Distance on Elliptical

Options
I got a used elliptical from a friend so I don't have the manual. I feel like I should be able to figure out how "far" I have gone, but I looked at the distance on the machine at one point last night and it said 1098??? Here is my dense moment, 1098 what? 1098 feet, meters, strides? It tells me calories burned, heart rate, I can change the level of resistance, everything is in english, why wouldn't it tell me in miles?? Does anyone else have their machine give similar numbers and can tell me what is means?

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    It means how many times you would have climbed your own height, up an endless hole. Your ultimate challenge it to get out of the hole - but the catch it - the hole never ends. You will endlessly be climbing up this hole, trying to get out.

Oh, and there are worms.
  • NickLavato
    Options
    Guessing thats 1.098 miles. When I use ours for a half hour, moderate to fast pace its about 1.500 miles.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I can't be of any help but what brand is it? Have you searched online to see if you can find a manual on their website?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Revolutions of the wheel. What you need to know now is what the distance is of that revolution. I have a NordictTrack with an 18" stride and this is the formula I was told to use.

To determine the distance traveled on your elliptical divide the length of the stride by 63, 360, the amount of inches in a mile and that will give you the amount of revolutions need to travel a mile.

I am no math genius to I have no idea and just gave up and decided to go by time or calorie burn.

Edit: ask someone in the office to help me. So with my 18" stride on the machine I divide 63,360(inches per mile) by 18 to get 3520 but since a full revolution is then 36" you divide 3520 by 2 and get 1760 which would be how many revolutions I'd need to go one mile. Not sure why you couldn't have divided by 36 to start with.....

Anyway, my brain hurts now but if you know the stride length of your machine you should be able to figure it out from there.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info, that definately helps. I think my brain hurts a little after the math problem, but I will look online for the brand and see what I can come up with. The distance doesn't "really" matter, I just wanted to know how much "ground" I am covering. I saw some groups that challenge users to get to a certain distance, I think I might join one for November. I think the heart rate and calories burned are pretty accurate so I will continue to log my time based on that.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info, that definately helps. I think my brain hurts a little after the math problem, but I will look online for the brand and see what I can come up with. The distance doesn't "really" matter, I just wanted to know how much "ground" I am covering. I saw some groups that challenge users to get to a certain distance, I think I might join one for November. I think the heart rate and calories burned are pretty accurate so I will continue to log my time based on that.

I've found that on my elliptical the heart rate is accurate the the calories are way off. It says my calories burned for a 30 minute HIIT session are 790. My HRM says 390-400. Quite a big difference there.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Just my experience from using ellipticals... I found out that my actual calories burn was about 1/2 what an elliptical says. I would adjust your calorie burn when you log to compensate for the difference.
  • susi_q_xx
    susi_q_xx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just my experience from using ellipticals... I found out that my actual calories burn was about 1/2 what an elliptical says. I would adjust your calorie burn when you log to compensate for the difference.

Really?? I bought a HRM & my calories over 40 minutes are about 200 more than what the machine says!
  • Bronxboogie
    Bronxboogie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    this sounds pretty accurate.. and makes more sense..
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My elliptical only gives me about 300 calories burned at a pretty fast pace for 25 minutes. According to my heart rate monitor and my size it is pretty close.