add in the red onion, garlic, parsley, flour, spices and seasonings along with the beans and process until fairly smooth and very thick, so that you can form patties.

Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet with 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Form four large patties and cook for 3 minutes on each side.

While the patties are cooking, get the sauce started by placing the tahini paste into a medium size mixing bowl. Add the water, lemon juice and lemon zest and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set the sauce aside for the falafel burger assembly.

Cut the edge of each pita to form big pockets, then wrap them in foil and place them in the pre-heated oven to get warm, 3 minutes.

Remove the pitas from the oven and sauce each pita with a couple of tablespoons of the tahini sauce. Place some shredded lettuce, sliced cucumber, peppers and tomatoes in each pita, then slide in the falafel burgers and enjoy! Pass the extra tahini sauce at the table.

AND --

Portobello Burgers with Roasted Pepper Paste and Smoked Mozzarella
    Serves 4

For a complete meal, serve with Tomato, Onion and Cucumber Salad
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
    •1/8 cup balsamic vinegar (3 splashes)
    •2 sprigs fresh rosemary (about 2 tablespoons), leaves stripped and chopped

•1 lemon, juiced
    •4 large portobello mushroom caps
    •2 teaspoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning or 1 teaspoon combined coarse salt and pepper
    •1/2 pound fresh smoked mozzarella, sliced
    Roasted Pepper Paste:

•1 jar roasted peppers (14 ounces), drained
    •A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)

•A handful of flat leaf parsley leaves
    •1 large clove garlic, cracked away from skin
    •Salt and pepper
    •4 large crusty rolls, split
    Suggested toppings:

•Whole baby spinach leaves
    •Thinly sliced red onions
    PreparationCombine first four ingredients in the bottom of a large sealable plastic bag. Add mushroom caps, seal bag and shake bag to coat caps, then let the mushrooms marinate for 15 minutes.

Grill mushrooms on an indoor electric grill, starting with caps down, turning to caps up, 6 minutes on each side. You can also pan fry in large nonstick skillet for the same amount of time. As they cook, season caps on each side with grill seasoning or a little salt and pepper. Melt the smoked cheese over mushroom caps in the last minute of grill time.

To make the pepper paste, combine the roasted peppers, EVOO, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in food processor and pulse grind into a thick sauce.

To serve, place the grilled mushroom caps topped with melted cheese on the bun bottoms. Top with spinach and onion. Spread bun tops with roasted pepper paste.
  • mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    AHH the bad recipes are from her!! Her recipes... never are that good for me :/
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=vegan recipes - they have over 1000 recipes submitted. :flowerforyou:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    www.foodgawker.com
    Scroll down to the bottom and click on the vegan, vegetables, rice & grains, fruit, etc. links. Or do a search for vegetarian.
    What I love about this site is that there are photos and then you can click on the photo and it takes you to the person's blog. If you find a vegetarian or vegan food photo that looks good, there is a high likelihood that that blogger is posting only vegetarian recipes, etc.
  • countingdown
    countingdown Posts: 25 Member
    Allrecipies.com has pretty good recipies. You can read others reviews to get an idea. They have literally thousands of recipies and they give the nutritional value also.
This discussion has been closed.