Winter

Options
Hi does anyone got any ideas for exercising in the winter. how would you avoid the christmas sweets.

Replies

• Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was running outside 3x a week and i take a crossfit class in the afternoons, but since its starting to get really cold and the snow should hit soon (i'm in Northern Japan) than I plan to do jillian michaels videos in the am to supplement the running outside. I'm used to waking up at that time now and I certainly don't want to do nothing instead of running. Sweets- all in moderation- I can have a chocolate santa, but maybe a few bites instead of the whole thing. I don't want to deprive myself of anything or I will feel restricted and I will quit. As long as what i am doing is sustainable for my lifestyle and I'm happy than it works. So i say go get some awesome videos and se the alarm early! Good luck to you!!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    that's why the gym is awesome -- doesn't matter what the weather is outside.

and sweets? I'll just eat em. :)
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options

This. I joined the gym during the summer for this very reason. Here in So. Arizona it's REALLY hot during the summer and doing things outside isn't pleasant. I hike during the fall/winter and did the gym most of the summer.
  • Epicmum54
    Options
    Why NOT run outside in the winter?! All major brands make clothes specific to outdoor winter running! Get yourself a pair of spikes (that can be slipped on over your runners) and head outdoors! I'm from Alberta and our winters can be brutal but nothing makes you feel more alive than getting up on a frosty morning (okay, okay, I won't run past -30 - especially if there's a windchill!) and hearing the crunch of snow beneath your feet! I encourage everyone to head outdoors during the cold winter months! And, since we leave for work in the dark, and get home in the dark, it's nice to go fo a lunchtime run outside to get the fresh air and, if you're lucky, some sunshine...does wonders for the mental health!!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    There are so many exercise programs on DVD or youtube. Pick one that looks good to you and do it in your living room.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Winter is coming....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how would you avoid the christmas sweets.

i have an excellent exercise for avoiding sweets. when someone offers you one, turn your head first to the left, then to the right, then to the left and then to the right again....
  • Highlanderlover
    Options
    Well where i live we really don't have a winter. But i do alot of the Dance games, good for when you don't wanna leave the house or go outside.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have only exercised outside once. (other than playing with the kids in the yard) I have done Couch to 5k and currently doing the 30 Day shred while inside my home. Other posts have offered great suggestions as well. I have a laptop, so it's easy for me to use YouTube.

As for the Christmas sweets, I still haven't made it through Halloween, so we'll see. So far, I've been able to limit myself so that I don't go overboard, just with sheer willpower.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Winter is coming....

Win.

Seriously though, enjoy the sweets & treats in moderation. Make them fit into your daily goals. And either exercise outside (I plan on running outside all winter!), get some DVDs to do at home, or join a gym. Don't use bad weather as an excuse to stop working out.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Why not take up snow-shoeing or cross country skiing? I'll be continuing my normal walks/hikes just dressing warmer. This year we're going to be looking at snow shoes for something different but we plan to do quite a bit with our 5 yr old. Playing in the snow is great fun!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I actually really like walking in the cold. The problem is getting myself out the door. A second problem is that it is DARK after dinner, when I walk in the summer.

So I walk at lunchtime.

It gets me out when it's bright (keeping off those mid-winter blues) and helps me appreciate how lovely it is outside all year long.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    snowshoeing! Sweets...I'll eat them hopefully with some restraint. haha
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Gym and exercise videos. There's still plenty of exercises that can be done in the comfort of your own home.

As for the sweets... I'm going to try to load up on so much water and veggies that I won't even want to eat anything else.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    1. If you walk or run and you live in an area with snow/ice, get ice cleats that attach to your shoes.
    http://www.amazon.com/Stabilicers-STABILicers-Lite-Ice-Cleats/dp/B000GUEAWI
    I run with ice cleats and have never slipped or fell.

2. Dress appropriately. Don't go out if it's too cold (hello frost bite!).

3. Don't stop just because it's winter. If you must invest in at home videos that you can do in the safety and warmth of the house but don't let winter be your excuse to 'take a break'. Where I live winter is longer then summer, a winter 'break' can end up being 3/4 of the year!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Why NOT run outside in the winter?! All major brands make clothes specific to outdoor winter running! Get yourself a pair of spikes (that can be slipped on over your runners) and head outdoors! I'm from Alberta and our winters can be brutal but nothing makes you feel more alive than getting up on a frosty morning (okay, okay, I won't run past -30 - especially if there's a windchill!) and hearing the crunch of snow beneath your feet! I encourage everyone to head outdoors during the cold winter months! And, since we leave for work in the dark, and get home in the dark, it's nice to go fo a lunchtime run outside to get the fresh air and, if you're lucky, some sunshine...does wonders for the mental health!!

LOVE your enthusiasm! Seriously. I would Love to be able to do just this. Unfortunately I don't tolerate cold well and breathing in cold air is really hard and induces an asthma attack :( I do envy you though. (don't ever tell I admitted this) but I will occasionally itch fr a good snow to have an excuse to shovel. I'm in Chicago and winters have been really weird the past few years. I am not a fan of snow but shoveling I enjoy. I am hoping to be able to overcome the cold thing if I can get running well enough to keep a good pace where stopping to get cold wouldn't be an issue....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The only thing I dislike about working out outside during winter is wearing my winter gear. I don't have work out clothes to layer, so it's the bulky coat, Thinsulate hat and mittens, and scarf. I'm always drenched with sweat.
  • boynan
    boynan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I take my dog and go snowshoeing! I love it! But if that's not your thing, and you don't have snowshoes or want to do that, then I suggest the Wii Fit as a starting point....OMG!! I'm hooked!! I didn't think I'd like it, I am not into dvd's or video games etc....but this is really fun and you can work up to different levels.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym at my work Mon-Fri so I'm covered there but weekends were up in the air until I discovered one of our local gyms offered a punch pass. For $25 or $30 bucks, I get 7 visits, classes included. If it's decent enough out, I'll go ahead and walk/run in the cold. If it's storming out, I'll burn calories shoveling snow and/or doing an exercise video at home. If it's somewhere in between, I'll drive to the gym.

Kudos to those of you who are brave enough to run on snowy sidwalks but I'll pass. Fractured my knee and severely sprained my Achilles 6 years ago slipping on ice/snow and am not willing to risk re-injury!

There are a lot of things you can do for cheap/free at home. Check out body weight exercises, free videos online (youtube, etc) or even videos at your local library. If you have Netflix, they have exercise videos you can rent. If you're willing to spend $10, check out the selection at Target or WalMart - plenty of videos around that price.

P.S. As far as the Christmas sweets go, I pick my battles. If Mom makes her famous sugar cookies, I'm definitely having some of them. If there's apple pie, I'll pass because it's not my favorite. I'd rather use my calories on something worthwhile. Don't just eat them because they're there but do feel free to take a taste of those treats you only get once a year. The next day, bring your leftovers to work or to the neighbors or whatever so they're not sitting around tempting you. Oh and don't make so much just because that's what you've always done. My crazy Mom still feels the need to make 3 pies and 2 or more batches of cookies even though there's only 3 of us there. There's just no need for it! Make 1 pie and 1 batch of cookies so we can all have a taste or two and call it good!
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options

this :)