failing

Options
So this week has been a down hill major. I dont know if the end of school has triggered my panic attacks, but suddenly I have very little control emotionally and it is making me eat with no boundries. I have gained back the five pounds I've lost making my attitude even worse. How is it that something so silly, like food, controls your entire life? Is there some secret to just letting go or some way to gain more self control? I'm sick of failing, but I can sense failure knocking once again.

Replies

• amandadanda
    amandadanda Posts: 15
    Options
    So this week has been a down hill major. I dont know if the end of school has triggered my panic attacks, but suddenly I have very little control emotionally and it is making me eat with no boundries. I have gained back the five pounds I've lost making my attitude even worse. How is it that something so silly, like food, controls your entire life? Is there some secret to just letting go or some way to gain more self control? I'm sick of failing, but I can sense failure knocking once again.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I think food is such a difficult addiction!!!! its not like you can just STOP eating cold turkey... we have to eat...
    I dont know what all the answers are all i know is you have to take it day by day and do the best you can.

jackie
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Eating poorly and being overweight increases your risk of diabetes, osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, Alzheimer's, cancer and many other maladies.

Extract from - http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tips.php

How Did I Get Here?

Do you simply need help learning how to eat better? Probably. But if you eat poorly as a result of emotional, mental, or spiritual problems, they may have to be addressed before you can make any real progress with weight loss.

Even people who don't feel they have an eating disorder often turn to food for comfort. To learn to eat well and exercise regularly, you may also have to learn to handle the problems life throws at you without turning away from healthy eating and exercise.

Be particularly careful about all-or-nothing thinking. A common tendency when failing to stay on a diet is to abandon it altogether. Instead, speak to someone about it.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_disorder.php

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • pamschwab3
    pamschwab3 Posts: 12
    Options
    I notice when school ends that I always want to eat! I think a huge part of that is getting out of your normal routine. It might help to start a new routine. Eat at the same times everyday with similar foods and maybe you can train your body to follow that routine. I think a lot of it is habit and getting used to when to eat.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I think food is such a difficult addiction!!!! its not like you can just STOP eating cold turkey... we have to eat...
    I dont know what all the answers are all i know is you have to take it day by day and do the best you can.

jackie

Jackie - You make SUCH a great point... we face food 3x daily, so you are right, i'ts not an addiction we can "give up". :smile:

Amanda - I bet some of that 5lb "gain back" is water and bloat from poor food choices. Can you give yourself a day to kind of "clean out" - lots of fruit, veg, water, and green/herbal teas, sort of flush yourself out, and start anew? Weight loss, like life, it a continuum, so now you will get back to moving in the right direction! You are so close! You can do it!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ekirton
    ekirton Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda

I think everyone here has had that same feeling. But remember it's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up.

Just try to start again tomorrow morning. Get up - eat something good and do some exercise (go for a walk even) and then see how you feel. Feeling better about yourself might be the start to getting back on track and I think you'll see some of a couple of those pounds disappear pretty quick.

Even though I am a long way towards my target I still think about food almost constantly - in many ways it's like any other addiction. You need to find other things to distract you - I find when I am sitting around that I eat more than when I am busy and out and about.

Everyone of us has had setbacks - heck I am about 18 pounds heavier than I was 2 years ago when I got married - but this gives me a goal to achieve.

Keep going because I think you can do it.