Most Effective Cardio Exercises

Options
Soooooo... personally I find running to be the most effective cardio exercise for weight loss...

HOWEVER - due to a bad knee I now do a lot of circuit training which I find to be nearly as good -

What's yours? :wink:

xxx

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Spinning for me - doesn't hurt my knees and you can make it very intensive. I can get up to 800 calories an hour.
    Apart from the quad strength you get from normal cycling the standing elements of Spinning also seem to help my knee stabilty.

(FYI - I've lost the PCL and also lateral cartilege so have instability in two directions.)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Spinning, rowing, stairclimber and eliptical.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Running by far the best for me.

Spinning and cross trainer after that.

Doing a lot of circuits in tabata form lately, really good results from it
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Insanity program for me.
    Works all your body and I've burn more with Insanity than I ever did with anything else.
    I do martial arts,running,lots of sports etc and still beats them if we go with "amount of time toward burned calories".

But ... We're all different. Something can be better for my system and something else for you.
    The most effective cardio workout...Depends on you! What's better for you :)
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Running by far the best for me.

Spinning and cross trainer after that.

Doing a lot of circuits in tabata form lately, really good results from it

What kind of circuits have you been doing?
  • thebigcb
    Options
    ^ ^ ^

I do circuits by at home on my own( i have no firends :sad: )

So I do SKIPPING, JUMP JACKS, LUNGES, BURPEES, PUSH UPS, SIT UPS, SQUATS, DIPS, BACK EXTENSIONS, PLANK, LEG RAISERS, BRIDGES. 12 in total

I do each exercise for 4 minutes in total. Those 4 minutes are divided into 20second work, 10seconds rest, repeated 8 times.

So say for burpees, I do 5 or 6 in twenty seconds, stop for ten seconds, do another 5 or 6, stop for 10 seconds, etc

You get me?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts

Australian Shepherd

Agility Ladder

Calisthenics

Jump Rope

That's what my workouts consist of
  • missamielou
    Options
    I love Tabata circuits!! :D

May try copying your exercises and doing some at home as well as at the gym!

We could be Tabata buddies and set up a new routine with different exercises each week :happy:
  • thebigcb
    Options
    I think its great to do at home etc, as you can push yourself hard without someone screaming at you

Going to start introducing weights into mine and maybe some more active stuff, high knees or mount climbers etc.

I don;t know why it is not more popular
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Plyometrics with P90X
    Running
    Tabata with Jumping rope, jacks, dips, etc
    Zumba
    Kickboxing
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yep circuit training here too.

It used to be spinning but my hip doesn't like it very much.

Running is effective but I get a bit bored so only run once a week now but do 3-4 circuit.
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I like this...might try this routine.
    ^ ^ ^

So I do SKIPPING, JUMP JACKS, LUNGES, BURPEES, PUSH UPS, SIT UPS, SQUATS, DIPS, BACK EXTENSIONS, PLANK, LEG RAISERS, BRIDGES. 12 in total

I do each exercise for 4 minutes in total. Those 4 minutes are divided into 20second work, 10seconds rest, repeated 8 times.

So say for burpees, I do 5 or 6 in twenty seconds, stop for ten seconds, do another 5 or 6, stop for 10 seconds, etc

You get me?
  • Kelleybelley69
    Kelleybelley69 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Definetly....
    ZUMBA
    BOOTY CLASS
    PLIOXING
    They are fun and you sweat and smile all at the same time, what more could you ask for :)
  • missamielou
    Options
    Definetly....
    ZUMBA
    BOOTY CLASS
    PLIOXING
    They are fun and you sweat and smile all at the same time, what more could you ask for :)

What is plioxing?? xxx
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In terms of calorie burn (& in order of enjoyment.....) the three "r"s - running, riding & rowing.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    swimming !
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Running for me, even with a bad back, bad hip & bad knee
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Definetly....
    ZUMBA
    BOOTY CLASS
    PLIOXING

What is plioxing?? xxx

Crossfit and plyometrics?
  • missamielou
    Options
    Definetly....
    ZUMBA
    BOOTY CLASS
    PLIOXING

What is plioxing?? xxx

Crossfit and plyometrics?

Ahhh just googled - a cross between boxing and pilates?! Sounds rather strange xxx
  • ecicogna
    ecicogna Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ^ ^ ^

You get me?

ugh tabata's i love to hate you