Disproportionate body parts?

Options
I mostly run for my exercise, but I also do workout DVDs when the weather is disagreeable.

I looked in the mirror yesterday and was shocked to see how disproportionate my legs were to the rest of my body. They're so tiny! I'm definitely an apple shape, so all of my excess fat sits in my belly. My arms are also kinda noodle-y. Anyone else have this problem? I know that for most people, the excess fat in the belly is last to come off, so I'm not worried. I just find it kind of funny how I look like a poorly drawn cartoon character. :P

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I must be tired. All I could think about was making a sexual innuendo joke after I read the title.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Do some weight-bearing exercise and/or start incorporating some weight lifting. My weight-lifting buddy has a similar problem... he's naturaly skinny (jerk) and lifts, a lot. He has this giant chest and shoulders, while his legs are the size of my forearm. The good news is, as we lift more/run more, it all comes into proportion.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    weight lifting

/thread
  • toberdawg
    Options
    Condisider yourself lucky. At least you are able to change your "disproportionateness". I have very long arms and legs and no torso, not a thing I can do about it! :( I kind of look like a long legged monkey . . .
  • fofipps
    fofipps Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've always thought I am shaped funny. I'm pretty tall, huge feet and hands, tiny wrists, ankles, and waist, and broad shoulders and hips. I feel like I was put together with leftover parts. But I can't change a whole lot about it, though, so I just go with it.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Yep, I look like an apple with cocktail sticks stuck in it.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    you basically described my body :) just learn how to live with it. my legs are long and thin, my butt is kinda big, and my waist is too wide. my boobs are small and my shoulders are wide as well. don't get me wrong, i learned how to love my body, but i have to keep myself thin in order to look good.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm apple shaped too. I have skinny legs & a gut with love handles (but nobody is loving them) hahahaha : )

weight lifting is helping me.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My most disproportional part is bigger than it should be (according to published averages), but I don't mind it at all, and neither does the girlfriend :bigsmile:
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    my mom is the same, she gains weight on her tummy but has thin legs
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I wish my legs got thinner first. My weight tends to come off my thighs last, so I will have a tiny waist and hips that can't hold pants up, but they will just barely fit my thighs.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    you basically described my body :) just learn how to live with it. my legs are long and thin, my butt is kinda big, and my waist is too wide. my boobs are small and my shoulders are wide as well. don't get me wrong, i learned how to love my body, but i have to keep myself thin in order to look good.

Either that profile pic isn't you or you've got a bad case of body dysmorphic disorder.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My most disproportional part is bigger than it should be (according to published averages), but I don't mind it at all, and neither does the girlfriend :bigsmile:

Only 10 responses before some guy went "there." I thought it wouldn't take THAT long.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I can't wear a dress without having a cardigan or jacket over it because I have enormous hips which stick out. If I am wearing jeans they can get covered however dresses are completely unflattering on me. I had big thighs as well but these don't seem as bad. I got a amazing dress for my work xmas party but when I tried it on in my home mirror, I realised that my hips were making themselves known. I just want to feel feminine in pretty dresses.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have a disproportionally massive neck, which makes buying shirts a massive PITA. I'm only about a 36-38" chest and generally buy size small t-shirts, but with shirts I need something to fit my 17.5" neck, which usually defaults to a shirt with a 48" chest and hangs off me like a tent. Basically if I want a shirt I can wear a tie with (ie do up the top button) I have to have it tailored as nothing else fits!
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    other than being bigger through the middle Im fairly proportionate - but I do know what you mean as a friend of mine seems to be built the way you say you are - like I told her - give it time - as you continue on this journey the weight seems to sort of re-distribute around as it fights to come off. But if you think the proportions are way off maybe cut down a bit on the running and add some core work in instead - I know you cant spot reduce but it'll still help and with your running too!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    So far, I'm still pretty fatty everywhere but my face and neck. My face and neck, according to others, is becoming tiny... and I kinda see it. But... everything else is still too fat. I'm not looking forward to the awkward phase, though, where everything is out of proportion.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I the perfect athletic body. Strong legs with proportional thighs and calves. Awesome shoulders and biceps. My back is RIDICULOUS.....however I have the weirdest shape GUT of all time, which is why most of my wardrobe consists of baby-doll tops :-((( In a perfect world I'd shift my gut fat to my tiny butt. :-) lol
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have very fat arms. The fat on my upper arms hangs down (I call them my "bye-bye arms", when I wave goodbye, they do too...) when I lift my arms up and it also hangs over my elbows when my arms are down. The thing about it that ticks me off the most is that I know many girls who are much larger than I am that don't have that issue. It makes buying tops a pain, since often the larger sizes have the same size sleeves. And forget about sleeveless!!! Even when I lose, the loose skin is there, so I'll probably have it until/unless I have it surgically removed.

I also have a tiny head and face. I don't think it'll look too bad when I'm thin, but I looked like a pinhead when I was fat! Fat everywhere, with a tiny head. Ugg.
  • chocolateluvr80
    chocolateluvr80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I once had a friend say that I looked like an egg on stilts (probably because most of my weight is at the belly/hips and I have smaller legs and arms (or as one friend said, "skinny fat girl arms").