A TDEE Exercise Question

Options
Kekibird
Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
Alrighty so I think I got this TDEE calculation thing down and it seems to work for me. I do have one question about extra exercise calories and TDEE.

I run/jog in the mornings, roughly about 2 miles and not very fast. I don't log the calories from the exercise since I have it factored into my TDEE for the day.

Today I ran and then my sister and I may run again tonight. See, we usually plan to run but it doesn't always happen so I ran this morning just in case we couldn't get out there after work.

I plan to log my second run with its deficit added to my day since this workout would put me over my usual daily calorie burn.

Any TDEE method users out there that have dealt with the issue of a double workout day have a suggestion? How did you log your calories burned and how did you deal with the extra deficit?

Replies

• jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump.. I'd also like to know.
  • tigs728
    tigs728 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too as quite new to all of this. :wink: I have factored 3 gym sessions into my daily cals (TDEE-20%) and think I should eat back any further exercise calories as most of that is unplanned ie long walks which are quite full on at times. Have strapped on the HRM to figure the extra cals. I then put the unplanned excercise/cals into MFP and eat up to that new total. Is this the right way to go?
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Since my workouts vary by length and intensity, I log that my daily activity is basically sedentary and then log every workout I do individually.

It takes a little more work on my part, but it gives me more accurate results each day
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Alrighty so I think I got this TDEE calculation thing down and it seems to work for me. I do have one question about extra exercise calories and TDEE.

I run/jog in the mornings, roughly about 2 miles and not very fast. I don't log the calories from the exercise since I have it factored into my TDEE for the day.

Today I ran and then my sister and I may run again tonight. See, we usually plan to run but it doesn't always happen so I ran this morning just in case we couldn't get out there after work.

I plan to log my second run with its deficit added to my day since this workout would put me over my usual daily calorie burn.

Any TDEE method users out there that have dealt with the issue of a double workout day have a suggestion? How did you log your calories burned and how did you deal with the extra deficit?

The whole point of TDEE is to calculate your calorie intake, regardless of "extra" workouts... I honestly figure most people place themselves in the wrong activity category. Running most days of the week would more than likely get you to the fairly active category. I would not count it as a deficit and eat extra, but that's just my $0.02 worth.

I use MFP strictly for logging calorie intake. I don't factor in exercise on here anymore at all.

Hope that might be helpful.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would just consider it a bonus and not worry about it specifically. If you want to account for it then maybe just have an extra something to eat after you go and don't worry about going over your calories today.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I would probably do the opposite. I calculated my TDEE as sedentary though, so that way I have more incentive to exercise. But honestly, I don't think it matters unless you are hungry, and if so, then eat something. Do what works for you. A couple hundred calories on a random day doesn't make any difference. Long-term consistency should be your concern.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

You are looking at TDEE incorrectly. TDEE is for your normal lifestyle without working out. Working out should be added ontop of your TDEE number.

If you have a desk job, you are sedentary. The only reason to put it higher then that is if you have a job that requires you to be on your feet alot. Things like Construction job, Sales Person, Waiter/Server, Mechanic or really any job that requires you to move and be on your feet for 8 hours would be classified higher.

If you have a desk job...you are sedentary...doesnt matter if you run a marathon per day....all that stuff gets added to your TDEE.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    This is what it ask you about TDEE when you filled in your profile. That has nothing to do with the next part that asks you about working out. The next question is to that if you go to your exercise area it shows if you met your goal or not. Just choose whichever of these description fits your regular daily life and then exercise is something you can decide whether you want to eat back or not.

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)