Vegetarian and protein

Options
Hi I am struggling to get enough protein into my day. I am a vegetarian with an intollerance to most nuts and don't like soy replacement type foods, Apart from tofu and eggs any suggestions? I am falling about half my protein amount short each day?
Thanks

Replies

• shapeup6
    shapeup6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try black beans if you like them. A cup has about 15g of protein. I only buy the low sodium or no sodium beans and season them myself since the sodium can get pretty high. If you eat dairy maybe you can try reduced fat string cheese which has about 8g of protein.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    There is a protein powder from Rainbow Light that is vegetarian/vegan OK. I used to use that pretty regularly - when I was still a vegetarian. I am now lifting heavy and have brought back fish and chicken into my diet.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, other types of cheese.

Edited to add edamame. I know you said you don't like soy replacement type foods, I'm assuming you mean processed stuff like Boca Burgers and Morningstar Farms stuff.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4771/10-Vegan-Sources-of-Protein.html

This might help! Also, Seitan has a lot of protein in it (about 24 grams for 4 oz)
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yoplait Greek 2X Protein yogurt - 8g protein per serving
    Yoplait Greek 2X Protein with Granola - 12g protein per serving
  • mrnedburns
    mrnedburns Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a non meat-eater who is 6'4" and active. I was always under on protein by far but didn't notice any problems until I started some strenth training. I settled on a combo of skim milk, almonds, and protein bars. It sounds like the milk and almonds won't work for you so you'll need to go with something else. I get "Pure Protein" brand protein bars from Costco. They're between 175-200 calories each, but 20g of protein. Maybe those will work for you. Just be careful shopping for them... some of them have quite a bit of sugar/carbohydrates relative to the amount of protein you eat.

With all of that said, I've read on this site and others that we are too obsessed with protein and if you eat a diet including a lot of fresh vegetables you're probably getting the compounds your body breaks the protein down into anyway.

Good luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    beans and legumes...quinioa, wheat and other grains...
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I, too, am vegetarian - 1 cup of nonfat greek yogurt from Trader Joe's is 120 calories and 22g of protein. 9 tablespoons of egg whites are 75 calories and 15g of protein. Lots of skim cheeses have a lot of protein as well.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    the only way i have ever been able to hit my macros on a veggie diet was strategic use of protein powders. Yes, it's processed, but it gets the goods in the system!
  • Raya1980
    Options
    Spinach, I always put it my sandwiches and omellets.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    oh and I happen to believe hitting macros is key to a strength training program, but also to a flat tummy. I notice when I hit my macros, my belly is a lot flatter looking than when I'm loading up on carbs and fat. Just sayin'. that's my two cents.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans, quinoa, peanut butter.
    Not only can you be vegetarian and eat enough protein, but you can be vegan (non-dairy) and do it too...
    Here's a good link: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
    Here's a Vegan Bodybuilding site: http://veganbodybuilding.com/
    There are tons of ads on there for stuff that might help you.
  • jamical
    jamical Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    With all of that said, I've read on this site and others that we are too obsessed with protein and if you eat a diet including a lot of fresh vegetables you're probably getting the compounds your body breaks the protein down into anyway.

Good luck!
    [/quote]

I agree with the above statement. I've been veg for 18+mos and have been lifting heavy for the past 6+mos. and have seen some great progress so far...lots of definition and tone. Most days I'm below my protein goal but it hasn't' affected my strength gains or weigh loss at all.

Recommendations: beans, beans, beans (agree w/ the other poster about the salt content, so I try to boil or prep my own)...lentils, edamame, quinoa, lots of fresh veggies and fruits and cheese here and there. (I try to keep it to 2 oz or under per day to monitor the fat content, but everyone's different). I also eat greek yogurt on occasion and drink almond milk (tastes good once you get used to it and doesn't have any soy in it). As far as protein powder goes, when I do use it (I add it to my recipes/food, I never drink it straight w/ water...can't stomach the taste/consistency) I buy the Pumpkin Protein Powder. I think Omega makes it. It's vegan/veg friendly and does the job. Not a lot of added chemicals, etc. like some of the other protein powders out there.

Hope this helps!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    protein is over rated.

ha ha! not so much in my situation.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    oh and I happen to believe hitting macros is key to a strength training program, but also to a flat tummy. I notice when I hit my macros, my belly is a lot flatter looking than when I'm loading up on carbs and fat. Just sayin'. that's my two cents.
    Completely agree with this 100%
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Garden of Life makes a great protein powder based on a variety sprouted seeds. I use it in my smoothies.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031JK96C/ref=ox_ya_os_product
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    protein is over rated.

ha ha! not so much in my situation.

It's not how much you consume it's how much you use. Excessive amount of protein just gets stored as energy. So consuming too much is wasted. The less you consume, the better utilization you'll get out of it. Within reason.

agreed, but theres no way to know how much you are using...so it wont hurt to eat more of it and less of the other things. I didnt have muscle like this until I upped my protein levels. didnt change my workout routine at all so i guess i wasnt taking in enough before. but how would i know?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My opinion:

Vegetarians ought to *seriously* consider adding hemp seeds to their diets. Hemp seeds are one of the rare plant-based sources of complete protein, in addition to having the perfect ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6, making it like a 1,2 punch to give your body protein. The Nutiva hemp protein powder that I use for smoothies is 90 calories for 15 grams of protein. Honestly, you can NOT get a better, natural source of plant-based protein than hemp seeds.
  • beaujolly
    Options
    Thanks i will give it a try:)
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My opinion:

Vegetarians ought to *seriously* consider adding hemp seeds to their diets. Hemp seeds are one of the rare plant-based sources of complete protein, in addition to having the perfect ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6, making it like a 1,2 punch to give your body protein. The Nutiva hemp protein powder that I use for smoothies is 90 calories for 15 grams of protein. Honestly, you can NOT get a better, natural source of plant-based protein than hemp seeds.

Oh, this is great info. Thanks!