logging whole foods takes FOREVER.

Options

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The only issue I have is with the recipe feature. If I want to change the amount of an ingredient, I have to look up the item all over again. It would be nice to edit the amounts within the recipe builder.
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think it can be annoying because when I cook I put A MILLION THINGS IN IT. like i sneak quinoa and grounded flaxseed in everything. sofiguring out how much of everythingis in my two cups of soup can be obnoxious but you get used to it. and its easier when you start eating the same things
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue with it; the more you log them the more it starts to speed up.

agreed...and if you eat the same things just look in your recent foods
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    No complaints here.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Once you start using the same ones over, they appear in your "recent" foods making it even easier. I eat hardly any packaged foods and logging daily takes me no longer than a minute or two.
    Yep I just look through my frequently used foods list.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Difficult compared to what? This is a lot easier than keeping a log book and adding everything up manually. I don't have a smart phone, so I don't have the option of bar-code scanning. But really - that wouldn't make much difference, as a lot of the stuff I eat wouldn't have a bar code.

If you eat the same whole foods in a meal frequently, you can save that list under 'my meals'. That way, the next time you have it, the list is already populated.
  • nyrjasmine
    Options
    I agree to some extent. I learned that if you just type "raw" for anything fresh, it pops up. Ex. raw strawberries, raw celery, etc. That is the only thing that works for me w/o making me want to throw my phone across the room :smile:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yeah it takes me quite a while - my meals vary a lot and are mostly cooked from scratch. All part of the process...
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    What I find annoying is that, sometimes I'll enter a food (say, brocolli) and it pulls up 2-3 entries for brocolli. none of which are consistent in their numbers, plus another 60 or so recipes with brocolli in them.

Tip on this one - always put the word "raw" in with your vegetables (so "broccoli raw" not "broccoli") and look for the entry without the *, that'll be the one from the USDA database.

And yes, really you should be weighing your food if you want to be accurate, but the "official" entry usually has both 100g and a variety of volume measures.
  • yannuzzi
    Options
    My food diary is calories/carbs/fat/protein/fiber and sodium. Check your settings. I count calories/carbs and protein!!! Mine does great and you can google nutrition for most anything and come close, then just pick one closest to your estimate on MFP. I have no probs. I put my whole day in over my first cup of coffee in the AM, maybe a 5 minute ordeal. Happy Wednesday!!
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do. I eat a lot of fresh fruit everyday and I don't eat out much so I make just about everything I eat at home. Logging this sometimes feels like a chore to me too:ohwell:
  • danimal5867
    Options
    Make sure that you take advantage of the recipe option. My wife and I have favorite dishes that she prepares regularly. Once I've created the recipe, adding it to my diary is quick and simple.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Once you start using the same ones over, they appear in your "recent" foods making it even easier. I eat hardly any packaged foods and logging daily takes me no longer than a minute or two.

This!

Maybe at first they take a while to enter but after a month they are already in there and just have to find them. Of Course if you are some sort of super exotic Chef who travels the world and cook different types of foods every week then that is a different story.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The only issue I have is with the recipe feature. If I want to change the amount of an ingredient, I have to look up the item all over again. It would be nice to edit the amounts within the recipe builder.

Agreed. I prefer the "My Meals" section for that reason.

I've calculated and entered a lot of my own recipe as food, using my username as the "brand", too. Not everyone's homemade lasagna has the same things in it.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Like everything else, it takes a bit of time when you first start and are learning how it all works. Then you get it all set up, find your groove, and it becomes second nature. Stick with it.
    Are you just on the computer or are you using an app on your phone? I find it much quicker to add things from my iphone. Just a few clicks, and I'm done.
  • momof3kiddos34
    Options
    I actually diid find it annoying, but now, since I eat mostly the same things, I just spent some time making my recipes. That has made all the difference in the world!!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It can be laborious at first, but start saving your commonly created confections as 'meals' or entering recipes will save a good deal of time down the road. The nice thing about meals is it still has everything listed out individually, so if you happen to put a little extra mayo on your sandwich, you can modify it.
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes, this. That annoys me a lot. Plus I would like to bring an item out of the recipe and use it somewhere else, like another recipe. Otherwise the logging is mostly quick once you've done it awhile and have most of your foods in already. I suppose the more accurate you wish to be the longer the initial logging would take, but if you are weighing and measuring your own foods, most of them will be reused for the next time, and you can just put together the combinations you want.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Logging foods takes all of 5 minutes every day. Honestly, it's worth 5 minutes a day to not be fat.
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe function a lot! Then I save my recipes just for myself and can click and add serving amounts/sizes quickly. Also my recent foods function helps me, because I can just click, change the portion size if needed and add.