Mike’s Daily Rant 10/24/2012 Topic: The Long Walk Home

Options
I have a neighbor that I love to hang around and talk to. We sometimes talk for hours any given weekend and don’t even realize how long the conversation has lasted. Last night I walked over to his house and we started another filibuster. We needed another person’s view on the topic. (Politics) He says “I know! We can go ask Basil. (Basil is a neighbor of ours that lives a few houses down.) He gives fair opinions.” I agree to it. So we walk outside and he grabs his keys. I’m thinking that he’s getting ready to lock the door.

He hops in his truck and cranks it. I’m confused now. I ask, “Didn’t you say we’re going to Basil’s house?” He says “yeah! Hop in.” I look down the street, while pointing, and say “but his house is right there!” This walk will only take us 5 minutes, save gas, reduce air pollution and we will be able to get the heart rate up just a tad. He does not see it my way. So I have to prove a point now. He asks me to get in the truck again and I just start sprinting to Basil’s house. I get there in 35 seconds. He hops out of the truck and yells down the street, “So!!!” Then I sprint back and say “see if we walk it should only take us 3 minutes.” He looks at me and shakes his head. He turns the truck off and starts walking with me. We make it to Basil’s house and he is a little out of breath but he says that it was nice.

My neighbor appears to be in good health. He is not obese but has a few extra pounds. He is just a little out of shape but I think this small walk opened his eyes to it. His wife runs or jogs with me from time to time and he makes jokes like, “If you run away with Mike, don’t think about coming back.” So on our walk back to his house he tells me that this 3 minute walk really shed light on how little he gets out and moves. He said that he has made a commitment to walking around our subdivision for 25 to 30 minutes daily. I praised him and told him that I’m proud of him.

My neighbor is not the only person that I know who drives short distances that can easily be walked. Small activity adds up during the day, such as taking the stairs versus the elevator. Another small activity that helps with activity is taking the parking spot in the back versus the one in the front.

So the short walk to our neighbor’s house turned into the long walk home because so much happened on the way there.

MikeMontana1914

Replies

• Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just love reading you daily rants Mike. Please keep it going. Thanks
  • ariesmom07
    ariesmom07 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome that you could help inspire someone else! Your ticker says you've lost 200 lbs that is impressive!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    not a rant really :)
    great job on motivating your neighbor.
    I get that kind of attitude when I take stairs at the office, sure it's 8 floors, but not so difficult on the way down.
    and elevator takes FOREVER
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Thats awesome that you could help inspire someone else! Your ticker says you've lost 200 lbs that is impressive!

Thank You. It is a little off. LOL I lost 201.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    not a rant really :)
    great job on motivating your neighbor.
    I get that kind of attitude when I take stairs at the office, sure it's 8 floors, but not so difficult on the way down.
    and elevator takes FOREVER

Very True. My Rant was the fact that he refused at first to walk when its such a short distance.
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Nice, inspiring, and a good read. Yet another well written daily rant. Thanks for sharing!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    That's awesome dude. One good deed will turn into millions, keep it up!
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    That's so awesome :)
  • slshaw23
    slshaw23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Making a difference! Wonderful
  • SGRHO23
    SGRHO23 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Very nice!!!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    lol, I love these!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    good job on NOT taking the lazy way out.

I always drive to my neighbor's house. My NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR.... lol... I can barely see her house from mine, it's a walk through the woods, AND I live in bear and coyote country... i don't mind walking there during daylight, but having gotten stuck walking home in the dark... I never want to do that again. :)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Good Karma day today.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Good Karma day today.

Yep I suppose.
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Very cool, mike! :)
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Very cool, mike! :)

Thx!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    That was awesome!!! Good for you for opening up his eyes!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I'm happy you opened your neighbor' eyes!! That's what friends are for!
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    That was awesome!!! Good for you for opening up his eyes!

Ultimately I think he had to open his eyes. I was glad to be there when he did though.
  • teamgoodnews
    teamgoodnews Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Love that you inspired your friend, and really love that you talk to your neighbors, and while you're talking with neighbors think of other neighbors you want to talk to. You've inspired me to be more social.