Any steel cut oats lovers? I'm a convert!

Options
DJ2120
DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
I have had steel cut oats a few times & enjoyed them, but I don't make it often simply because it takes 30 mins verses regular oatmeal which takes 7-10 mins. But, I had some extra time this morning & made steel cut instead & my gosh I feel soooooo much fuller than when I eat my regular oatmeal! Is it supposed to more filling? The texture is addicting as well! I don't think I will be going back to my regular oatmeal. I'll just make it the night before so that it doesn't take up so much time in the morning.

Replies

• lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Me! MUCH prefer it to regular. I make 4 servings t a time, at night - cook for about 2-4 minutes, cover, turn off heat, and it's ready in the morning.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The only time I made it it was gummy and chewy so I cant say Im a fan... I like Rogers porridge oats with flax meself :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I make 5 servings on Sunday night and divide it into plastic containers so I can just pop one in the microwave in the morning. It keeps just fine for the week.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    LOVE steel cut oats!! I like to mix in fresh fruit with mine. Haven't had it in awhile but now you got me thinking about it. I'll have to make some tomorrow for breakfast. Our kids even like it.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Want to try them. Haven't done it yet because I can't quite justify double the price for half the food where I live. I''ll try another store. But I go through about a tub a week now of the old fashioned.
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love them too! I prefer Bob's Red MIll Steel Cut oats, but I normally eat McCann's Instant (ish) Steel Cut Oats due to the convenience. I also love the texture as well, i am not a big fan of mushy oatmeal.
  • katbean12
    katbean12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    O Yes, Steel Cuts Oats are much better to eat than regular oatmeal as oatmeals is more processed than steel cut oats are.
    I would also make a large portion and divide for the week. Add some ground cinnamon for a punchy flavour and ground flax just to speed up digestion.
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a convert!! Try cooking them in a crockpot for several hours. I typically do 4 cups of water to 1 cup of oats and let it cook for about 4 hrs on low. I then put one cup servings into mason jars and store them in the fridge. In the morning, I take a jar out and heat up at work. If you do it in a crockpot, spray the pan so it doesn't stick and make sure you stir every so often.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Anybody want my carton of steel cut oats? I tried them and just couldn't get over the chewyness of the oats.
  • vdwilliam1
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats are the greatest! I just soak mines in Almondmilk (Vanilla, Non Sweet) overnight in a container and cook in the morning when I get up. Its takes like 10mins when I do it like that, add cinnamon and I am all set for the morning!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love steel cuts oats, make them in the slow cooker (overnight) house smells GREAT too:

Slow Cooker Breakfast

I add either three apples or a can (10.75 oz) of pumpkin puree to a double batch, sometimes I add or substitute honey (for the brown sugar). This also freezes well!! (sometime I substitute milk for the water or do a 50/50 mix). Also any dried fruit you like make it a little different (cranberries, blueberries or cherries).

Ingredients

1 cup steel cut oats
    3 1/2 cups water
    1 cup peeled and chopped apple
    1/2 cup raisins
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Place the steel cut oats, water, apple, raisins, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla extract into a slow cooker, and stir to combine and dissolve the sugar. Cover the cooker, set to Low, and allow to cook 6 to 7 hours (for firm oats) or 8 hours (for softer texture).
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I am definitely a convert!! Try cooking them in a crockpot for several hours. I typically do 4 cups of water to 1 cup of oats and let it cook for about 4 hrs on low. I then put one cup servings into mason jars and store them in the fridge. In the morning, I take a jar out and heat up at work. If you do it in a crockpot, spray the pan so it doesn't stick and make sure you stir every so often.

I wish I had a crockpot :sad:
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It's all I eat - no plain ol' oatmeal for me anymore! Trader Joe's has a great "quick" cook that I just pop in the microwave in the a.m. before heading to work - 5 minutes TOPS! I add 1 Tbsp. of almond butter, a tiny box of raisins, a packet of Truvia & a sprinkling of cinnamon - SUPER easy and extremely tasty! An alternative mix-in I use too is 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin in lieu of the almond butter. Keeps me full all morning long!
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I make 5 servings on Sunday night and divide it into plastic containers so I can just pop one in the microwave in the morning. It keeps just fine for the week.

I have never cooked that amount in advance because I didn't know how well it would keep, but I'll try that! Thanks for the tip!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love steel cuts oats, make them in the slow cooker (overnight) house smells GREAT too:

Slow Cooker Breakfast

I add either three apples or a can (10.75 oz) of pumpkin puree to a double batch, sometimes I add or substitute honey (for the brown sugar). This also freezes well!! (sometime I substitute milk for the water or do a 50/50 mix). Also any dried fruit you like make it a little different (cranberries, blueberries or cherries).

Ingredients

1 cup steel cut oats
    3 1/2 cups water
    1 cup peeled and chopped apple
    1/2 cup raisins
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Place the steel cut oats, water, apple, raisins, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla extract into a slow cooker, and stir to combine and dissolve the sugar. Cover the cooker, set to Low, and allow to cook 6 to 7 hours (for firm oats) or 8 hours (for softer texture).

This sounds sooooo yummy! Thanks for posting!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    LOVE steel cut oatmeal! LOL
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats. I don't eat them right now because they raise my blood glucose. Someday I will be able to add them back in. An easy way to cook them besides the crock pot method is to start them in a pot on the stove at night. 1 part oats to 4 parts water, salt and a pat a butter. Bring them to a boil. Turn off the heat. Cover and let them sit all night. The next morning they are perfect. Heat up the amount you want to eat in the microwave and store the rest in the refrigerator. Cooked steal cut oats will keep well for a week in the refrigerator. I usually add flax to the oats when I cook them. They never turn into wall paper paste.
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love them too! I prefer Bob's Red MIll Steel Cut oats, but I normally eat McCann's Instant (ish) Steel Cut Oats due to the convenience. I also love the texture as well, i am not a big fan of mushy oatmeal.

Both of these brands are great! I prefer McCanns as well but the one I get isn't instant. Even my 7 year old would rather eat the steel cut oats than the rolled oats.
  • Shespretty
    Shespretty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hate mushy oatmeal too. I prefer steel cut. The texture is much better. :)
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    it's good eats